Stradic FJ vs Saragosa

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 niguevara

niguevara
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hi guys, this is my first post so it's introduction as well as a question.

I'd like to get a saltwater vertical jigging reel, and out of spinners category I ended up with these two because of my limited budget; Stradic in 8k size and Saragosa in 10k size. The price difference is small enough not to be of an importance to me.

Stradic has better gear ratio (4.8:1 vs 5.2:1) while Saragosa has more inches per turn (41 vs 35), stronger drag (33 vs 29) and larger spool capacity (406 vs 265 yds of 50lb braid). Both have 5+1 bearings and very similar weight (Stradic is half an ounce lighter).
As for features Saragosa is an all aluminum frame and rotor while Stradic has graphite plates and rotor, and 'Gosa is stopperles in design unlike Stradic which employs Super Stopper II.

Now, all this taken in account Saragosa seems like a clear winner here, BUT Stradic has some interesting and possibly important features that Saragosa lacks. It has X-ship, S-concept and Aerowrap II (it's unclear if 10k Gosa has Aerowrap or Aerowave, probably the latter).

So I ask you what would you recommend?
Are the X-ship, S-concept etc. more important than all aluminum body and rotor? Is Stradic's gear ratio that much better for my use regardless of somewhat inferior retrieve rate?

Thank you!

Nikola from Croatia

#2 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hello Nikola

It's normal for the reel with a higher ratio to retrieve more line than a slower reel of roughly the same size. This is not a disadvantage for Stradic.

The advertised max drags are exaggerated. The Stradic 8000 will do a maximum of ~25lb and the Saragosa 10000 ~29lbs, both are much higher than most people can realistically handle.

Shimano plays with words a lot and confuses people; Both reels have metal frames and plastic gearboxes (side plate). Saragosa 10000 and up though have aluminium rotors while all the Stradics have plastic rotors.

The "stoperless" thing means that Stradic has a switch to turn anti-reverse on/off, while the Saragosa has a full time anti-reverse that can't be switched off.

Saragosa 10000 has "Aerowave", which is the locomotive style oscillation, while all Stradics have "Aero Wrap" which is worm gear oscillation.

Between the Stradic 8000 and Saragosa 10000, the Saragosa is the better choice for the metal rotor. The ratio is still fine for jigging and the X Ship isn't a real advantage in this class of reels.

Cheers.

#3 niguevara

niguevara
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I didn't mean IPT as a disadvantage for Stradic itself but for vertical jigging - at least that's what I've been told.

So I guess Stradic will have more torque/power, but is that really felt? I mean, it's only less than half of one spool rotation...

What's the difference between Aerowrap 2 and Aerowave, in practice?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm trying to learn...

Edited by niguevara, 19 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#4 niguevara

niguevara
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

There's this JDM Aceration 8000PG reel that seems to have aerowrap, super ship (?) and power AL hybrid body (??), and also seems to have larger capacity than 8k US Shimano models. For instance, it's written that Aceration 8k can hold 300 yds of 20lb mono and 270 yds of PE5, whereas Stradic 8k FJ holds only 185 yds of 20lb mono and 265 yds of 50lb PowerPro braid. If you take that PE5 means 50 lb that the braid numbers are close (though newer PE5 braids are 60-65 lb test), but the mono difference is huge. Now I don't know if this is true or false, maybe it's real and maybe something just got lost in translation...

So here's the thing, I can have them at these prices, shipping included:

Aceration 8000PG = $180

Stradic 8000FJ = $215

Saragosa 8000F = $240

Saragosa 10000F = $255

I would rule out Saragosa 8k, so it's these three that are in play...

Opinions, suggestions etc. are very welcome!

Edited by niguevara, 19 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#5 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

The practical difference between the two oscillation systems is smoother action and more uniform line lay for the worm gear, but the locomotive type is simpler and more durable in this class of reels. The difference in torque is negligible, but the metal rotor is a big advantage. The Aceration 8000 has the same capacity of the Saragosa 8000.

Good luck!

#6 niguevara

niguevara
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Alan!

#7 palkr

palkr
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi Nikola,

regarding the locomotive versus worm shaft oscillation system used on spinners: I had the exact same question that you did a while ago, so I posted this question here: http://alantani.com/...p?topic=3046.0  (it was before I discovered Alan Hawks reviews, and this site, so I was in the start-up of my spinning education. Well actually, you can see that I became aware of it half way through this thread :-)

Then I started looking at my own reels, some had locomotive line lay, and some had worm shaft. And what I found with my own reels was that the best locomotive style reels had nicer line lay than the worst worm shaft reels. I guess you've checked out Alan's Spinfisher V review; it has locomotive line lay, and it lays the line beautifully. But I guess this could change as the cheap zinc parts of the spinfisher wears with time. But the worm shaft and pawl wears too, so I guess there are no absolutes. As usual ;)

Greetings from Norway!

