Popping rod needed for Stella 10000 reel

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JDB

JDB
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Looking for a popping rod to use with my Stella 10000 reel for yellowfin tuna in the 30lb - 50lb range. Will be used fishing off large sportboats here in the west coast of the US.

#2 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

Looking for a popping rod to use with my Stella 10000 reel for yellowfin tuna in the 30lb - 50lb range. Will be used fishing off large sportboats here in the west coast of the US.

The Magic Eye popping rod is now my new favorite after testing it in Panama last week on yellowfins up to about 80#. I feel it could handle fish in the 100-150# .It is incredibly light and was a pleasure to cast all day when paired with a Stella 10000

#3 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Is the magic eye available on the website or is it still on field testing ?

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Black Hole Magic Eyes 804S rods which Scott used in Panama are coming in two weeks though quantity is limited.
The price will be around $300. I think it is a bargain for a quality rod with Fuji SIC K guides.
Remember the rod is rated to 40 lb ( PE4) for upto 50 lb tuna though Scott doesn't agree. :)

#5 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Black Hole Magic Eyes 804S rods which Scott used in Panama are coming in two weeks though quantity is limited.
The price will be around $300. I think it is a bargain for a quality rod with Fuji SIC K guides.
Remember the rod is rated to 40 lb ( PE4) for upto 50 lb tuna though Scott doesn't agree. :)

That rod will be the best $300 you ever spent and your right Kil I feel you could easily land a 100# tuna with it. It will just take more than 4 min.... :rolleyes:

#6 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Dang ,,, i want one.....

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

That rod will be the best $300 you ever spent and your right Kil I feel you could easily land a 100# tuna with it. It will just take more than 4 min.... :rolleyes:

Scott, Shin brought prototype Magic Eye jigging and popping rod to catch big bluefin in Cape Cod three years ago. I thought there was no way he could land a 100 lb - 150 plus bluefin with such a light popping rod.
But the rod didn't break even it was in high sticking position for long. After I observing the fights, I asked Shin many questions about the rod and the company which makes the rod. Eventually I developed Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging and popping rods with them and I became as exclusive distributor of Black Hole in the US.

Here are pictures of Shin fighting bluefin with prototype Magic Eye jigging and popping rods.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

those are some sick bends there , Kil whats your opinion about the low rider fuji guides on popping rods , would they reduce casting distance vs the standard MNSG seen in most of the popping rods ?

Thank you

Edited by Anthony, 11 October 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

those are some sick bends there , Kil whats your opinion about the low rider fuji guides on popping rods , would they reduce casting distance vs the standard MNSG seen in most of the popping rods ?

Thank you

Honesty, I can not give the answer as what I think and the actual fact can be different.

I like K guides for popping. Black Hole suggested Fuji K guides when we developed Black Hole Cape Cod Special popping rods, but I decided to go with MNSG guides because Matsutani san of Patriot Design showed evidence that he had some problem with K guide on their popping rods while fighting big fish.

#10 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

just order one, cant wait to fish it...if it would get here before the 27th would field tested on Tx waters,

#11 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Kil just make sure you dont sell mine...lol

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Kil just make sure you dont sell mine...lol

I called today and I got the bad news. They had only 10 rods in stock and they said they need some for local business. The worse news is it takes three months to have them again.

#13 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

I called today and I got the bad news. They had only 10 rods in stock and they said they need some for local business. The worse news is it takes three months to have them again.

Tell Mr Park Im coming to see him real soon..... B)

#14 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

bumer,,,,,I was so happy when i saw them listed at the website , Kil i've send an email to Jane asking for a refund. Thank you

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

I became a believer of Black Hole rod and became a Black Hole distributor in the US after observing this incredible rod action. This rod is very thin inshore rod lighter than Black Hole Magic Eye 804S which Scott used in Panama. it is no wonder why Scott couldn't break the Magic Eye rod for 50 - 80 lb yellowfin. :)
The tuna landed is 67" (about 170 lb). We released a bigger tuna caught with the rod later.

Seeing is believing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 maguro

maguro
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hi Kil
the rod on the last few pics - is that the Black Jack Light Pop, or Big Pop?
Incredible that this rod can land a Tuna of that size!

#17 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hi Kil
the rod on the last few pics - is that the Black Jack Light Pop, or Big Pop?
Incredible that this rod can land a Tuna of that size!

The rod is Black Jack Light Pop 80.

#18 Crow

Crow
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

The rod is Black Jack Light Pop 80.

Good afternoon Mr. Kilsong,
If this thread is to old and irrelevant, please let me know.
I am searching for a good all around pop rod for medium GT and hopefully some yf tuna. I do live near Boston and should make more of an effort to get on these BFT boats (granted the caliber of fish recently has been completely different from my Gt needs).
How do you compare the Light Pop shown above too the black hole magic eye 804?
They both seem very impressive. I am looking for a lightweight setup.
Thank you in advance for your keen insight.
C

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users