Photo

Help - Which pacific island to popper fish?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Krabill

Krabill
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

I figured Kil and the crew here would be the best place to ask this question.

Its early planning, but this fall I should be in New Zealand for work (after Antarctica). I have a chance to pick any route home from Christchurch, New Zealand to LAX so long as its still heading to LAX somewhat.

Its always been on the bucket list to travel to a south pacific island, Fiji, Tahiti, Tonga, Solomon, Vanuatu, Christmas islands, anywhere. I also have no real idea about fishing these places other than what I have read online. I've spent years working on a charter and I could really care less about offshore trolling for billfish/tuna, I want to cast, especially popper fishing. I also don't really care what I catch, a GT would be nice, but I will take anything that will explode topwater. I would plan on staying about 3-4 days or so. Fishing from shore would be a major plus but I will also pay for a boat/guide at least one day. I also do not need anything fancy, not looking for $100 dinners and luxury. I can handle a half warm beer and a shack to crash in.

So, anyone have any recommendation on a place to stop by in the December time frame? I can take some gear with me too and will be by myself for the trip.

A bigger airport that flies to LAX on the way out would be a help, but I can hop too if needed.

Thanks in advance

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

I am looking for good GT/dogtooth destinations in South Pacific too.
Christmas Island can be a good place. Some guys had good GT trips there recently though sizes of GT are not big.

I met a guy in Marquises Island, French Polynesia who works big sportfishing boat which travels for fishing all around Pacific.
I asked where he recommend a good fishing destination and he said Vava'u, Tonga.
I made some research about fishing in Vava'u Tonga. In fact, Fukui san, Shimano Field Tester, got a nice GT from the shore there.
Here is fishing/lodging info there. They have a small 17' Boston Whaler and they even arrange land based GT fishing like Fukui san did.
The charter price is very reasonable.
I am very interested in visiting there myself soon

http://www.vavau.to/activities2.html

http://tv.shimano.co...tv/paradise_15/

#3 Mark Harris

Mark Harris
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Tonga and Fiji can be good and have well established GT popping operators. Would probably not be in the top drawer though.

I think Vanuatu is a better bet with good size GTs as well a very realistic chance of Dogtooth on poppers and stickbaits. Been looking a lot at Vanuatu and it is high on my bucket list at the moment.

The Pacific mecca of GT Popping though is New Caledonia. Only really rivalled by Southern Oman as a monster GT destination (with all due respect to Tanzania and Tokara).

Doing any of these places on a one or two day trip will not be easy though.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

I tried to fish Lau Group in Fiji which is way east of mai Viti Levu Island. Some posted about fishing in Lau Group, but the area I want to fish is totally different remote area.
When I fished Vanau Levu Island in Fiji, Capt told me about great dogtooth tuna jigging as well as GT popping where nobody fished before.
The destination is still on my bucket list. Capt said the area is much better than well known Kadavu where the Capt fished there many times.

I had a chance to fish New Caledonia when I fished New Zealand in 2005, but I chose to fish in Fiji instead.
I should have fished New Caledonia instead as GT popping in New Caledonia was not well known at that time and it was not expensive.

It is funny Mark mentioned about Vanuatu because I exchanged emails two days ago with a fisherman who bought 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special to fish dogtooth tuna on upcoming Vanuatu trip. I usually recommend 250g or 350g Black Hole rods for fish under 50 kg and he said there are big dogtooth tuna there.
I read fishing reports from Vanuatu last a few years and reports were not impressive. I might reconsider Vanuatu fishing and I am looking for the fishing
report for the fisherman who bought 450g Black Hole jigging rod.

map_of_fiji_zps48829c49.jpg

#5 Kurt Koncelik

Kurt Koncelik
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

I figured Kil and the crew here would be the best place to ask this question.

Its early planning, but this fall I should be in New Zealand for work (after Antarctica). I have a chance to pick any route home from Christchurch, New Zealand to LAX so long as its still heading to LAX somewhat.

Its always been on the bucket list to travel to a south pacific island, Fiji, Tahiti, Tonga, Solomon, Vanuatu, Christmas islands, anywhere. I also have no real idea about fishing these places other than what I have read online. I've spent years working on a charter and I could really care less about offshore trolling for billfish/tuna, I want to cast, especially popper fishing. I also don't really care what I catch, a GT would be nice, but I will take anything that will explode topwater. I would plan on staying about 3-4 days or so. Fishing from shore would be a major plus but I will also pay for a boat/guide at least one day. I also do not need anything fancy, not looking for $100 dinners and luxury. I can handle a half warm beer and a shack to crash in.

So, anyone have any recommendation on a place to stop by in the December time frame? I can take some gear with me too and will be by myself for the trip.

A bigger airport that flies to LAX on the way out would be a help, but I can hop too if needed.

Thanks in advance

Hi Krabill,

I fished in Palau some years ago and had a nice trip.  We charted a sailboat for week and then got a fishing, swimming and snorkeling charter.  Try to spend a few nights in the Rock Islands.  It could take a long while to fully explore the area.

The area past the German channel was good although many big sharks in the area.  Caught trevally, yellowfin, grouper and some rainbow runners.

The town of Koror was a pleasant mix of Palauan, Japanese and American folks.  You can buy fresh tapioka there. 

Overall, I think it is a nice place to visit with extraodinary tropical beauty and kind locals. Good fishing too. 

Sincerely,

Kurt Koncelik

Bay Shore, NY

#6 Mark Harris

Mark Harris
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Kil, for Vanuatu check out David Noble's operation: http://www.oceanbluefishing.com/ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users