NC Bluefin JIggig/Popping in 2013

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Fianlly bites become consistent and JIGNPOP arrange bluefin trips to NC on a short notice.
The problem to fish in NC is weather.

We booked the Good Times tomorrow and the Release on Friday out of Hatteras, NC.
I hope we catch some fish on jigs and poppers to post some pictures.

#2 tubbyama

tubbyama
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Killsong,
I need a new setup. Last year I broke a nice one off with diawa 80lb braid when it dug into itself on my penn torque star drag. I'm thinking of the BH 450 5' with stella 20K and JB 80. Would this be the right tool for fishing off the point at OI? Ill be taking our boat there as soon as the weather gods allow it. Good luck down there. Thanks.
Jason

Edited by tubbyama, 13 February 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#3 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Killsong,
I need a new setup. Last year I broke a nice one off with diawa 80lb braid when it dug into itself on my penn torque star drag. I'm thinking of the BH 450 5' with stella 20K and JB 80. Would this be the right tool for fishing off the point at OI? Ill be taking our boat there as soon as the weather gods allow it. Good luck down there. Thanks.
Jason

You will have a bonafide tuna slaying setup there..good choice

#4 tubbyama

tubbyama
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

You will have a bonafide tuna slaying setup there..good choice

My only concern would be line capacity with the JB80. Those BFT seem to dive pretty deep out there. Has anyone been spooled with the stella in NC yet?

#5 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

My only concern would be line capacity with the JB80. Those BFT seem to dive pretty deep out there. Has anyone been spooled with the stella in NC yet?

This one didnt come close to spooling me, but to be safe you can get an oversize aftermarket spool

Attached Files

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

See what happened when I showed up in NC. It was not just our boat. The whole fleet didn't catch any tuna.
I got nice 36 lb snowy grouper and 16 lb blueline tile instead.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Nice job on the snowy Kil .
Epoxy Huffing

#8 tubbyama

tubbyama
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

This one didnt come close to spooling me, but to be safe you can get an oversize aftermarket spool

Works for me

#9 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Works for me

Just remember every fish is different as is every angler. Do people get spooled??? Im sure it happens,but it also happens on 50s 80s etc etc. With these fish you need to turn them as soon as possible and keep their head up,that takes a lot of pressure so when you go make sure you and your gear are in top shape and ready. Theres nothing better than a big tuna hitting a jig or popper.

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

NO tuna today.
We heard tuna were way north of Oregon Inlet/Hatteras. I don't think any recreational boat landed any tuna.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

After fishing two days without seeing any tuna, I start to worry that tuna don't settle down and move every day. It means you have to be at the right place at the right time.
It happened last year. Some lucky guys had great trips, but many got skunked.
I can not fish NC until early March as I have two overseas trips. I hope human banana's absence makes other fishermen happy. :)

Here are some actions with non-tuna.

Tomo fighting AJ with 350g Black Hole Cape Cod Special. He was delighted to catch AJ on jigs as this was his first ever AJ jigging.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mike and Bert. I fished with them for the first time. But they love fishing as much I do. I am looking forward to fishing with them soon again.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 tubbyama

tubbyama
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Nice group. My buddy nailed a 400lb bft on the green stick yesterday. They found them north around the 800 line.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Nice group. My buddy nailed a 400lb bft on the green stick yesterday. They found them north around the 800 line.

We heard it, but it was about 60 miles from us.

#14 tubbyama

tubbyama
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Sounds like there have been days where they get covered up in pods followed by a few days of nada. They call it fishing.

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Nowadays, catching one Bluefin becomes a big news.
It is not what it used to be 4 - 5 years ago when you expected to fight multiple Bluefin on a single trip.
When tuna travel for distance overnight as they do now, fishing becomes on and off.

#16 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

See what happens when I don't fish in NC. They are biting !! I heard most tuna were commercial sizes over 73".
Tuna moved up to north and it is closer to sail out of Oregon Inlet.

#17 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

See what happens when I don't fish in NC. They are biting !! I heard most tuna were commercial sizes over 73".
Tuna moved up to north and it is closer to sail out of Oregon Inlet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users