Big Yellowfin Tuna out of Puerto Vallarta

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

I still have chances to catch small bluefin on poppers off NJ, but big bluefin hunt is over and I look for big yellowfin now.
The best places for them now is out of PV and out of Venice, LA.
There are lots of small yft are around Corbetina out of PV, but big boys are close to Tres Maria Islands which requires overnight trips.
The Maximus out of PV has been killing big cow in 200 lb - 300 lb for a month on overnight trips.
Most big tuna were caught in deep and there were little surface action. But it can be changed any day from now on.

7' Black Hole Cow Special popping rods are coming in two weeks. 200 - 300 lb tuna will be a good test for 7' BH Cow Special rod as well as 6' prototype Black Hole Giant rod.
I can't wait to test those rods for big cow out of PV.

#2 Dimitri

Dimitri
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Let us know when. I would like to come and check one out.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

I was told by other fishermen that the Maximus was detained once recently for fishing inside of buffer zone of the Island.
I committed my self to a charter master and I have to honor my commitment even I didn't make a deposit yet.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I plan to bring new Black Hole Cow Special popping rod on the trip starting from Dec 9.
I was going to ship the rod to PV by Fedex, but I decided to check-in the rod in a rod case even if they charges extra for the rod case. I hope I can catch a few cow on the popping rod on the trip.

Here is their recent report

12-02-2012
Hello everyone! Having a great time with our group here. Flat seas and little to no wind. Water temp is dropping a little and that is helping us. Water temp today is 82.5 degrees and we have had another successful trip. The hold is full and most have caught their personal bests again. We had a great night bite last night. Started after dinner with tuna and sails attacking the bait balls in the lights. 4 hours of wide open tuna eating everything in the dark, even the poppers. Once the dust cleared, the hold was plugged and our anglers were done. We\'re spending today looking for the super cows by dragging marauders and as soon as the wind picks up, we hope to put out the yummi on the kite. As I\'m writing this, 2 miles off my bow there\'s a 600lb blue marlin crushing a skipjack school. Looking forward to the rest of today! Capt. Keith

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

The trip is only three days away.
I bought a PVC tube and caps from Home Depot to make a rod case for PV trip.
The length is just over 7' and it weighs about 4.95 lb with two caps.
I am going to put two popping rods in the PVC tube and put two two-piece jigging rods in a carry-on rod case.
I need only two popping rods and two jigging rods on this trip and I don't want to bring my heavy rod case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Best of luck Kil,

Curious to see how popping and jigging techniques work off the Maximus.

Jamie

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Capt Keith picked me up at the PV airport and I am on the Maximus now.
Capt Keith went back to airport to pick up other fishermen from Los Angeles.
We are going to leave in 2 - 3 hours to get early morning bites. Keith said they had one 300 plus lb super cow and a few cow on the last trip. It seems there are still many cows out there. That is great as I can test my rods for cow.
weather is gorgeous and flat calm.

Carry-on rod case in the cabin.
Posted Image

United Airline even upgraded my seat to first class and I didn't expect a nice breakfast on the plane.
Posted Image

The Maximus
Posted Image

We went to a restaurant within walking distance from the boat.
Capt Keith and hie crew
Posted Image

I never seen so many Accurate reels on any boat like on the Maximus
Posted Image

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

I am at Houston Airport waiting for a flight to NJ.

leaving PV
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dec 10

banana ?
Posted Image

The best way to overcome banana curse is to eat. :)
Posted Image

I hooked up the first tuna on the boat on Heru Skipjack popper using Black Hole Cow Special popping rod.
I thought it was small and I decided to fight without using a harness. But I realized it is not a small tuna while fighti ng. I saw the fish in deep color. it was a cow !! But for some reason, she didn't fight hard and I could gain line slowly.
But she pulled the hook within 20' from the boat.
Posted Image

Posted Image

When I checked the lure, 250 lb split ring got opened slightly. It tells how heavy drag I was using.
Posted Image

I had another chance to fight a tuna. This time it was on bait. It was a good chance to fight a cow using 7' rail rod.
Posted Image

Posted Image

first cow on the boat.
Posted Image

Then, cow stared bites here and there. I would say most tuna were over 200 lb and a few tuna were 180 lb - 200 lb.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We just fished half day on the first day.
Stay tuned...