Paal

Edited by palkr, 20 February 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#8 niguevara

niguevara
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thank you my northern friend! :)

#9 multifuel

multifuel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

HI All, new member here as well. I too have been doing due diligence on a new entry level big boy spinner.

I have been on Alan Tani's site for a number of years and recently found Mr. Hawk's site- I must say it is most informative and I can honestly say I have read every review he has posted on it. I was about to plunk down my money on the new SpinFisher  V until reading his review (actually how I found his site, looking up reviews for that model).

I currently have a lighter weight Cabo jigging rod set up with a Daiwa Exceler 6500T and this is great so far. I recently purchased a OTI Fathom Blade and am looking at going out into the deep water with it, I just need to decide on a reel!

I am looking hard at Tica Talisman or the Saragosa 18000 series reels, as well as Cabo PTs. Alan has a review coming out on it soon, however I do not want to wait that long to fish it, still eager to read about it.  The Sargosa has by far the most reviews and many fans, this is the reel that I most likely will purchase in the near future. The Tica looks interesting and is affordable, Alan rates it quite highly, "maximum value" if I recall correctly. So there we are! I cannot really afford to spend a ton of money right now, I just sold two of my Avet exw reels to go down on smaller trolling gear and picked up the Cabo rod w/ the Exceler so need to not go whole hog at this 5 minutes! The Cabo looks very solid on paper however we know this is often meaningless. I am not looking for a world beater reel for two hundred bucks, however if I can get a few big fish a year and at least two years out of it I would call it a success! So all opinions are welcome, and I would welcome any info on the Cabo's! Thanks again, this is a great site, I look forward to this new experience. 

Edited by multifuel, 20 February 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#10 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yes Multifuel - that new Cabo 80 certainly looks tempting!  I know that the older model Cabo had lots of fans (ie. GMAN liked them) + others that say it didnt last the distance...but this is a new reel, and apparently they have gone out of their way to strengthen it for bigger fish + water resistant drag, sealed clutch area, stronger gearing etc...which all sound really great...I am now turned off the Spinfisher V 6500/7500...with the issues I am hearing about...

#11 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Welcome aboard multifuel and thanks for the very kind words :)

I rate reels based on the quality and performance of the reel itself, I don't factor in the after sales service by the company because that's not a constant and it varies depending on your geographical location. The Talisman is an excellent reel that I score highly, but service and parts could be hard to get, so I usually advise people to stick to brands that have local representation to enjoy service and warranty coverage. If you live where mainstream companies don't exist then it's a different story. I just recommended the Tica to a reader from Libya because they don't have Daiwa, Shimano, Penn, Quantum, or Okuma representation so the advantage of local service didn't exist for any reel in his case.

Tight lines!

#12 multifuel

multifuel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Good Advice Alan- as long as can get parts I can repair my on reels, it is my hobby to keep from sitting in front of the TV at night! What is interesting to me is since I posted this I found that Omoto USA is based in my area, West Palm Beach FL! I just received my Fathom 25N for my near shore jigging set up can't wait to get out there, hopefully next weekend. Back on point though- I may wait till April to see your review on the Cabo as I can do all but big fish jigging, I will start small and fish the 2 rods I have.

I sometimes get a bit impetuous and may wind up just getting the Torque and be done with it! I wasn't home for Valentines day and forgot to get my bestest half ANYTHING so I am on eggshells currently, plus I haven't even caught one fish yet so it hard to imagine spending that kind of dough at this 5 minutes. I have only been online looking and am afraid to walk into a store right now!

I have a friend that works at our local big box marine store and he said I can buy an additional warranty for the Spinfisher V for a total of two years no questions asked warranty for not much money. We'll see- I'm getting ready to take my son and go put hands on different reels!

Edited by multifuel, 23 February 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#13 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

To expand on Alan's expert opinion on the subject I will add that the cheapest reel in the long run is nearly always the one from the established manufacturer.

Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, etc will stand behind their product for many years for parts support and warranty issues. Pretty much no matter how old the reel is if some part is known to be defective they will replace the item for free.

The new startups importing from China simply have no track record of doing this and all it takes is one problem and many of then go under. One batch of bad screws and you have a stripped head or body and a very vexing problem that easily can make the reel non-functional. And suddenly the vendor stops answering the phone...

The moral of the story is that the "off brand" companies are really not for those on a budget, but for those with money to burn if things do not work out as expected which we have seen time and time again over the years.

best regards

Edited by johndtuttle, 23 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users