Where are bluefin on the East Coast ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Bluefin behavior is very hard to predict.

Some giant were caught off Maine and Cape Cod.

But it seems majority bluefin are from Maryland to NY now.  It is hard to believe because water temp is over 77 degree there and bluefin doesn't usually stay long in such high degree.

Bluefin action was hot 20 - 30 miles south of Shinnecock, Long Island, NY for three weeks and it shows signs bluefin are thinning out from the area finally.

Lots of football size bluefin were caught around Chicken Canyon and bigger bluefin start to show up now.

Hot Dog has been hot with bigger size bluefin, but it is time to leave as water temp goes up.

However, bluefin start to show up Elephant Trunk or Lobster Claw areas off NJ.

Small bluefin are caught south of Martha's Vineyard. 

Giant fishing in Georges Band hasn't developed yet. But Aug/Sept are usually good time for giant there.

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Fishing was so and so in south of Shinnecock, Long Island yesterday.  Some tuna were located 6 - 10 miles east of where they normally fished. 

I heard 40 - 50 giant were caught on Stellwagen Bank by spotter plane/ seiners.  That is no good.

Hot Dog off Maryland still producing nice bluefin as of today, but you never know when they leave.

I plan to fish Hot Don on Wed, but I might switch to an overnight canyon trip depending on fishing situation 

#3 mako john

mako john
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thank you for the update Kil

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

We decided to go to Hot Dog on Wed as fishing report at Hot Dot was good.today.

It seems Canyon fishing is heating up. Some group has a good trip to Atlantis and I heard Fishtail is good now too.

Washington Canyon has been hot with small yellowfin and some nice bigeye and it seems Wilmington is turning from last couple of days.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

We got skunked. 

It looked they left the area just in time. :)

We heard there were good bites at Massey's when we arrived at the dock. 

So we headed to Massey's next day, but we didn't get a single bite. 

We might try bluefin in Chicken Canyon this weekend.

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

We fished bluefin on the Jenny Lee out of Brielle, NJ on Friday.  Fishing was good and we had 5 bluefin on troll and released 4. 

We fished Chicken Canyon.  

There are lots of bluefin off NJ this year.

Some giant were caught on Stellwagen Bank, Cape Cod and some nice bluefin were caught on troll off Chatham. 

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

5 tuna trips in 8 days including one overnight trip were tough even for me. :)

We started to fish Hot Dog and found fishing was very slow. We thought tuna left the area.

We fished Massey's next day as we heard one boat has a good trip there in the afternoon and found nothing there.

After one day rest, we fished Chicken Canyon with The Jenny Lee out of Brielle, NJ. It was fun trip and bluefin cooperated on troll. 

My friend's 60' Viking arrived at Cape May from Florida and we decided to go on an overnight trip to Washington on Tues/Wed (Aug 6/7).

We left dock around 11:00 am on Tuesday and stopped by Hot Dog on the way out.  Current was pretty strong for drifting. We stayed there for an hour without bites, but we saw some baits and occasional tuna marks.  The Viking was very comfortable with 31 knot cruising.  As soon as we got there, we started to troll for big eye. We trolled until dark without a hit, but a small boat right next to us had two big eyes in 200 lb range on troll.  We set up for yellowfin while drifting and it didn't take long we had out first yellowfin. Yellowfin bites were steady until we left 2:30 am for bluefin in Hot Dog. 

I must had about 10 hookups of yellowfin with 200g Super Sardine jig. 

Even we arrived at Hot Dog, I kept sleeping because I was very tired. I woke up hearing tuna pounding sound on the deck. Bluefin  on a jig !!  My friend dropped my Super Sardine jigs to the bottom and had instant bite after moving jig up and down a few times. It was about 90 lb tuna.  I dropped a jig and had a hookup on the way down, but it pulled the hook.  after catching a few skipjack on jgis we headed for Cape May.

The Super Sardine jig was beaten up after catching about 10 yellowfin and one bluefin.

The 60' Viking is a gorgeous boat.

After arriving at the dock at 1:00 pm, they wanted to go to another overnight trip to Washington Canyon in the afternoon as new group is coming from Detroit. 

But weather didn't look good and I had to go back to my shop as I has a trip to Cape Cod on Fri/Sat. 

As they really wanted to go and we decided to go for bluefin in Hot Dog on a day trip on Thurs. (Aug 8).

