Pre set your drag before your trip or not ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Folks , I've heard all kind of theories about the " pre setting drag "  before your fishing trip . Some say do not pre set your drag days before your trip as it might damage your drag washers  :unsure: .... IMHO , I'll call this one a myth .

The other part of the consensus says , set your drag once aboard the vessel .mmmm , seem reasonable but I bit of a hassle when you have 6 set ups.

So , do you think that pre-setting drags a couple of days before your fishing trip will hurt your  drags ?

Thanks

Edited by Anthony, 23 April 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#2 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

step 0. Know what fish you are targeting

step 1. get on the boat

step 2. get bait

step 3. get to fishing grounds

step 4. before you cast have your drag on the right setting so you wont be fucking with it when you have a big ass tuna on the end of the line

step 5. land that fish and go catch another one  :thumbsu:

#3 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

uh ? that didn't sound very pre dag setting or not . did I miss something?

0 .- aj, grouper, vermillion snap , Yft , bft , etc  .....

1.- K , were on the boat !

2.- get bait ??? we dont fish with live bait in TX 

3.- were getting there soon ... I hope

4.- Before I cast ? hold on a minute , what about jigging ? Here is the point I wanted to get " drag on the right setting  " so you pre set your drag on the boat ? 

5.- Before I land the fish ... need to figure first whether pre setting my drags days before is beneficial or not  :lolu: 

Thanks for the tutorial :rolleyes:  

#4 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Jigging - lesson

step 0.- get on the boat

step 1- get the jigs ready

step 2- arrive at fishing grounds

step 3- get rod/reel

step 4- release drag keep thumb on spool until the jig hits the bottom of the ocean

step 5- once jig has hit bottom reel that bich up as fast as possible

step 6- if no bites do not reel all the way up

step 7- drop her back down rinse and repeat until you get a fish on

step 8- repeat over and over until your arms feel like there about to fall off  :startle:

step 9- see a chiropractor 

step 10- do it all over again the next day. :lolu:

do not pre set your drag really big no no. 

#5 Mark Harris

Mark Harris
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Anthony, with a bit of practice, you can set your drags almost instantly by hand with no scale or tool required. Just practice at home getting to know what say 10 kgs feels like when you pull the line off.  After a while you will be able to do this almost instinctively.

I always set mine on the boat by hand. It is worth checking occasionally with a scale or drag checker that you are getting it right of course.

Edited by Mark Harris, 24 April 2013 - 04:59 AM.

#6 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Jigging - lesson

step 0.- get on the boat
step 1- get the jigs ready
step 2- arrive at fishing grounds
step 3- get rod/reel
step 4- release drag keep thumb on spool until the jig hits the bottom of the ocean
step 5- once jig has hit bottom reel that bich up as fast as possible
step 6- if no bites do not reel all the way up
step 7- drop her back down rinse and repeat until you get a fish on
step 8- repeat over and over until your arms feel like there about to fall off :startle:
step 9- see a chiropractor
step 10- do it all over again the next day. :lolu:

do not pre set your drag really big no no.

Oh wow....Chief you surely know your staff ! Love your lessons , keep em coming :rolleyes:
Btw , can you share with us why pre setting your drag is a no no ?

Thanks

Edited by Anthony, 24 April 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#7 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Anthony, with a bit of practice, you can set your drags almost instantly by hand with no scale or tool required. Just practice at home getting to know what say 10 kgs feels like when you pull the line off.  After a while you will be able to do this almost instinctively.

I always set mine on the boat by hand. It is worth checking occasionally with a scale or drag checker that you are getting it right of course.

Mark , thanks for your advise well appreciated.

Thats a good thought practicing at home , ive done a bit of re search . The idea of pre setting your drags before your trip is actually a wise idea before jumping of the boat . Setting the drag lets say a day or two before your trip will not harm your drag stacks ( according to consensus ) what it will damage your drag stacks is , if you forgot to loosen it one you're done fishing.

Does it make sense ? I think so , might go that route .

Again , thanks for your kind advise.

Edited by Anthony, 24 April 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#8 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

mark beat me to it lol :3...but i still wouldnt leave them on even for a day or 2 

#9 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

mark beat me to it lol :3...but i still wouldnt leave them on even for a day or 2 

Chief , still you haven't share why is a no no & why wouldn't you leave then on even for a day .Any specific reason ? 

#10 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

well i learned the hard way on that one when i was 12 my dad bought me a avet and we went on a fishing trip yada yada yada came back from the trip got some nice yellowtail and rockfish got home washed off the reels toke off the rod and put them in storage now i put accidently left the drag on max and like a month later we went out again and i noticed when i tried to reel the avet it was really hard so i put it on free spool and it was still hard to crank...so i toke it apart and i see that the drag is stuck to the reel spool from being on max for that long...long story short dont leave ur drag on period. i was young and immature in those days now im 14 and mature.

#11 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

it wasnt a new avet to so that was also adding to the problem :3

#12 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

rule of thumb .... after fishing .

1.- wash your rods throughly , soapy cloth is awesome . Let dry & apply a light coat of corrosion X , so those guides & reel seat won't corrode .
2.- Service your reel , did I say service your reels throughly , most important desemble your drag & apply drag grease if needed .
3.- Never , ever , never leave your gear unnatendet in your garage ... rod racks so you can see your toys at all times in case you've forgotten to back up an engage lever .

Back to topic ... I'll Pre set my drags at home the day before my trip , so I have time to sit on the deck , drink a beer or two & smoke some cigars.

Thanks Chief, hope you learned the lesson lol

#13 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Oh , BTW . I went ahead an ask the reel Guru himself 'Mr Alan Tani ' about this subject .
His words were , Pre setting your drag won't harm it all all even a week will be ok

#14 Chief

Chief
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

you learn somthing new everyday eh? well have fun and good luck on the trip.... after this 1.5 day trip im going on, all my reels are getting sent to get serviced :3

#15 Mark Harris

Mark Harris
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

It is hard to see why setting your drags the day before fishing would do any too much harm - just don't leave them screwed down for any length of time.

In my case I guest it is just force of habit and setting drag is just something I do every time I fish just before I start fishing.

Good luck Anthony!

#16 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Mark , its nothing much to over think about it or get stressed  . Merely curiosity , I also thought a day or two doesn't harm it at all . Do you think all those guys going on LR of 14 days are going to back up their drags after they done fishing for the day , to re set it again the day after...doubt it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users