Goliath Grouper out of Clearwater, Fl

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

We went to Florida to test Black Hole rods for goliath grouper, but got only 100 lb small goliath grouper on that trip.
I talked with my fishing friend Carlos who moved down to Clearwater, Fl from NJ a few years ago, he said there is good population of goliath grouper there.
I checked weather and it looks great this Sat and Sun. Why should I wait for ? I just bought a ticket to Florida.

The main purpose of the trip is to test Black Hole rods for goliath grouper, but Carlos mentioned that there are lots of red fish and sea trout there. When I asked whether they catch sheepshead, he laughed and said he got 20 sheepshead from the pier last week. It is going to be fun trip.

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

I was concentrating on tackle not realizing goliath grouper are reluctant to bite on certain condtion like other fish.
Frank who own 30 ft center console chose to run 40 miles as he thought inshore water temp is too cold.

They use 450 lb cable for goliath grouper.
Hook comparison with 11/0 JM Monster assist hook

IMG_4130_zps3976b5d9.jpg

I got to try again for goliath grouper soon.

After fishing on Sat, I slept 14 hours until 10 am on Sunday.
While driving to Jacksonville I got a phone call from Lydia. She said red drum fishing was on fire on Saturday night. Of course I turned my car around to the Inlet.
I'll post red drum report on a separate thread.

IMG_4175_zpsb07b4918.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users