2012 Viking 7 day deep water tile jigging

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#1 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

After having a conversation with Capt Steven and Capt Carl I have decided to put together a special Jigging charter to the new tile grounds down south . The fishing down there is tremendous and the rock slabs have great potential for giant tile ,wreckfish and snowy's .
The trip will be 7days on the 140 ft Starship and will be limited to 22 max . They will be adding showers to the forward bunk room !

The dates will be July 8th - 14th and the fair will be $1200 . A deposit of $600 must be sent to the Viking office and must be a check or money order ,the remaining balance will be payed at the dock the day of the trip .

We will be leaving the dock @ 5pm on the 8th and will return @ 3 am on the 15th .

All ice ,bait and fish cleaning is included and there will be a cook running the galley who will cook three meals a day for a reasonable price .
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask with a post or pm .

Day 1 we will steam to the grounds

Day's 2,3,4,and 5 will be fishing sun up to sun down for bottom fish and we also plan on fishing a few nights for tuna and swords .

Day 6 bottom fishing sun up till sun down and then start to steam home .

Day 7 we will be steaming till we hit the dock .

1. ExtremeFisherman #8
2. Henry Roc #10
3. Dwayne #3
4. Matt W #69
5. Steve K #2
6. Eandersen #4
7. Sean holt # 16
8. mark H #65
9. Gary # 1
10. crazyleggers #82
11.Chris #83
12.Mike M #5
13.Pat #6
14.Brad W #7
15. Tom G # 9
16. Garone custom rods #68
17. Gary V #12
18. Jose Ruiz # 18

Posted Image
Epoxy Huffing

#2 crazyleggers

crazyleggers
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Ryan were you on that Slab Rock trip? Obviously I read the report on the viking site, sounded like an awesome time! I would be very interested in a jigging charter to those southern grounds!

Ralph

#3 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

Hi Ralph , yes I was on the rock slab and yes it was a great trip . If you can do 7 days then you are welcome to join us :) .
Epoxy Huffing

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

That would be an ultimate tile trip.
I could join the trip depending on dates.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

That would be an ultimate tile trip.
I could join the trip depending on dates.
If you can arrange to pick up fishermen out of Cape May, I don't see any problem to fill the trip.

#6 crazyleggers

crazyleggers
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

7 days jigging the deep for goldens would be a bit tough for me! I'll just have to grab some steroids for the trip lol. I am sure you will have tons of interest for the trip from many of the guys you fish with.

Ralph

#7 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Wow! Please make steady the dates. This would be an amazing time.

cheers

#8 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hi All, if the dates work it might be possible for me.

Edited by fishnh, 11 May 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#9 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

Im looking at the second week in July the 8th thru the 15th . Going to talk to Capt Steven in a few days .
Epoxy Huffing

#10 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Wow, talk about extreme. Dennis just pulled 7 fish from 25-40+lbs down south yesterday btwn him and his buddy on a private trip 800+.

Cruised 30knots on the way in.

Hate to sound like an elitist but i'd pay 1000 for 2 days fishing prime areas out of say Cape May, with a faster boat. What about the new boat, less people?

#11 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

Wow, talk about extreme. Dennis just pulled 7 fish from 25-40+lbs down south yesterday btwn him and his buddy on a private trip 800+.

Cruised 30knots on the way in.

Hate to sound like an elitist but i'd pay 1000 for 2 days fishing prime areas out of say Cape May, with a faster boat. What about the new boat, less people?

I don't think they have the new boat yet and the gulfstar went back to Fla.

#12 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

I hear ya Angelo , but we are going on the Starship not the Star . The starship is way bigger than the star , Capt Steven is the best there is when it comes to tiles and fishing with 25 on the starship is just like fishing with three on a 36 footer . We will be fishing off Virginia for fish allot bigger than 40 # . I did 8 days straight on the starship last year and I was perfectly comfortable . Lots of trolling time to and from the grounds .
Epoxy Huffing

#13 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:46 AM

At first I thought this was for this year as I almost started packing :)

Glad to see it is for 2012

#14 garone custom rods

garone custom rods
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Ryan I am in!

