Bit the Bullet, Bought the Stella

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 multifuel

multifuel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Well, I got a good deal and pulled the trigger after alot of debating. I was actually waiting for Alan to see what he had to say about the new Cabo Pts reels he is under review on, but have a trip going out Tuesday and really wanted to try my new OTI fathom blade. Figured what the heck, after all the rave reviews I figure the longevity of this reel should justify the purchase price amortized over the next 10 years.

Well, a new 20000SW w/ 60lb hollow braid is now on that very pole ready to get used and hopefully (fish)abused in the very near future!

I kind of talked myself into the Torque spinner last week but caught a break on this today and that's all she wrote!!! thanks to all for the insights and Mr. Hawk, my reel hero for his contribution to my decision making processes ( or lack thereof according to the wife device!)

Thanks all! BTW- this is a big reel!

Attached Files

Edited by multifuel, 16 March 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#2 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

Good choice you will love the reel .

Epoxy Huffing

#3 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Very nice Multifuel!

#4 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Nice.!!! where did you get the good deal at. I'm looking for one as well. Don't know if I should wait for the new 2013 model or pull the trigger now.  How good a deal did you get if you don't mind sharing.?? Regards

#5 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Great choice on the Stella but 60#?????seems a little light for such a powerful reel.Might be a tad light if you intend to use it in NC

#6 multifuel

multifuel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

I bought it a Dania nautical flea market down in Ft Lauderdale from a rod builder. He had it spooled up already w/ white hollow core and a small flouro leader, Said he thinks it was JB, doesn't remember.
He said for FL this is plenty and 80 maybe overkill. I honestly don't know, I am new to jigging and would have preferred 80 based on everything I read however I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth, got it all for a song and was very happy, got it for what a Torque costs.
Had it on his rods to demo them. Had some really nice deals down there last weekend, it was my first time going there.

I used it Tuesday, went out to 300 feet with it. Love the reel and rod combo, felt great and got into the rhythm easy enough and tried several different jigs. didnt catch anything so that.s a bummer. Bite was on Monday and then NADA on Tuesday. Still was nice day out and I hadnt been since before New Years so I am not complaining!

#7 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

And he's most certainly right , 60 lb hollow is more that plenty for what you can encounter in the GOM . Most of the times 80lb if its to much structure 

Edited by Anthony, 22 March 2013 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users