rod and reel problem or my problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ashsmail

ashsmail
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hi I'm using a saltist 6500h and saltigaG 80-150 jigging rod . but I'm having the problem when I'm reeling the jig up its very heavy and very difficult to pull up. Why is this.

#2 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

there is actually a few reasons... 1. "hooked up" 2. your dragging something from the bottom when you hit the bottom with the jig and it pops off right before you get it to the boat 3.when it drops down it is possible that the hook on the bottom of the jig somehow hangs on to the main line while it was dropping down and it becomes a big weight instead of a sleek little piece of metal swimming through the water 4.you are not rigging up the jig properly  

#3 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

or if its actually when you are reeling like its hard to turnn the handle on the reel even if there's no weight on the line then there's something wrong with your reel... 1. your drag is slammed way down 2.when you did maintenance on the reel you did not put the bearings and other metal parts in correctly...if the reel is new it still could have a defect, when i bought a daiwa seagate brand new it simply would not reel the handle would not turn at all so that could also be a problem  :blush: hope this helps 

#4 ashsmail

ashsmail
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

There's no problem with the reel so I also think it's the problem with the rigging of the jig. Maybe I should try without the assist hook. but do you think it could happen due to the reels speed and rods tapper?

#5 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

no...the rods taper has nothing to do with it unless you missed a guide when your lining the line threw the guides but it should not be hard to reel up at all if theres nothing wrong with the reel then its the jig your dragging something from the bottom or its getting hooked on the main line when you drop it down

#6 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

well i mean unless your using like a Ultra Light rod with a 500 gram jig it would put some major bend in it just by reeling but it wouldn't be hard to reel up either way

#7 ashsmail

ashsmail
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Then I guess it's the jig problem. What about the line diameter and current

#8 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

that should not affect it unless you are using rope...you should be using braid for jigging even if your using 200lb braid still should have no problem with reeling it up

#9 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

even if ur using 200lb mono the current will affect it by pulling it a bit but still will glide right threw the water like braid

#10 ashsmail

ashsmail
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

So I should try jigging without the assist hook and see how the jig works. So I would know there's no problem with rod reel or line

#11 ashsmail

ashsmail
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thank chief for the great advice. I was actually feeling down because I bought these equipments and the shop people said this is the best so.

#12 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

No problem...it should work perfectly and when you put the hook back on and ur still snagging stuff on the bottom or catching ur main line try this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users