New to jigging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DH10

DH10
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I have tried jigging in Panama and Mexico a few times, and really enjoyed it.

I usually fish with my wife, and am looking for a good setup for my her. She is a hard core angler, but is petite and we were jigging with longer rods and high speed reels that she found to be too much work to keep at it. I am looking at buying her a 2 piece 5'2 Black Hole rod, and was wondering what weight rod to buy? I can't imagine she will be using jigs bigger than 250-300 grams, usually 150-200. I am looking at the 150 gram model, will this still work with bigger jigs?

For a reel, what kind of "inches per crank" works best?

We will be fishing primarily for AJ's grouper, snapper and yf tuna.

Any thoughts would be appreciated--Dave

#2 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Dave what is the average weight of the fish you're targeting , depth & structure ? In my opinion if you're not chasing fish over a 100lb the BH 250g is a great option although I think this rod could handle even bigger fish , but since you're using 150g to 200g jigs this rods would be the most suitable for those jigs.
Reel , I love the JM PE4 its would be awesome for this rod , PE might be too tall. Lets see what others have to say.

#3 rodboy

rodboy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

same for me,, was thinking about  black H 250, but am not sure about reel.. maybe a talica but not sure on the size..

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

As Anthony posted, I usually ask what kind of fish and what sizes of fish target with rods first. After that, I ask what weight of jigs they normally use and what depth they fish. For tuna jigging, we normally use 200g - 300g jigs regardless what jigging rods we use. Unless you fish deep or in strong current, most jig fishermen use 150g - 400g jigs. General rule of thumb is you can use jigs upto 120 percent of rod rating comfortably. For example, if your rod is rated to 400g, you can jig comfortably with jigs upto 480g. But it is just rule of thumb. I used jigs 250 - 300g for Black Hole 80g jigging rod in Cancun without much problem. For 150g Black Hole two-piece rods, you can use about 15 lb drag and you can use about 18 - 20 lb drag for 250g Black Hole two-piece rods though the rods can take more drag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users