Dogtooth/GT Jigging and Popping in Red Sea in Saudi Arabia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Does anyone have experiences to fish dogtooth tuna or GT in Red Sea in Saudi Arabia ?

Fishermen in Egypt told me that  GT popping in Red Sea in Egypt is very good.

Now a fisherman from Saudi Arabia told me there are excellent dogtooth jigging and decent GT popping in Saudi Arabia. 

If fishing is as good as I hear, I plan to visit Saudi Arabia for dogtooth jigging and GT popping. 

#2 Kurt Koncelik

Kurt Koncelik
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hello Kilsong,

Saudi Arabia sounds interesting but the visa restrictions are very tight.  You had the right idea about going to Oman.

I just returned from my second trip to Andaman and had good results.  I fished with a young man who grew up in Oman.  His father was an oil co. worker at Shell.  He showed me some amazing photos, like yours.

Hope to keep in touch with you .

Sincerely,

Kurt Koncelik

#3 Mark Harris

Mark Harris
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

I have been to Saudi several times on business Kil. Unfortunately there are no tourist visas available for Saudi Arabia, so a fishing trip is extremely difficult. You can read the full scoop on Saudi visas here: http://en.wikivoyage...i_Arabia#Get_in

Red Sea popping and jigging is OK but not of the standard you will find in Oman, Yemen and parts of East Africa.

This will give you an idea of Red Sea fishing: https://www.facebook...ea.fish?fref=ts .

Edited by Mark Harris, 12 April 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

When a fisherman living in Saudi Arabia told me it is not common to hook up about 20 dogtooth tuna upto 70 - 80 kg on jigs on a single day trip, I got to
listen. Fishermen have a right to exaggerate, but it looks real when I saw video and pictures.
I am more interested in dogtooth jigging than GT popping on this trip. They say they have decent GT popping, but the sizes are not big.

dogtoothSoudiArabia_zps29c38c06.jpg

#5 Inspiro

Inspiro
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Dear Kil

I can give you some info about Egypt, dogtooth is very popular to catch jigging but this is mostly in southern Egypt(South of Marsa Alam), it is more rare when you go north.

regular size is about 10-15 kg, 20-25 is a nice catch, bigger is more difficult to get

But red sea is marvelous, you can catch so many species(very comparable to Australia), Coral trout, grouper, Giant Barracuda(20kg is not difficult), King mackerel, YFT, Bohar snapper, GTsm sailfish

Usual size for GTs is 10-15 kg, a 25 kg is very good, larger is relatively rare

Boats are excellent, comfy(live abroad)

If you wanna focus on jigging & popping, you don't have many options(as most boat captains are used to troll/bottom fish)

You can contact 

http://nilefishing.com/5.html

they are leaders in jigging & poping, and have a very skillful captain in southern Egypt, they also arrange trips for catching huge nile perches in Lake Nasser

Regarding teh pic you posted, Abdullah is a friend of a friend of mine, and I believe this is his personal best and it is not the common size

Inspiro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users