We left dock at 3:00 am. We searched bait or tuna marks when we arrived there. Nothing.  We stayed there until 9:00 am and went back to the dock. 

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

5 tuna trips in 8 days including one overnight trip were tough even for me. :)

We started to fish Hot Dog and found fishing was very slow. We thought tuna left the area.

We fished Massey's next day as we heard one boat has a good trip there in the afternoon and found nothing there.

After one day rest, we fished Chicken Canyon with The Jenny Lee out of Brielle, NJ. It was fun trip and bluefin cooperated on troll. 

IMG_1700_zpsa134116f.jpg

IMG_1707_zps1f911902.jpg

IMG_1710_zps8f2703dd.jpg

My friend's 60' Viking arrived at Cape May from Florida and we decided to go on an overnight trip to Washington on Tues/Wed (Aug 6/7).

We left dock around 11:00 am on Tuesday and stopped by Hot Dog on the way out.  Current was pretty strong for drifting. We stayed there for an hour without bites, but we saw some baits and occasional tuna marks.  The Viking was very comfortable with 31 knot cruising.  As soon as we got there, we started to troll for big eye. We trolled until dark without a hit, but a small boat right next to us had two big eyes in 200 lb range on troll.  We set up for yellowfin while drifting and it didn't take long we had out first yellowfin. Yellowfin bites were steady until we left 2:30 am for bluefin in Hot Dog. 

I must had about 10 hookups of yellowfin with 200g Super Sardine jig. 

IMG_1711_zpsd3b4c15b.jpg

IMG_1712_zps826af33c.jpg

Even we arrived at Hot Dog, I kept sleeping because I was very tired. I woke up hearing tuna pounding sound on the deck. Bluefin  on a jig !!  My friend dropped my Super Sardine jigs to the bottom and had instant bite after moving jig up and down a few times. It was about 90 lb tuna.  I dropped a jig and had a hookup on the way down, but it pulled the hook.  after catching a few skipjack on jgis we headed for Cape May.

IMG_1718_zps9ce05d1b.jpg

The Super Sardine jig was beaten up after catching about 10 yellowfin and one bluefin.

IMG_1715_zpsfe811790.jpg

The 60' Viking is a gorgeous boat.

IMG_1725_zpsfe10ab62.jpg

IMG_1729_zps61ee3886.jpg

IMG_1735_zps6d059894.jpg

IMG_1731_zps5a2ca9d9.jpg

After arriving at the dock at 1:00 pm, they wanted to go to another overnight trip to Washington Canyon in the afternoon as new group is coming from Detroit. 

But weather didn't look good and I had to go back to my shop as I has a trip to Cape Cod on Fri/Sat. 

As they really wanted to go and we decided to go for bluefin in Hot Dog on a day trip on Thurs. (Aug 8).

We left dock at 3:00 am. We searched bait or tuna marks when we arrived there. Nothing.  We stayed there until 9:00 am and went back to the dock. 

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

it is disgusting bluefin seiners kill small tuna off Cape Cod.  They can not keep any bluefin under 73" (210 - 230 lb),

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

We are going out again tomorrow morning in search of bluefin out of Brielle, NJ.

We plan to fish Chicken Canyon or Coimbra areas depending on fishing reports.  After fishing there a few hours, we plan to run to Hudson Canyon for bigeye triolling.

Big eye catches were great in Tails and Atlantis Canyon, but there are simply too far. 

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Some giant in 600 lb - 800 lb were caught around Regal Sword off Chatham recently. 

BB Buoy and Regal Sword are traditional giant spot. 

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Aug 11 and 12

We left Brielle, NJ for Hudson Canyon on the Five Star just after midnight on Aug 11.

There were about 30  - 40 boats already when we arrived there before dawn. We started to troll for bigeye without success. We heard one boat had as many as four big eyes in the morning.

We trolled all day without any hit though we marked tuna here and there.  The 60' Canyon Runner arrived in late afternoon and had two hookups of bigeye within two hours next to us.

The Canyon Runner fighting a nice bigeye.

Weather was gorgeous and pilot whales are everywhere.

After 9:00 pm, we decided to drift for yellowfin or swordfish, but we didn't get any hit until 2:00 am. I had to make a decision to continue to drift or to go the somewhere else.

