3 replies to this topic

#1 pommy

pommy
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

Goodaye Guys!

First post.

A Brit, but living in Lennox Head, NSW, Australia.

I currently fish for Bluefish, Small (2-5kg GTs) and Jewfish (2-25kg).

I fish with an 11ft Penn Big Game Surf and Daiwa Emblem Pro'6500A. (Also have a Stella 10 000 SW, but don't use it often off the rocks!)

I would like to ask the members if they think that newer reels, like the Sustain 8/10 000FG are better than the old Stellas, eg FAs.

Would like to particularly hear from Alan, who's posts I have followed and greatly respected, over the years.

Regards, Rob.

#2 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Welcome aboard Rob and thanks for the kind words :)

I would like to ask the members if they think that newer reels, like the Sustain 8/10 000FG are better than the old Stellas, eg FAs.

The Sustain FG is a redundant and overpriced reel. You pay a lot more for a Sustain over the price of a Stradic FJ and you don't get your money's worth in upgrades. In addition to that the FG has a problem with the spool hub/clicker that they can't seem to get right. There is no comparison to the Stella FA. The FA has a more advanced anti-reverse (the same one used in 2008 and 2013 Stella), superior drag, higher quality bearings, and they're full metal reels. The FG has plastic rotors and gearbox and only the frame is metal.

The above answer is based purely on reel vs reel merits. If you are considering a purchase though you have to consider other things such as the parts and support since the FA is 12 years old and getting parts or service could be very hard.

Best

#3 pommy

pommy
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Thanks Alan.

I've found your reports fascinating, over the last few years.

I'm interested in a reel that is solid and reliable. My Emblem Pro has been great over the last 3 years of fairly full on rock fishing. 122cm of line per turn/400mish of 30lb Jerry Brown/ and a fair drag (caught a 20kg Jewfish after 25 minutes on probably 5-6kg drag).  For a reel that was designed to be used in UK Carp fishing lakes - pretty good!

I've got a spare in reserve but the fish want a slower retrieve - we've gone from metals to Rooster poppers, to Maria Bullchops to plastics for the GTs and Jewfish, as they have become more wary. The bluefish will, of course take almosy anything!

Throwing 1oz plastics off rock headlands needs a bit of a slower retrieve, and a reel that can take a lot of spray/ salt water wash. Will most certainly look at Stella FAs as an option.

Shame that Daiwa are discontinueing the Emblem Pro 6500A, Great reel!

Many regards, from one of your many Aussie fans!

#4 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks a lot Rob and give my best to your fellow Australian anglers :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users