Deep drop rods...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

From what I am able to tell, it seems to me that most of the guys up north who go deep dropping will use long rods.  Can someone explain the advantage of these rods over a shorter more parabolic jigging rod when deep dropping?  The only thing I'm able to determine is that the longer rod just allows you to keep your line away from the boat better.

Also, what recommendations do you have for deep dropping rods?

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

I used to use 7' - 8' long rod for deep drop and I experimented short rods in recent years.

When in crowded party boats, long rods have some advantage. It is much easier to set the hook with long rods.

The advantage of short rods is you feel bites better and the short rod gives you an advantage when fighting. The light setup of short rod is a big help when you hold the rod  on the rail.

More private boat fishermen start to use short rods for deep drop, but the majority of fishermen on party boats  still use long rods.

Tuna fishermen used to use 7' -8' long rod for jigging and many tuna fishermen prefer short rods for jigging nowadays..

#3 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, I've become a fan of shorter rods due to them being easier to use when fighting fish. I'm going to give my custom spiral wrapped BH350 a shot this next summer on a deep drop trip to the Pulley Ridge. I'll be using circle hooks so "setting" the hook will simply be a matter of lifting the rod tip and reeling, like I usually do anyway. Will also take a longer rod but hopefully will not have to use it. :)

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Here is picture  of nice 25 lb wreckfish with 5' 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special and JM PE7 reel.

With the light sepup, you can jig all day without fatigue. 

vikingtile05-20-11016_zpsf455d150.jpg

#5 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Nice! Some good eats right there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users