Red Hot Bluefin Bites in Hudson Canyon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

Bluefin started to show up in Hudson Canyon last December.
Once they show up in certain areas, they continue to show up at least a couple of years and I was looking for fishing report in
Hudson Canyon. Sure enough they showed up during Thanksgiving about 10 days earlier than last year.

It looks ridiculous fishing going on now as some boats had 10 plus bluefin and many of them are giant over 73 inches.
Commercial limit is increased to 5 bluefin over 73" a day and there are lots of commercial boats working the area now.

I tried to go, but I couldn't find a boat because most fishermen I know who have boats pulled their boats out of water for
wintering. I plan to fish Hudson Canyon on jigs as soon as I come back from Puerto Vallarta trip from Dec 7 to Dec 15

#2 Gladiator

Gladiator
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Kil,

Hope all is well and you and your's had nice Thanksgiving trip.  We had lots of fun on Yuri trip last week.  Lots of firetruck red grouper (I think we stopped counting at 31 keepers up to 20#), nice big cobia, giant yellowtail snapper (not as big as Bermuda though ;), and a decent showing of muttons although not like last year's trip.

Did you try the big blue boat out of Manasquan?  Barn sponsor.  Not sure if they pulled yet, but doubt it as they are crazy fishermen like you and I.

Other option may be to give Capt. Steven Jr. a call in Montauk on Viking Fleet.  He and Capt. Bobby were talking about running the 5 star to the edge for the giant Bluefin.

Wish I could join but am back in South Florida for a couple of months to warm my bones.

PS I am having to back out of a Yuri 4 day trip that leaves KW around January 2nd.  The entire crew is from N.J.  Very very good anglers who you probably know from Atlantic Star, etc.  Call me on my new number if you are interested in taking my spot.  Cell: (551) 574-5114.

Tight Lines,

Frank

PS #2: Kil, I just called the boys in Montauk; they rolled out of the barn this past Sunday, and it sounds like with special permit in hand they will be bringing back a lot of Bluefin for the long flight to Tokyo.  I left a message for Bobby to call me when they get back; probably in the next day or two. 

Edited by Gladiator, 03 December 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Frank,
how have you been ?
You are pretty quiet on internet recently.
I read your trip report. It looks fishing was great as usual with Capt Yuri.

I read many fishermen get interest in Pulled Ridge trip out of Key west. Even I never fished there, I don't feel like to fish there at the expense of fabulous mutton snapper and grouper fishing in Dry Tortugas.
In Pulled Ridge, you never know what you catch next as they say they could as many as 25 different species in deep water.
When I go tuna fishing, I want to catch only tuna and when I go grouper fishing, I want to catch only grouper.
Mutton snapper and grouper fishing is so much fun for me, I like to concentrate on both species and nothing else. :)
I heard they catch lots of blackfin tuna and they love to catch them. But not for me. Blackfin was a nuisance to catch yellowfin in Gulf of Mexico because there are too many.

It is the same old story. When fishing is good, I have a hard time to find a boat.
Most guys I know pulled their boats out of water already even I warned them not to do it as I know bluefin fishing should be fantastic in Dec. I could co today as weather is fine, but big shipment are coming from Black Hole and JM today.
I have to wait until Dec 15 after I come back from Puerto Vallarta trip

#4 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

Now Kil, you know we'd love to have you join the Pulley Ridge trip in July.  I hear those queen snapper taste much better than muttons. :)

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

I love to eat fish, but I usually don't bring fish home when traveling.
But if anyone wants to fill his/her freezer with fish, it is the trip as you can catch lots of varieties of fish.
July is not a good month for me, as I plan to fish Ascension Island in July next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users