Mortality of GT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

I read that No Boundaries Lodge in Southern Oman tagged about 200 big GT last year, but they didn't recover singe GT yet.

I was very curious that the areas are not big, but no GT was recovered. 

When I discussed this issue with Hungry Jack, he said they are probably dead.   After thinking for a while, I thought that could be possible though I was very reluctant to believe it. 

We assume fish becomes alive when we see them swim sway.  

We release all GT as other GT fishermen do.  When I fished Fiji, we had a big GT over 50 kg and we spent a little longer time to release fish because we took many pictures of the monster GT.  The big  GT barely swam sway.  

Same thing happened to a big AJ we caught on a jig in NC a few years ago. The big AJ was exceptionally big over 50 kg and we spent longer time to take several pictures before releasing. But the big AJ couldn't swim sway. 

The high mortality of GT is the only logical explanation of decline of GT populations of many once famous GT fishing grounds though Catch/release is the general practice in those destinations. 

It it is fact, the only solution not to kill GT is to release big GT while they are on the water like we catch/release giant in P.E.I., Canada.

#2 jerome the belgian

jerome the belgian
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

Hi Kil,

It would interesting to know how old are the 50 KG +, when do you start fishing in Oman?

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

I fish from March 23 to March 29 in Oman.

#4 jerome the belgian

jerome the belgian
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

i will follow you april 12th TO 19th, same place with Noboundaries, please let me some huge GT !

#5 DH10

DH10
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

I would bet they are dead.

I caught this AJ in Panama two weeks ago on a jig and had the same experience.  After a relatively quick fight with the drag cranked down, I took few pics, but the fish just kept rolling over on its back.  I gave it to the local guide who was more than happy to feed the village for while, but I was still bummed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users