ASWB lures from Australia

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

I didn't have any knowledge about these lures until I fished in Southern Oman.
When I fished there, I noticed Ed of No Boundaries and Mark Harris carried them. After I observed a big GT was landed with one of ASWB, I asked questions about these lures.
Ed and Mark recommended these lures very highly. They said the lures are very effective for GT and very easy to use and the painting job is great.
The price range of the custom lures are from $50 to $80, which is not bad.

I brought two ASWB lures from Southern Oman and I am going to test the lures for bluefin in Cape Cod after Bermuda trip.
If you guys are interested in specific models, let us know.

SS = Sinking Stickbait / F1 = Surface Stickbait

- All lures are hand made and of the highest quality timber
- Water proofed / timber hardening soaked
- Painted in metallic Japanese Automotive acrylics. Variations to artwork may vary
- 8 layer Hardened epoxy clear finish
- Stainless steel components all machined

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

ASWBLures-StableBIGPHOTO_zpsfc919df5.jpg

#3 Mark Harris

Mark Harris
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

It will be interesting to see how these excellent lures go with northern hemisphere tuna.  The very best of luck Kil.

Certainly for GTs they are extremely effective, particularly the SS185 (a huge lure which is especially good in choppy conditions as it naturally sits just below the surface), and both sizes of the Bungarra (floating stickbait which is easy to work).  I  have personally caught several 40kg+ GTs and a host of smaller ones with those particular ASWB lures.

Some pics:

On ASWB SS185:

beast210inch_zps94ee92bf.jpg

ASWB185_zps0cc5b7a2.jpg

On ASWB Bungarra 170:

GT01Dec17_zpse52751b4.jpg

Edited by Mark Harris, 01 June 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Nice pictures, Mark.
Thanks for the recommendation for ASWB lures.
By the way, are you familiar with RAL lures from New Zealand ?
It must be good lures as some are talking about the lures on the other site.
But it looks they are awfully similar to Heru lures.

#5 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

Kil, I know these lures - they have been tested significantly up around the Islands (& with our YTK) and a growing number of Tropical Fisherman Swear by them.

Sam Morrison from Real Appeal Lures (RAL) is also a top notch Bloke, and he hand-makes them all himself.  He really seems to understand the mechanics around how a Popper and Stickbait actually moves in the water.  I would put them up there with the Expensive Japanese Stickbaits.  His detail and finish are just awesome. 

Here is his Facebook Page: https://www.facebook...6704362?fref=ts

hope that helps....

#6 Mark Harris

Mark Harris
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

I have held RAL lures Kil and they are beautifully made and finished. Sam Morrison seems like a really good guy.

I don't think he is copying anything but there are some similarities with established lures. His popper for example looks like a bit like a Carpenter Seafrog. But I am absolutely sure he is a stand up guy and is not copying.  These days it is so hard to make any lure look completely unique!

The only reason I have not bought any is that most of Sam's lures are a bit small for GT fishing. As Milkman said, the key target market is Kingfish. The size profiles would probably work for tuna as well.

I read that silly, ill-informed reply to your post about ASWBs at 360Tuna by the way....  :o  a ridiculous response to your very reasonable post.  It reminded me why I never bother going to that forum.

Edited by Mark Harris, 04 June 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

I only hear good things about RAL lures and the maker.
But it looks Heru lures and RAL lures are too close to be creative.
Judge yourself.

RAL lures
NewImage_zpsfab7f10a.jpg

Heru lures
IMG_0223_zpsd792ab66.jpg

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

I read that silly, ill-informed reply to your post about ASWBs at 360Tuna by the way....  :o  a ridiculous response to your very reasonable post.  It reminded me why I never bother going to that forum.

I didn't know the other shop carries ASWB lures in the US.
I guess they want to make sure that they are selling the lures in the US. I have no problem with it as long as ASWB lures are promoted.
It is my goal to promote good tackle to other fishermen.
Brad of ASWB said he contacted me two years ago, but I must ignored it because I didn't know about ASWB lures then and I get lots of sales emails from
various suppliers.

#9 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi Kil, with respect - Sam has not copied The Heru design, nor any others, i am sure of this. He spends a lot of time swimming his own designs and twaeking them. Also looking at the photos you can see that the profile of both lures is different... The Heru are more narrow/ tubular, whereas the RAL become more Bulbous around the head ( more like some of the Japanese designs imo)

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

When I saw the pictures of RAL lures, it was my impression that the lures are very similar to Heru lures.
I saw knockoff of Heru lures in Beijing show by selling $4 - $5. I believe someone tries to import the knockoff Heru lures to the US.
However, unlike knockoff jigs, it is not easy to make exact copies because quality is different, weight distribution is different and wood used is
different. I heard someone imported knockoff Heru lures to South Africa and it was total failure.

The problem of copy products are they sell cheaper. But it looks RAL is much high quality lure than Heru lures and are very expensive. GT fishermen love Huru Cubera and tuna fishermen love Heru Skipjack. But the painting job is not great.

#11 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

I now for fact that most of the new lure builders are coping others work and it is sad . Its one of the things that have killed my motivation for lure building and why I make lures mostly for myself and a few friends . most new builders make lures to catch fishermen , solid colors will out fish fancy paint every time IMHO .... All I need is two colors to catch almost everything , white and black .
Epoxy Huffing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users