Final bluefin trip to NC in 2014

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

After New England Saltwater Show in RI, I made a final trip to NC for bluefin this year.

Weather was gorgeous. This was the best weather I've seen in Hatteras/Oregon Inlet for a long time. 
Capt Andy said no boat found tuna yesterday, but he was very confident to find them today.

We opted trolling first to locate fish, but no boat couldn't locate tuna in the morning.  Capt Andy decided to go tile/seabass fishing as no boat found 
tuna.  While fishing tile/seabass, Capt got a call from other Capt that they found tuna. We were about to head for the dock, but Capt Andy ran 15 miles 
to the area where they found tuna. 

We saw 6 - 7 boats there and half of them were fighting. We opted trolling first.  We got the first tuna within 5 minutes after we set up green stick.
I saw monster fish crush bait on the surface. Timmy fought fish, but unfortunately the big tuna pulled the hook. While Timmy faught fish, I went to the 
bow and made cast as tuna were everywhere on the surface, but they wouldn't come close to the boat.

We trolled again and it took more than 10 minutes when we got hit. This time we got three tuna at the same time. It was a chaos before we settle down. 
IMG_5637_zps2a977b6a.jpg

IMG_5636_zps0d11c08b.jpg

IMG_5665_zps5e1cfa60.jpg

IMG_5646_zpsb43c623d.jpg

IMG_5647_zpsfecdc5b5.jpg

P1090343_zps70178e57.jpg

P1090338_zps5e09ed68.jpg

IMG_5635_zpsdc80837f.jpg

IMG_5670_zps58622300.jpg

IMG_5675_zps1533d3a0.jpg

IMG_5676_zpsd5644c83.jpg

P1090354_zpsd4604986.jpg

As it took time to fight three tuna at the same time, we lost an opportunity to catch them on poppers. But nobody complained because tuna they were 
fighting were their first ever or their personal best. There were not small tuna at all.
Tuna crushed on the surface everywhere for an hour.
It reminded me of Cape Cod a few years ago when tuna popping was in the prime.

When we got back to the dock, it was almost 8:00 pm. Our trip became 15 hours trip. Thank Capt Andy for your dedication to catch tuna for your customers.

This is my last trip to NC for bluefin this year.
I made only three trips this year and had tuna on each trip. I am not human banana anymore.
Funny thing was I didn't see single banana on the way down to NC for all three trips even I stopped by grocery stores and WaWa a few times.

I will go up to Cape Cod in June and fish Southern NJ/Maryland in July for bluefin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users