• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Time is flying.
The long waited GT trip in late March, 2013 is finally around the corner.

I don't expect to catch lots of GT and I'll be happy if I catch a couple of GT in 50 kg range on this trip. :)
I'll bring 8' Black Hole Cape Cod Special Graphite and Nano popping rods. They are proven rods for 200 - 300 lb bluefin and I don't see any problem to land 50 - 60 kg GT with them.
Here are pictures of landing 100 plus lb GT with Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80G popping rod.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Custom poppers by Ryan to be tested for monster GT in Southern Oman

Posted Image

#3 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Kil I have some newer stuff for you to test out . Any special color pattern interest you let me know and I'll paint them up for you .
Epoxy Huffing

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi Ryan,
I like the lure you made for me for Fiji GT trip. It worked great for GT.
My choice of color is Red/Black.
I have a GT trip in 10 days before Southern Oman Trip.
Thanks.

Kil

#5 trawler

trawler
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

I have a trip there towards the end of April. I'm busy building myself a Black Hole Cape Cod Special 76G popping rod for the trip. Cannot wait!!

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I have a trip there towards the end of April. I'm busy building myself a Black Hole Cape Cod Special 76G popping rod for the trip. Cannot wait!!

Due to tougher airline regulations of check-in luggage, I am thinking about bring Black Hole Cape Cod Special 76G for upcoming two GT trips.

#7 trawler

trawler
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Great. Let us know how it goes!! When a friend of mine, who's been down to S Oman twice before, first felt the blank he reckoned it would be too soft and not strong enough (He's a Racepoint and Carpenter junkie!) When I did a mockup a few days back with the eyes taped on he wouldn't admit it but I could see he was surprised at the weight and strength of the rod. IMO the rod has plenty backbone and should handle the GT's quite comfortably!!

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80G is stiffer and stronger than Black Hole 76G. I would rate BH 76G upto PE8 and BH 80G upto PE10.
We landed bluefin tuna in 200 lb range with BH 76G, but I prefer to use BH 80G for 200 plus lb bluefin.
But I think both rods can handle big GT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users