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Ryan,
When you talk with Capt Steve, check the possibility to pick up fishermen from Cape May, NJ.
5 day trip out of Cape May, NJ is much attractive than 7 days trip out of Montauk, Ny as fishing time is almost the same. Of course, gas spent traveling from/to Montauk is covered by fishermen.
It saves lot of traveling time and gets more fishermen.

#16 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

Kil ,there is no way Steve will go for that and if we leave from cape may we will only get 3 1/2 days of fishing. I already have the trip half filled and I don't think there will be any problem filling it :)
Epoxy Huffing

#17 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Mike I will add you to the list , Glad you will be coming !
Epoxy Huffing

#18 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

Kil ,there is no way Steve will go for that and if we leave from cape may we will only get 3 1/2 days of fishing. I already have the trip half filled and I don't think there will be any problem filling it :)

As long as you have no problem to get fishermen, there is no reason to change it. :)
Anyway it will be a history making trip.

#19 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

At first I thought this was for this year as I almost started packing :)

Glad to see it is for 2012

Dave I hope you will be able to join us . Im going on the StarShip on Sunday and will have everything sorted when I return . Going to try to make it limited to 20 guys instead of 25 . Capt Steven is very excited about the fishing on these new grounds , there is a dragger out of Montalk that has had fish over 70 # on a regular basis on these grounds . This trip will be hand crank only ,NO ELECTRIC REELS ALLOWED . I have 10 hardcore tile fishermen that have committed to go already . Once the trip is filled we will discuss food ,tackle and other issues . I would also like to get some sponsors to donate some products so we can do a product raffle on the steam down to the grounds .

Here are some pics from the exploratory trip to the Rock Slabs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Epoxy Huffing

#20 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

A few more
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Epoxy Huffing

#21 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

JIGNPOP will donate 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rod for the trip.
I tested the rod for jigging tile/wreckfish and I liked it a lot.

25 lb wreckfish on a jig with 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rod on the recent deep drop Viking trip arranged by David.

Posted Image

#22 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thank you Kil ! I saw 4 black hole rods on the last rock slab and lots of Jm reels .
Epoxy Huffing

#23 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

And 30 JIGNPOP hats will be donated to the trip for all 25 fishermen and crew of the boat.

#24 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

And 30 JIGNPOP hats will be donated to the trip for all 25 fishermen and crew of the boat.

I always hear about all these myster 70lbers Ry, go make it happen if there really out there :D !
You can call me first if the boat gets a 70 this weekend.

#25 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

No mystery angelo 100% fact that the dragger does catch them that big . Capt Steven and his brother commercial fished for them for many years and have seen them big like that also . The tampa had them to 80 # back in the day . Jeff from the voyager is now doing trips to these new grounds also , I wonder why ;) Do you think they only get as big as 63 # lol
Epoxy Huffing

#26 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

Ryan your going this Sunday? your a madman for these Tilefish trips.
Count me in for the charter. I might be able to get one or two more guys if needed but I do not think you will have a problem filling the trip :D

Edited by fishnh, 08 July 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#27 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

Ryan your going this Sunday? your a madman for these Tilefish trips.
Count me in for the charter. I might be able to get one or two more guys if needed but I do not think you will have a problem filling the trip :D

Dave , I am nuts for these trips , I have another on aug 1st . Love big tiles and cant get enough !
Really glad you will be joining us ! It is rumored that HJ will possibly be joining us also.
Epoxy Huffing

#28 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

That is very generous of you Kil !
Epoxy Huffing

#29 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

Dave , I am nuts for these trips , I have another on aug 1st . Love big tiles and cant get enough !
Really glad you will be joining us ! It is rumored that HJ will possibly be joining us also.

You are nuts :lol: I'll be down there again Aug 7th for the cultivator fluke-a-saurus trip.

Edited by fishnh, 08 July 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#30 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

I've heard stories about the Tampa too, and all the fish stories. All the pics I've ever seen about the Tampa had nice fish, but the old timers couldn't guess a 6 ounce sinker if it had a number 6 on it :P

Tilefish are tough to judge and all I'm saying is I haven't seen or believe there has been many fish over 70lbs, ever caught whatever the method. Not saying they don't exist I plan on finding one though, with a chip-n-dale (jack n ryan) bunker bait.

The guys in the old days are tellin fish stories because the head of a 50lb tile looks like an 70lb fish.

