Jen goes after woman's world record bluefin

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Jen and Scott are going to go up to P.E.I. next week again.
The purpose of the trip is to break woman's bluefin record. The current record is 911 lb caught in Nova Scotia last year.
Jen fought a 900 lb giant on standup in early Sept, but it was not recorded as we couldn't bring the fish on the boat. We are going to bring giant on the boat this time.

I have no doubt Jen can handle 900 plus lb giant on standup after I observed how she fought a giant.
The only matter is whether a record giant is hooked up or not as there are many smaller giant.

New prototype Black Hole Giant standup rod and Avet T-RX reel will be used for the task.

current woman's world record

Posted Image

Jen fighting a giant on standup

Posted Image

#2 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Love the idea and Jenn is the girl for the job. However, make sure Jenns butt..... Ok the aft grip or any part of the rod, does not touch the side of the boat or anyone else touches the rod. Almost every picture I am seeing of anglers out of PEI are showing the rear grip touching the rail. This will disqualify you from the record.

Best of luck

Jamie

#3 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Love the idea and Jenn is the girl for the job. However, make sure Jenns butt..... Ok the aft grip or any part of the rod, does not touch the side of the boat or anyone else touches the rod. Almost every picture I am seeing of anglers out of PEI are showing the rear grip touching the rail. This will disqualify you from the record.

Best of luck

Jamie

Thanks Jamie and any other rules that you know of please post them here. I had that discussion with her while she was fighting that fish and part of the problem is her height I will be in touch with spencer to see if we can build something for her to stand on so element will not be present

#4 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Kil here is a copy of IGFA Rules pays to look over and maybe take a copy with you. IGFA Rules

GOOD LUCK JEN!!!

Benny

Edited by TUNABUFF, 27 September 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Everything should be done under IFGA rules.
When Jen was fighting, Jen used the rail because we know they release giant.
We have a new prototype Black Hole rods and Avet T-RX reel.
We caught about 20 giant with other Black Hole rods which are lighter than the prototype Black Hole standup rod which Jen is going to use. the new Black Hole rod will have short 12 inch butt section.
At least 30 giant were caught using Avet T-RX reels. So we know the reel can do the job done.
As I said, the only issue will be whether we hook up 920 plus lb giant or not. :)

#6 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

Thanks Jamie and any other rules that you know of please post them here. I had that discussion with her while she was fighting that fish and part of the problem is her height I will be in touch with spencer to see if we can build something for her to stand on so element will not be present

Hi Scott,

A couple of issues I know of. First, most reels at PEI use 200 pound Spectra for backing. That will disqualify the catch. The backing of Spectra cannot exceed 130 pound test. The problem with most 130 pound rated Spectra is it breaks above 130 pound test. This will disqualify the catch. Jerry Brown came up with 100 pound spectra for World record applications as it breaks somewhere under 130 pounds. Unfortunately the J.B. 130, like most everyone's 130 spectra, breaks above 130 so you cannot use that. The advantage of this, if there is any advantage which there is not, is you can probably get by with a smaller lighter reel like a 50 wide which will take a ton of 100 pound hollow. I would certainly use hollow for the applications so you can use something like a BHP (Basil's) wind on. The Wind on again, including the Spectra used for the windon (make sure if you use a loop to loop wind on even the spectra used for the wind on meets IGFA rules) This way your connection of Spectra to flouro or mono will not be the weak point. Basil has a fair amount of experience at PEI and of course makes the best windons so I would certainly give him a call. Besides, he is a fellow wrong.... errrr east coaster. Of course you flouro leader, if you use one, must meet this under 130 pound test requirement. The woman with the 50 pound test record (At least that is what I saw)...... Well, I am just not sure that will be allowed in today's PEI environment especially with the 1 hour requirement. I assume Jenn is going for an all tackle record.

Next issue folks run into is they do not retain the line used, take pictures of the hook or certain other required submitted items needed to verify the gear used to qualify the catch is available and or provided to IGFA. Make sure you read up on the requirements and even contact the IGFA to see what the pitfalls might be. Maybe someone, considering you are an east coaster, will give you some of the issues regularly run into that have disqualified previous potential records of all sorts.

Make sure you find out in advance where a IGFA approved scale is available. The scale will need calibration records which meet IGFA rules. Make sure the calibration is up to date in advance. Perhaps your skipper already knows where this stuff is available but may not know if the scale is up to date.

Okay, that is my take.

For me I would forget about a record, hire a shirpa to carry my 440 volt electric reel attached to a telephone pole, place the butt end of the rod in the boat rod holder and push the button when the fish hits. During the time the electric reel is winding in the line I would be sipping on a Scotch/rocks. At the point the fish is at the boat I would simply point from the recliner, padded deck chair while playing the Wii bass catching game and let the crew handle the rest. I would then have a bit more Scotch/rocks until the fish is safely released. Heck, even jumping over the side to take a picture with the monster fish would be too much work. Never let it be said I am not a sportsman.

Very best of luck.

Jamie

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

As far as I know, the minimum line requirement for giant in P.E.I. is 130 lb.

#8 jaxy

jaxy
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

Igfa rules max line ,Tuna, bluefin / Thunnus thynnus 60 kg (130 lb).But no way in 1st pct that that leader is only 50lb its more like 3mm

#9 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

Igfa rules max line ,Tuna, bluefin / Thunnus thynnus 60 kg (130 lb).But no way in 1st pct that that leader is only 50lb its more like 3mm

I thought the same thing, that green leader there is a monster

#10 Dansar

Dansar
  • Moderators
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I thought the same thing, that green leader there is a monster

The leader material can be any pound test but the length cannot be more than 30 feet from attachment to end of hook. Also keep in mind that mono stretches so be safe and make it 29ft. IGFA also has a new World Record Class for length. You may want to contact them and tell them what you are intending to do, I am sure they would be happy to assist.

http://igfa.org/Abou...ADQUARTERS.aspx

Good Luck

#11 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Good Luck Jenn and Scott.

#12 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

hi fellas and thanks for all the input right now I am in Panama testing the new Magic eye rod for Kil and Black hole and all I can say is WE HAVE A WINNER I will post a report and pics/video later but a quick update on the PEI situation. The powers that be in Canada have basically made it a free for all and we need to be there on the boat about 430am on Wed. I am in the process of changing my flight to be back in time to drive but there is a possibility that Jen will not be able to get out of work early enough on Tues so that means I will be the angler I will keep you in the loop.
PS dont worry about this rod Kil I dont think that I could break it if I wanted too.... The guys at NS did a great job

#13 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Jeeeez Scott,

Did you and Jen go Bonnie and Clyde on us. You guys are doing some traveling here in the name of fishing. Who do you think you are .... Kil?????

Lol

Jamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users