I opted to go inshore for bluefin as I didn't expect any better while drifting though bluefin reports were not great. 

To my surprise, full of life was there when we arrived there. We saw whales and tons of bait on the surface. We started to mark tuna soon while trolling, but we didn't get any hit. 

We had to go back to the dock by 11:00 as one guy had to fly back to California. As we had one hour fishing, I decided to drift for jigging. It was a good move and we had three nice bluefin hookups on jigs in one hour.  But we lost all of them for stupid mistakes. 

Two was caught on 200g Super Sardine jig and one was on 270g FCL Labo spot glow jig. 

We were really disappointed we didn't have any tuna on this trip, but we are very happy we know where bluefins are.  They are going back to the bluefin spot again tomorrow, but I can join on Thursday's trip as I have to work in the shop tomorrow. 

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Aug 15

We left out of Shinnecock at 4:30 am.
It took about one hour to get to the destination. It didn't take long before he had bluefin on troll. It was a small bluefin which was released. Small bluefin in 10 - 20 lb range invaded into the area.
We had a nice bluefin on troll, but it pulled hook. As we mark good, we decided to jig. I had three hookups with bleufin upto 40 lb with 200g Super Sardine jigs in short order.

After playing with small tuna with jigs until 10:30 AM, we decided to fish fluke. We didn't have any fluke bait except a few squid. Capt James of the Hampton Lady gave us nice bait. Thanks James. :)
Fluking was excellent with nice fluke upto 8 lb.

Fishing is fun and eating fish caught is fun

Aug 16

We left Shinnecock around 7:00 AM. We saw lots of boats jigging.
We soon as we marked tuna, we started to jig.
It looked good bites were in early in the morning. After catching one small tuna on jigs in two hours, we went wreck fishing for cod or seabass. After searching around for a while, we located a couple of wrecks, but we didn't get any bite.
So we decided to go fluking again. On the way to fluke ground, we encountered massive school of bunkers. It looked striped bass or bluefish were under the bunkers.

Fluking was not as good as yesterday's due to fast drift, but we could pikced away nice fluke.

[/url]

Aug 17

I was going to South of Martha's Vineyard/Fishtail, but fishing report s were not great thought I heard some nice bigeyes were caught around Fishtails. So we decided to go to bluefin ground though we expected mob scene because it was Saturday and wind was calm.
We decided to leave early at 4:00 AM.

We saw a few whales when we arrived at the destination, but we didn't mark tuna for a while. After trolling a couple of hours, we finally started to mark tuna in the same area. We saw two boats nearby fighting tuna. Then, I heard screaming sound. Tuna On !!
I knew it was a nice tuna because it took lots of line.
Two fishermen fought the fish alternatively, but they both gave up and nobody wanted to fight. So unfortunately I had to fight. :)
I could increase drag because the 50W reel has 130 lb main braid line and 200 lb mono leader line, but It didn't tough the drag because I didn't lose this fish. After I got the 200 lb leader line, I increased drag and Cliff gaffed perfectly when it came up to the surface.
The is the first tuna over 100 lb on this new boat. Mission was accomplished.
When we weighed it at the dock, it was 119 lb dressed. It could be around 140 lb. We left tuna ground at 9:30 AM and went for fluking.
After fluking until noon, we went to the dock.
What a great day in fine weather.

#14 Bucktail

Bucktail
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

Nice report.  How do you work those sardine jigs?  Like a butterfly jig or like a diamond jig?

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

The 60' Viking Five Star is still fishing out of Shinnecock, Long Island for bluefin as bluefin are still there in south of Shinnecock and bluefin reports in Cape Cod is still sporadic. 

Until bluefin fishing in Cape Cod becomes consistent, we are going to fish south of Shinnecock. The boat fished yesterday and got 40 lb and lost a nice one on troll. Whales came back and we marked more bait now and it seems bluefin stay there for a while. 

We are going to fish bluefin south of Shinnecock tomorrow and Sunday.

#16 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Aug 24

We left late for blueifn off Shinnecock on Aug 24. It was pretty rough and we could see only a few boats in bluefin ground. We saw whales, but we rarely marked tuna on the screen.

We trolled and trolled. Then, we heard reel screaming sound. We thought it was a nice tuna, but it turned out to be white marlin !