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Capt Keith searched for birds in the afternoon and found them around 2:00 pm.
As soon as we approached near birds, tuna hit whatever thrown. But tuna were moving very fast.

Heru Skipjack was proved again as a hot lure for yellowfin.
Posted Image

Posted Image

After chasing birds for a while, Capt decided to drift again and bites with smaller tuna were steady.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used bait to test Black Hole Two-piece rod. Two-piece rods are designed to carry on on a air plane.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

Dec. 11

We had cool stiff wind from north all night while drifting in deep. It looked cold front passed through and I was concerned bites might be off.
In deed, bites were not as good as yesterday and most tuna caught were smaller in 150 lb - 180 lb range.

Denna got bruise from yesterday's fight.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

popping time !!

We made a second drift without any bite. So Capt Keith decided to look for birds and it didn't take long to find feeding birds.

Posted Image

More fishermen participated in popping this time. As soon as we cast poppers/surface iron, the bites were instant.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

bait fishermen also had instant bites.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We decided to go home while tuna were biting hot. What a finish !
How can you expect more than this for two days fishing.
Mission is accomplished.
Posted Image

I feel very fortunate the trip to enjoy excellent fishing with great guys.
I hope I have another chance to fish with them. I already told them to contact me if they want to fish giant P.E.I. or big bluefin in Cape Cod. Thank Matt for the invite.

Posted Image

#11 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

A W E S O M E!!!!!!! Kil, Looks like a great time.

Our January trip cannot come soon enough. Glad to hear others fish bait as well. By the way did the new batch of Skipjack poppers come in???

Jamie

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Jamie,
Yes, it is unreal. I left NJ on Sunday morning and came back to NJ Wed night after two days fabulous fishing.

Heru Skipjack lures come and go fast. I think many fishermen discovered the magic tough of Skipjack for yellowfin tuna. :)

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

I took United Airline from NJ to PV and from PV to NJ.
The check-in rod case was just over 7" and they even didn't ask any question.
The carry-on rod case was no problem too. It fit in the overhead cabin
I traveled on many different airline flights and the United is always favorable flight as they rarely give any problem to check-in long rod case where ever I fly.

PV airport is very fisherman friendly.
Security checking personnel are very kind and don't ask any question on fishing lines on the reels of carry-on bag.

#14 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hi Kil,

Dont forget I ordered 2 of the 90 and 2 of the 120 in that special color.....

Jamie

#15 McNally Air

McNally Air
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

Hi Kil its Mark (AKA Banana Boy) it was a trip of a lifetime for me. It was a real honor to fish with you and I hope to do it again.

#16 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi Banana boy !
Nice to see you here. The trip was a blast with great guys.
I arranged a charter on the Maximus in Dec 2013.
Let me know if you like to catch bluefin in P.E.I. and Cape Cod next year.
Big bluefin are biting hot off NJ/NY now. My friends came back with three bluefin over 73" on the recent trip. But I have to fly to Cancun tomorrow. I hope they are still biting until I come back from Cancun.

#17 par5intwo

par5intwo
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hi Kil;
Just sitting here eating some of the Tuna that we caught last week,great meeting you and what a great trip. Will be hard to beat next year.

Chris

#18 Stephen3167

Stephen3167
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

If there are any openings on the Maximus this December, I would love to go!!!

Steve

#19 rodboy

rodboy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

wow... what a rush... all i can say is one day...

#20 Valerio94r

Valerio94r
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

After these long 15 days, what can you say about the Penn Spinfisher V? I bought the reel Penn Spinfisher V 10500 coupled to the rod Penn Bluewater Carnage Jigging/ Spinning 80-130lb catch for tuna about 100-120lb ... Waiting for your opinions on this reel   ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users