Rod Match For Jigging Master Arrester

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

Looking to match my newly ordered Arrester reel used for boat fluke only. What do you think of the Shimano Terez Rods?

#2 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

I'll give a better response this time around:

I really think fluke are creatures that make me understand my fishing ability. They make me question if i know what a fish bite or fish tug feel like. They make me wonder if I can distinguish between an "on-the-hook" nibble or if they are only interested in the nibble.

After some years of fishing for them them I realize I'm just a humble angler and those days of "slaughter & fish murder" are few and far in between.

Anyhow, what I'm trying to get at is for you to understand that finding a rod to match your ability may be as important as understanding your ability. To bend a rod before buying it is the best decision you can make.

If you are bouncing lead heads and spros or dropping and dragging strips you'll really want to ask what type of action goes best with each other.

I like the tescata by Shimano because of the light tip. Yes, I really want to use the lightest tackle possible without problems. I also understand fluke will be tugging from the tail 90% of the time. They are just wired like that. So I want a rod that gives a bit so the hook doesn't tear out or doesn't make them feel the sharp tip of the hook and decide to spit. At times I will lose many a fish when they start tugging and I pull hard and set the hook or I anticipate too much and start frantically reeling in fast. This is probably the worst thing to do.

Anyhow, you didnt ask about technique or how to's so I'll stick to the rod.

There are hundreds of rods you can use. Test of the tescata if you are in a store and see what you think.

Edited by Enoch, 03 July 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#3 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Enoch! I will check out the Tescata and the Terez as soon as the reel comes in. I would like to bring the reel to the shop and check the rod and reel together.

#4 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

Did you pick one up?

#5 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hey Enoch!

No not yet, waiting for reel delivery. Missed delivery today hate that signature required. Want to match reel with rod, you know balance, weight, etc. Hope to have reel on Saturday. I will try to get to the shop this weekend. I'm not sure about the tescata, if it's a light tip, I sometimes need to use up to 8 oz to hold bottom. I will check out all my options as soon as I have the reel in my hands. Thank you for your advice it is highly appreciated.

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

If you like it for fluking, I highly recommend GLoomis light rod. My favorite is 6' CR723 GL2 or GL3.
Don't buy more expensive GLX or IMX model. They are lighter, but break easily.

#7 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

Kil been using Loomis MBR785C IMX with Daiwa Pluton, looking for a little more action. How does the CR723 compare to the MBR785C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users