Nc bluefin jigging reel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sglennjr

sglennjr
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

I posted this in the other section but I see there's not a ton of traffic so I figured I'd post in a few spots. Looking for a new jigging reel able to handle nc bluefin/nj bigeye. I'm interested in the alutecnos gorilla 20. I want a reel with lugs so I'm able to harness up if need be. Any reviews, all I've seen so far online are good, but I haven't seen many jigging reviews. Kil, have you fished this redl for jigging big bluefin ? Thanks in advance

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

I like JM PE8/10 for big bluefin in NC as the reels are proven in NC.
If you bought Gorilla 20, I can say the reel can handle big bluefin in NC.
When I choose a reel for big bluefin, the first thing I check is the max drag, the strength and line capacity of a reel.
It has to produce over 30 lb drag and endure the pressure of pulling by a big tuna.
I believe Gorilla 20 has all of them though not many fishermen tried it for big bluefin in NC.

#3 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:04 AM

The better choice is the PE8. While I don't own one I get to use one often enough. The only issue with PE reels is they get stuck in gear and won't go into freespool. You just have to smack the side of the reel once in a while and pretend to be "Fonzie".

I wonder if the ocean devils have the same problem?

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

The better choice is the PE8. While I don't own one I get to use one often enough. The only issue with PE reels is they get stuck in gear and won't go into freespool. You just have to smack the side of the reel once in a while and pretend to be "Fonzie".

I wonder if the ocean devils have the same problem?

If the PE8 get stuck in gear, it should be checked before it get worse. Maybe it is time to replace drag washers of the reel.

One reel I can recommend is Avet HX Raptor reel. When Avet developed HX reel a few years ago, I was very disappointed.
But the new Raptor HX reel is totally different from original HX reel now with more max drag and less binding issues.

#5 sglennjr

sglennjr
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Kil and Angelo, thanks for the replies, but I know the pe8 does not have lugs. I plan on fishing up to 40 lbs of drag if need be and I'll need a harness for this. The PE10 is on my list, but not PE8. Alutecnos gorilla either 12 or 20 is what I'm leaning towards, or accurate dpx2 30n any reviews of this accurate reel ?

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Kil and Angelo, thanks for the replies, but I know the pe8 does not have lugs. I plan on fishing up to 40 lbs of drag if need be and I'll need a harness for this. The PE10 is on my list, but not PE8. Alutecnos gorilla either 12 or 20 is what I'm leaning towards, or accurate dpx2 30n any reviews of this accurate reel ?

If you want to choose between Gorilla 12 and 20, I recommend 20 because Gorilla 12 is not big enough and strong enough for big bluefin in NC.
See the size comparison of Gorilla 12, JM PE10 and Shimano Trinidad 40 which is the same size of Ocea Jigger 5000P.

IMG_3858_zpse27be329.jpg

IMG_3861_zps51f0a2f9.jpg

See the arm length of Gorilla 12 and JM PE10. Gorilla reels can not match with the enormous cranking power of JM PE reels because the arm is much longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users