P.E.I. News in 2013

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

I am in P.E.I. now after fishing bluefin in Cape Cod yesterday.

No boat sailed today due to high wind. But weather looks good on tomorrow, Sun and Labor Day.

Herring run just started, but school of giant didn't arrived yet. It is just matter of time when giants move into the area from now on.  

The prime time to fish giant in P.E.I. is during herring run. Massive numbers of herring move into shallow water off north side of East End of the Island in last week of August and excellent giant fishing continues until early - mid Oct.

Giant start to show up from late June to early July off P.E.I. and you can expect good fishing here and there, but you are almost guaranteed to catch a giant if you fish during herring run. 

After fishing one day with friends from California, I drive down to Cape Cod to fish bluefin with Capt Jimmy the Greek on Labor Day.

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

I fished with Mel and his wife Rosie for giant on Aug 31 and Sept 1.

Mel fought a 600 lb giant on the first day and Mel fought again 900 lb giant and his wife Rosie fought 700 lb giant today.

We pulled a herring net, but we didn't see many herring yet. Even so, giant showed up around herring nets today.

There were about 6 hookups among 10 - 12 boats around the area where herring boats usually work.

Picture and detailed report will follow.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

After fishing in Cape Cod on Aug 29, I drove up to P.E.I. to meet Mel (Jureal) and his wife Rosie who flew from California for giant for the first time. I met groups of fishermen from California at Roller Bay Inn. 

Aug 31

We left from Souris.  This was my 10th trips to P.E.I., but it was the first time I sailed from Souris.

We started to catch mackerel just outside of the harbor.

IMG_1997_zpse9d6c7ec.jpg

th_IMG_1999_zps10a73e32.jpg

IMG_2000_zps4327c4f1.jpg

It was slow, but we were very lucky to hook up a giant drifing not far frim Souris Harbor.

The choice of hook is 12/0 Mustard circle hook

IMG_2002_zps5d22fa9b.jpg

Tuna On !!

IMG_2003_zpsc84a9ef6.jpg

IMG_2004_zps76c52d08.jpg

IMG_2007_zps42198823.jpg

IMG_2009_zps57da5160.jpg

IMG_2012_zpsc52de27f.jpg

For some reason, the giant didn't fight at all and Mel could bring 600 lb (esitmated) to the boat in 20 minutes.

But as soon as Capt Kirk touched the leader line, giant spit the hook. 

We had an observer of the Fishery Department and he ruled it is catch/release. So we went back to the dock for a second trip, but that was the only bite we had.

The observer confirmed that the minimum line is 130 lb and the fighting time is limited to 60 minutes.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Sept 1

We fished out of North Lake today and we had luck to catch and release two giant today.
The first fish was fought by Mel. We knew this fish is big as it almost spooled Penn 50W. 
Though Mel fought giant for the first time, he fought very relaxed and posed. 

It is about 112 inches which is roughly 800 lb  - 850 lb.
Congratulations Mel. 

Rosie foguht the second giant using fighting chair. 
You can see her smiling face after fight. :) I am very happy to see her fight the tuna and brought the giant to the boat. 
I didn't have pictures of the giant because the leader line got broken while Capt Kirk held the leader and I was busy to help them. 
It should be 600 lb - 700 lb giant.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Lodging/Food 

There is a motel and a cottage in North Lake Harbor where the charter boats sails.

The advantage of staying in the motel and the cottage is they are withing walking distance to the boats.

However, there is no restaurant in the harbor. ( the restaurant in the harbor is closed this year)

So, to eat foods at restaurants, you have to travel to Souris which is about 15 miles from the North Lake.

There are three restaurants in Souris

21 Breakwater

Black Fin

Sheltered Harbor Cafe

They are not fancy, but foods are decent. 

You need a reservation to eat at 21 Breakwater. The restaurant is new, but becomes very popular. 

There are several motels in Souris, but I recommend Roller Bay Inn  a few miles east of Souris.

The Inn becomes a meeting place of traveling fishermen.  

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Sept 4, 2013

Fishing was good today. Many boats had multiple hookups. Some nice 800 lb - 1000 lb were caught. 

