JM PE 7 or 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BIGWAVEDAVE

BIGWAVEDAVE
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

I've been wondering about this for a while.
I've got a Black Hole Cape Cod Special 450g acid wrapped .My question is if I buy a JM pe 7 or 8, it seems to me that the line coming off the spool without much line out will not touch the first guide because the spool in pretty high off the rod.
The rod is very stout and the first guide is very close to the reel.I don't think this will cause any trouble but I'd like some feedback.The cost of a pe8 over a pe7 is nominal as well the weight so I'm leaning on getting the pe 8 for the extra line capacity.
What do you all think? Dave

#2 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

hey Dave, if I understood you right you will be better off with the tallest reel (line touching as far away from the grip as possible) the BH rods are FULLY parabolic and if you use a reel which isn't tall enough the line might scratch up the eva grip... or cork (on the BH) now this would mean anything fishwise but the grip could eventually look nasty with all the cuts. Now if you fish the rod within it's spec drag wise the line cutting shouldn't occur... but that is easier said than done since the BH rods can handle SO much more drag than it is rated for. The pe8 is a bit taller than the pe7 but not much, the spool is also wider.

Best, Thor
Norway.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

JM PE7 and PE8 have exact same height. The only difference is PE7's spool is narrower than PE8's. PE450g rod is pretty stiff rod even it is parabolic.
With PE7/PE8's height, the line doesn't touch the grip though they can touch your hand.

As most jigging rods are thin, it is common line touches even foregrip when you fight big fish with such thin rod whether it is parabolic or fast action rod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users