We decided to leave the area as we didn't mark anything.
While trolling north heading for Shinnecock, we hooked up again.
It was 100 lb - 110 lb nice bluefin.

We were going to go to Hudson Canyon directly from bluefin ground, but we decided to head in because of stiff northeast wind.

Aug 25

We left for Fishtails at 2:00 am as we got good report of bigeye there. There were about 10 boats working there and we joined them.
A few bigeyes were caught around us, but we didn't have luck.
We checked bluefin ground for a couple hours for nothing. It seems bluefin finally vacate the area as we didn't mark anything.

it is time to move up to Cape Cod for big bluefin.

We had dinner at Hampton Bay Lady restaurant near the inlet.
They served bluefin sashimi with bluefin we caught.
Thanks Capt James and congratulations for your new restaurant business. All seafood are very fresh and excellent.

Nothing is like to have a drink relaxed after fishing. :)

#17 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Aug 24

We left late for blueifn off Shinnecock on Aug 24. It was pretty rough and we could see only a few boats in bluefin ground. We saw whales, but we rarely marked tuna on the screen.

We trolled and trolled. Then, we heard reel screaming sound. We thought it was a nice tuna, but it turned out to be white marlin !

We decided to leave the area as we didn't mark anything.
While trolling north heading for Shinnecock, we hooked up again.
It was 100 lb - 110 lb nice bluefin.

We were going to go to Hudson Canyon directly from bluefin ground, but we decided to head in because of stiff northeast wind.

Aug 25

We left for Fishtails at 2:00 am as we got good report of bigeye there. There were about 10 boats working there and we joined them.
A few bigeyes were caught around us, but we didn't have luck.
We checked bluefin ground for a couple hours for nothing. It seems bluefin finally vacate the area as we didn't mark anything.

it is time to move up to Cape Cod for big bluefin.

We had dinner at Hampton Bay Lady restaurant near the inlet.
They served bluefin sashimi with bluefin we caught.
Thanks Capt James and congratulations for your new restaurant business. All seafood are very fresh and excellent.

Nothing is like to have a drink relaxed after fishing. :)

#18 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

There were good jigging bites 25 - 30 miles off Chatham for several days.

But I have to wait until next week because I plan to go up to P.E.I. during Labor Days. 

#19 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hot tuna jigging bites continued today.

#20 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

Jigging has been great off Chatham for a week until today.
Today jigging was tough because stiff northeast blow.

Aug 28

Nick's group with Capt Jimmy the Greek on the On Time had good bites on jigs.

Aug 29

Nick's group fished again on the On Time. They encountered unexpected northeast wind and bites were off.

They finished with striped bass inshore.

#21 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Bluefin are still off Chatham, but not many boats could fish due to bad weather.

September will be very busy month for me to travel to Cape Cod and to P.E.I. back and forth. 

#22 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Fishing was good off Chatham today.

It only get better there for a while. 

#23 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

We have had good bluefin fishing near Regal Sword Wreck off Chatham, Cape Cod for weeks.

We expect better fishing in Regal Sword of BB Buoy as those areas are traditional bluefin spots in the fall. 

It looks better bluefin moved into the areas as the Five Star had 220 - 230 lb bluefin the other day on troll after losing  a couple on jigs. 

#24 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Sept 15, 2013 I fished with Capt Jimmy the Greek of the On Time for bluefin jigging off Chatham, Cape Cod. There were about 70 - 80 boats. I haven't seen so many boats in any fishing spot in Cape Cod. Amazing thing was many of them were jigging. When we got there, they were talking about catching bleufin rubber bait like Ron Z and bluefin didn't take irons. But I was confident they would take irons when they take any lure on jig. we had 3 out of 5 hookups for a half day. Two on FCL LABo SL jig and three on Super Sardine jigs. Jimmy gave Super Sardine jig to his friend boat they had one on the jig. Their Shimano Trevala rod got broken while fighting, but they still landed the fish. Bluefin hit jigs for several weeks there and it looks it get better. This is probably the best jigging bites in Cape Cod for a long time and it looks it get better when big tuna show up there soon. IMG_2133_zps2e0581f2.jpg IMG_2144_zps2c28e589.jpg IMG_2137_zps2c8ef462.jpg

IMG_2151_zps2275ff35.jpg[/URL] IMG_2152_zpsec5bb0c6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users