• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Alan

Alan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Hello,
It seems that Shimano is going to place news Stellas on the market, including a new 30000 sw :startle:
Someone has heard about that ?
Best regards from France
Alain

#2 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

Where did you hear this?

I would be really and truly surprised if that happens in 2013. I usually have good intel on upcoming releases and often hear from someone who has a prototype etc. As far as I know a new SW release is still about two years away, but I'll keep my eyes open anyway.

#3 Alan

Alan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

A member of my forum sent a mail to Plat about Stella japan model.
Here is the response:
Dear Sir
I hope you are well.

Thank you very much for the message.

The Japan STELLA SW20000 will be model change next year.

STELLA SW20000 and SW30000 make debut for 2013.

And SALTIGA7000 make debut 2012 or 2013.

Very truly yours.

PLAT.

Best regards
Alain

#4 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

Interesting! If true then this one has flown completely under my radar :lol: It's near midnight Sunday in Japan now. Will make a phone call in the next 12 hours and will post my findings (or the lack of) here. Thanks for the heads up!

#5 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

at the beginning of reading this i though ...mmm could it be a typo STL 30000 ? honestly i dont see a necessity for a larger & heavier version than a 20000 , however if Shimano is manufacturing it is obviously there is a market for it. Whats the weight on that thing ?

#6 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

2 calls to Japan: Talked to a guy who has field tested for Shimano since the 2001 Stella and he's seen nothing. Someone else who works in the repair department said he heard chatter but nothing confirmed. That's a lot of ambiguity. I'll just keep my eyes opened and hopefully I can find something solid as the year progresses :blink:

#7 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

Just heard back from someone else whom I had left a message earlier. It's real. No firm date yet but it's happening.

To retire the brilliant 2008 SW @ just 5 years old the new generation must be really something, and the secrecy is scary! Let's wait and see...

#8 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Just heard back from someone else whom I had left a message earlier. It's real. No firm date yet but it's happening.

To retire the brilliant 2008 SW @ just 5 years old the new generation must be really something, and the secrecy is scary! Let's wait and see...

When I met the engineer at ICAST and brought this subject up he quickly took me aside and asked me how I had heard about it and then said he couldnt discuss it....Now Im really like a kid on Christmas eve

#9 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Having some experience living in Japan and how exporters there tend to look at these things...

It may have something to do with the current exchange rate and the expected duration of the losses Shimano is currently experiencing.

Rather than raise prices on an existing model the usual strategy is to change the item so that there is an appearance of new value for the resulting price increase. Shimano has to be under tremendous pressure as their margins have eroded and probably just want to offer a "new and improved" model to mitigate a price increase. Look at the prices of Daiwa Saltigas for an example.

crystal ball gazing to be sure, but one plausible explanation.

#10 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Good post John. It wasn't a secret that the next generation was in the works but up till June everything I'd heard pointed towards a 2014-15 release. I focused on China during the summer reviewing new reels and getting to the bottom of that whole rebranded reels business, and the next thing I know the SW Stella has become a 2013 thing! Your theory makes much sense. Release it sooner and charge a higher price and if they pay $1399 for the Saltiga why not a similar amount for the Stella.

My stupid reviews are becoming so costly I'll have to give up buying underwear soon :lol:

#11 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

teaser just out for the new stella... you can't see much of it but enough to make you nervous! :)

http://tv.shimano.co...n2013_stellasw/

#12 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

hafnor thats just a SHIMANO BIG TEASE marketing strategy..lol , correct me if I'm wrong but I just only saw which it looks like a stella spool in black & gold ?

Edited by Anthony, 19 December 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#13 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

jupp! but the spool looks darker than the original (like yumeya after market spools) or even darker.... also the drilling on the spool looked different... (or am I seeing what I want to see?) Already tried to take screen pics of the vid. and playing with the shadows etc... can't see anymore unfourtanetly, LOL I have an issue!

#14 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

teaser just out for the new stella... you can't see much of it but enough to make you nervous! :)

http://tv.shimano.co...n2013_stellasw/

Thanks for the heads up! I will download it and post a note on my site to share the excitement :lol:

#15 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Going on sale in Japan in April after the debut in the show. That's not a leaked tip that could be right or wrong, this is from the horse's mouth! It hasn't been decided yet what sizes will be available in April, but by fall the whole line should be out.

Freeze me till April :lol:

#16 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Posted Image

:jig:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users