9 replies to this topic

#1 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hi,
this may sound like a bit of a dumb problem to have - never had
this before with any other spin reel (including Shimano and Okuma)

- Alan H, you have had a good look internally at both the Latest Catalina & the Latest Saltiga - so you might be able to shed some light on this problem???? Help?

I have a brand new Catalina 5000 (thought I would give Daiwa's good gear a go - the technology sounds really advanced.... and Alan gave the Catalina a pretty darn good review!

- I took it out once for a good fish (Deep water Jig/30lb +), and had it upto around max drag at times (say 14kg),

However, I now find that I can't take the handle off - ie. it seems to be locked
on hard?  (right hand side) and I don't want to force the handle (by
holding the rotor in place) too hard and trying to unscrew it... - incase I break/start stripping
the gearing..  and I would be HUGELY grumpy if I did that...

The new Catalina is one where the handle "screws" ONTO the steam/main gear - ie.
it is not part of the stem that goes through the reel..

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when I got the reel, I had to
change the handle (from left to right), and didn't change the little
rubber washer (that was on the blank/plug side) across to the handle
side- at the time - presumably this was just a seal...but who knows?

Are there any tricks to getting these Daiwa Handles off when stuck hard? 
Never had this ever on any other reel?  and I don't want to break this
expensive piece of kit......any help very much appreciated!!

thanks! shocked.gif

#2 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

The black seal should be left alone when changing the winding side since there is an identical one on the opposite side. The gear and its stem and the handle are the exact same parts used in the Saltiga (except the knob and cosmetics of the handle shroud), so nothing here is particular to the Catalina. It happened to me once on the Saltiga 6500H and once on the 5000, and in both cases I just held the rotor and forced the handle off. I can't tell you to take such a risk though and there isn't a way to do it without putting undue stress on the gearing. There is a trick that involves removing the pinion then using the backup dog and the ratchet on the main gear as an anchor to force the handle off, but it requires the complete disassembly of the reel and removing the side cover with the handle still attached needs special tools and skill since the backup anti-reverse dog will keep the drive gear from being pulled out. Just send it back to Daiwa and let them deal with the problem.

Best

#3 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for that Alan, have tried again today - yep stuck hard, I am going to try and borrow a friends Saltiga 5000 and use that handle on the left hand-side (other side to the stuck handle) and use that to give me leverage against the drive gear to hopefully unscrew the problem handle....but one question, do you have any idea as to whether the handle thread on the newer Saltiga 5000 has the same handle thread on the Catalina 5000 ? 

#4 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:01 AM

Yes, it's the exact same part. Be careful because you could destroy the threads on the other side (or your friend's handle) if the original stuck handle wouldn't budge. Good luck.

#5 CaptLeoNYC

CaptLeoNYC
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

try a shot of wd40 or liquid wrench down the other side of the handle and allow it to soak into the handle threads for an hour or so. Then give it hell and when it comes loose clean that crap out of the reel.

Edited by CaptLeoNYC, 07 April 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#6 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

try a shot of wd40 or liquid wrench down the other side of the handle and allow it to soak into the handle threads for an hour or so. Then give it hell and when it comes loose clean that crap out of the reel.

The gear shaft is solid male, not a hollow female as in most reels.

#7 CaptLeoNYC

CaptLeoNYC
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

The gear shaft is solid male, not a hollow female as in most reels.

Ahh that does stink now doesn't it lol ? I never really use or service Diawa products and shouldn't have assumed it was a hollow shaft design. A simple fix for him on other reels may have gotten tricky. " Use The Force Luke " ! ;)

#8 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

Yeah, thanks for the try captain leo, might see if i can use Inox MX3 spray (with the plastic spray tube fitted) to try and get in behind the the handle "shield" at the base of the handle, and try and get it close to the handle thread....this might help loosen things..

#9 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Alan H & Capt Leo for your valuable input, 

just to close this off - effectively as it was a new reel, somehow while fishing, the reel handle had tightened itself up on some larger fish (high drag setting). 

The Daiwa service people in the end told me to just put smooth pressure of the handle (Backwards/lefty loosie) against the rotor - and it wouldn't break anything (eg. Gearing) - and it worked, Great!  I would say with not a lot of Daiwa Spin Reel Experience, I would now say - ALWAYS lubricate the thread of the handle shaft & the Reel Handle Thread itself (of ANY Brand new Reel) before tightening them up for a fishing tip

....I will probably start doing this on all my new reels from now onwards....a bit of a lesson here...

thanks

#10 Mark Harris

Mark Harris
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

All is well that ends well Milkman... please it worked out for you. A similar thing happened with my (old) Saltiga Dogfight 6500 but I got it off OK.

I did also once strip the thread on 2008 Stella 5000 handle :( .

The lesson is to always keep threads (male and female) well lubricated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users