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Sept 5

Good bites today. Most boats are returning to the dock for the second round. 

Bites become very consistent.

#8 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Captain Spencer had both fish by 10 am....Its time. I look forward to fishing with you on tues

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Sept 9/10

No boat sailed on Sept 9 because of northwest blow.

It was windy in the morning on Sept 10, but every boat sailed because wind direction is SW.

We had a hookup early in the morning, but the 200 lb main mono line got broken for unknown reason. 

we had one nice giant on kite and fight was on.  Joe tried first, but he gave up after fighting 30 minutes and John took over the fight.   Though it was John's first time ever stand up fight for giant,  he did a great job to bring 800 lb giant to the boat. 

This particular giant fought really hard.  The giant was on top on the left side of the boat and ran to the right at full speed. 

I rarely saw big tuna ran so fast on surface. I thought the rod or line could get broken. 

There were 5 - 6 custom Black Hole Giant standup rods. Some are as short as 5' and some are regular 6'. Some have aluminum reel seats and some have graphite reel seats for testing. Roller guides are used as well as regular guides (conventional and spiral wrap). 

Unless you bring standup gears, most charter boats in P.E.I. uses rod holder and fighting chair for fighting giant.

Joe who fought a giant for the first time couldn't fight long because of his physical condition, but he had a life time experience. He likes the life of P.E.I. and is considering to buy a property in P.E.I. for his family in summer. 

John took over the fight.

The 6' custom Black Hole Giant rod in action.  And also I am very impressed with the performance of Avet 50W T-RX for giant last in P.E.I. last two years.  I haven't seen any failure of the reels so far. 

Capt Spencer grabbed the leader and pulled the giant, but the line got snapped before taking any picture as I was video taping. I am going to post the video which shows the fight and the giant. 

We returned to the dock for the second round.  After resting for a while at the dock, we headed for fishing ground which is only 2 - 3 miles from the dock. 

Capt Spencer decided to pull herring net this time.  The net was full of herring and we had tuna marks on the screen immediately.  Instead of fishing, we decided to tease them with popper and bait.  We could see a few giant come up to the surface to take bait. My hookless Heru Skipjack popper had a massive attack by a giant.  But, when other boats moved in around us, giant disappeared.  

There were several herring boats and pulled the nets while two dozen fishing boats fishing around them, but we didn't hear any boat hooked up a giant in the afternoon. 

Apparently too many boats in small area in 50' - 80' spook giant. 

When I fished 3 - 4 years ago, there were only a few boats fishing giant.  Whenever we pulled the herring net, we were surrounded by giant and they took any bait we threw. But I noticed it changed from last year when we have 20 - 30 boats fishing in small areas together.   We marked giant on the screen, but they rarely came up to surface even we threw lots fo herring. This year becomes worse.  

When you pull the herring net full of herring, hookups used to be automatic, but not any more.

Here are a couple of  tuna on the screen when we pulled the herring net on our trip.

Here are tuna marks on the screen even without pulling herring net 3 - 4 years ago.

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

Here is a short version of fighting giant in P.E.I. on Sept 10, 2013

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Three days International Tuna Cup Challenge Tournament started yesterday ( Sept 11) in P.E.I.

160 fishermen joined the tournament. As I expected I heard fishing was slow yesterday. 

Giant fishing ground is very small and they  get spooked easily when many boats fish in very small areas as the dept of water is only 60 ft - 80 ft. 

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

Tuna Cup Challenge Tournament in PEI in 2013

25 teams joned the tournament this year.  

Bites were almost non-existent on the first day ( Sept 11).

I heard there were only 5 tuna caught yesterday. 

It is unbelievable because it is the prime season as herring spawning is in full swing now. 

Why does it happen ?  They blame the 3 degree drop of water temperature. 

But in my opinion, the boat traffic scared giant and they left the area temporarily .

It is not the same PEI anymore like a few years ago when there were handful charter boats. 

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

After the Tournament, giant start to bite again and two catches a day become norm now. 

I expect good bites continue throughout Sept and early Oct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users