• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Posted Image

Just received the photo. Sorry about the quality. I'm working on getting better photos. Looks like it's going to be black.

#2 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

Another thread with more updates :)

http://jignpopforum....=4778#entry4778

#3 Capt. Aki

Capt. Aki
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Stella 30000 at the Yokohama fishing show

FISH1310.jpg

FISH1305.jpg

FISH1306.jpg

FISH1308.jpg

#4 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I am sure it's a very nice reel no doubt! And I am sure it will get very good reviews, most likely top on alan hawks list, But I have to say I am a little dissapointed. First of all a new surface treatment... that's cool but it is needed. I have a 8pg and I treat my reels like babies, even taped the reelfoot and still it has tiny chips flaked off the reel foot, that does not happen to the older saltiga. So my guess is that the anodizing is just up to the saltiga level, ie. nothing special, just a needed upgrade. Second and one of the biggest differences between the old and the new a 20%larger main gear... hmm Yeah I guess shimano did experience some gear issues with their previous reel but I strongly feel that those errors come from people who don't know how to handle a spinner. A lot of people who bought the stella aren't "pro anglers" and they just want the best. With that comes the classical winding the handle against the drag cranking without pumping etc. To me a bigger gear is just an insurance to make the reel bulletproof for "dummies" 

A new stepped rotor for better water intrusion protection is always good and the slow oscilation system is good. Other than that and the slight difference in drag material (much needed a change for 100%CF instead of shimanos own material-because even though you can't notice a difference between the two materials it can't compare with real pure CF cloth. they are easily torn and leave residue that may gum up over time) A softer drag curve by the new spring system is good and much needed, the stella drag curve is IMO far to steep.

I have to take daiwa's side on the reel battle. They were very innovative using NASA technology in the rotor (magfluid) made a super light rotor out of plastic composite (?) And from what I hear they hold up very well, just as well as the stella. 

The whole deal seems a little "rushed" from shimanos side. Seems like as soon as the saltiga hit the market they just tried to repair every small "defects" in their previous model and did nothin especially new and innovative.

Again my opinion from an internet fishers view. haha.

#5 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Man, you look at that photo of the open Stella, and it dont look tat different from the insides of a $99 reel!
(of course its not the same...but it dont "look" that much different! :-)

#6 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

yeah that's another factor. I mean you really can't compare the stella saltiga or similar high end reels with cheap ones, the materials used are far superior. Go to a metal shop and ask how much a main gear in similar metal would cost and you will get an idea.... altough mass produced still expensive stuff. Still They have a solid profit on their products no doubt. if you work the web you will find tackle grossists importing large quantities of reels and you have to place minimum orders of 10 reels etc. I have found the saltiga dogfight 7000h for 650usd, that retails 1400usd in a tackle shop, if the grossist can sell it for 650 and still have profit then what did Daiwa sell it for? then again what is the price of one produced dogfight.... 500 usd, 400usd.... big profits out there! the end user suffers tremendous. haha, but that's life. 

#7 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

hafnor  any chance you could tell where you can find the dogfight for 650 usd. I'm searching for a dogfight or stella at a good price. Your thoughts are appreciated.

#8 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

if you work the web you will find tackle grossists importing large quantities of reels and you have to place minimum orders of 10 reels etc. I have found the saltiga dogfight 7000h for 650usd, that retails 1400usd in a tackle shop, if the grossist can sell it for 650 and still have profit then what did Daiwa sell it for?

These are scams. Careful people or you'd be fooled or lead others to fall for those web frauds. 

#9 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

i've heard that alibaba is a reliable source. I sent them mail and I could have paid with paypal. Also spoken to tackle shops here in Norway traveling to malaysia where they took home over 30 stella sw at 350usd per reel... (didn't ship it but still)

#10 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Again, these are scams. Genuine Saltigas ans Stellas aren't distributed like that and no one is sitting on stocks of $1400 Dogfights for $650 a piece per 10.

#11 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Good Call Alan.!!!! Checked the alibaba website, they do sell fishing reels, but nothing that is a Stella or Dogfight. Nothing labeled Shimano or Diawa for that matter. thanks for the heads up. Regards

#12 Jelle

Jelle
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

i've heard that alibaba is a reliable source. I sent them mail and I could have paid with paypal. Also spoken to tackle shops here in Norway traveling to malaysia where they took home over 30 stella sw at 350usd per reel... (didn't ship it but still)

I just got back from malaysia and you can indeed pick up far cheaper shimano reels, but those are the lower to middle class models only. The stellas and twinpowers are imported from Japan and cost pretty much the same as anywhere else. The 5000 SW (JDM) was going for 750Euros.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users