A lot of nice fish, but not even close.
http://home.comcast....logy/tf0971.jpg

Hell, I'd love to hear about you getting a 80lber this weekend, I'll be standing by :)

Single hook rigs and heavy leader and maybe we're find pudding to these UFO'S.

#31 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

It is rumored that HJ will possibly be joining us also.

If he comes, make sure he doesn't bring banana. He even trolled banana to catch fish. :)

#32 crazyleggers

crazyleggers
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

70 lbers and 80 lbers are out there for sure! Theres just too much ground out there for them not to be there! You just got to get the jig or bait right in front of it's face!! I also agree with angelo that old timers blow things out of proportion some times. As the years go by, stories get exaggerated. My fish get bigger as the WEEKS go by. But it must have been awesome catching quality golden's in 300-500 ft of water!

So is this charter going to be NO BAIT at all or more towards BAIT is frowned upon lol?

Ralph

#33 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Alright Angelo you don't need to believe that they get bigger than 63# , Do you think Capt Steven would run 260 + miles for fish stories and capt jeff would be running there a week after the rock slab :P . Fact is tile fish never stop growing and DM's fish was allot older than you .Right now my goal is a 50 on a jig . And as for the chip-n-dale baits ,they have won many pools on tile trips even when I sleep all day and fish the last drop ;) Just ask your buddy how well they worked on the Mark K charter . And IF I do get a 80 pounder this weekend I can guarantee it wont be caught on a left handed reel and a GAY circle hook with a rotten whiting .

Kil dont worry There will be no bananas or electric reels on this trip ! :D
Epoxy Huffing

#34 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

Ralph bait will definitely be allowed on the trip ,but there will be times when it will be jig only .
Epoxy Huffing

#35 Jumbo

Jumbo
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

Ralph, with arms and hands as big as yours you ought to be able to jig for a month straight

#36 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

A year away and I can't wait !!!!!!!!

#37 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

I like the chip and dale baits, I'm always first in line :) Refer to my bounty tile post. Would prefer giving my money to you so make it happen, or at least find a 80lb tile carcass.

#38 crazyleggers

crazyleggers
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

Ryan that whiting was fresh that angelo was stealing from mike g lolol :lol: at $5lb it better be fresh !!!

ralph

#39 gilhop2

gilhop2
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

who do you make reversions with the viking fleet or yourself thank you i would be interested

#40 stripstrike

stripstrike
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hey Ryan, I'm in for a seven day trip. I'm Dave D's friend and have been on the last two trips with Mark K's group. Glad to hear you found big fish on the trip after ours. Regardless of when, I'm in for next year if there's room.

Ken

Edited by stripstrike, 12 July 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#41 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

Hey Ryan, I'm in for a seven day trip. I'm Dave D's friend and have been on the last two trips with Mark K's group. Glad to hear you found big fish on the trip after ours. Regardless of when, I'm in for next year if there's room.

Ken

Hi Ken, Good to see you here :lol:
It didn't take long after I called you about this trip :lol:

#42 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Ryan, I just spoke with Mark K about this trip and he sounded very interested in it also.

#43 stripstrike

stripstrike
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

Hi Ken, Good to see you here :lol:
It didn't take long after I called you about this trip :lol:

Would have been quicker but I was at work. Should be another great trip. Kil, we've never met but this promises to be great site, thanks.

Ken

#44 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Quan also spoke about interest :thumbsu:

#45 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

Thanks Dave , hope they can both come . We are still working on dates , should be any day now .
Epoxy Huffing

#46 mk5381

mk5381
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Ryan,

Put my name on the list for now until dates are worked out. Hope I can make this happen.

Mark

#47 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Nice Mark ! hope you can make it happen , still working out the details with the viking ........
Epoxy Huffing

#48 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

The suspense :wacko:

#49 mk5381

mk5381
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

Ryan,

I am sure you have probably spoken to Steve by now. He called me the other day. Dates for my 2012 trip are set. He was looking to do yours either right before or after mine.

call me when you can

Mark

#50 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

Ryan,

I am sure you have probably spoken to Steve by now. He called me the other day. Dates for my 2012 trip are set. He was looking to do yours either right before or after mine.

call me when you can

Mark

Mark,
does it mean you fish on your charter and Ryan's back to back for 10 day tile fishing ? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users