ETA Alan Hawk Stradic FJ review?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 roryodonnell

roryodonnell
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hi there all, does anyone know the ETA Alan Hawk Stradic FJ 5000/8000 review?
I'd also like to see a review of the ROVEX CERATEC CT4 6000 and Rovex Varona EB5000

Thanks all
Rory.

#2 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Welcome aboard Rory.

I plan on posting the the Stradic FJ around the beginning of February 2013. I have the 5000 and it's a relatively small reel so I had no chance to test it properly as I've been doing heavy offshore fishing all summer. Please forgive my horrible tardiness :)

Re: Rovex, your requests have been noted and if any of them receive enough demand from readers I'll certainly be doing it.

Tight lines!

#3 Jelle

Jelle
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Jep, also looking forward to the review. I have a 5000 and an 8000. Really loving them. Definitely one of the best reels in that price range imo.

I did drop the 5000 in the water for a couple of seconds. Rinsed it with fresh water afterwards, but after a couple of days it was noticeably rougher. Had to send it to shimano and they replaced 3 bearings. Not as watertight as I'd hoped, but still great reel.

#4 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Will definitely put it on the fast track. Actually I fished it more than a few times and I'm very familiar with it, but I just like to go the extra mile and enter the realm of "abuse" before I post a review.

It's not at all water resistant. You're lucky it was just a matter of three bearings :lol:

#5 Jelle

Jelle
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Cheers Alan.

You can add to your review that abuse by drowning is the way to kill it quickly. :lol:

#6 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi Alan,

Looking forward to the review.

Question: It has come up that the Saragosa and the Stradic FJ may use the same material for their main gear and they are both listed as having the Paladin Durability Enhancement? However, upon visual inspection the Stradic gear appears to be of a different material based merely on their different color (solid blackish) as compared to the Saragosa (bronze/aluminum-ish). Would you know for certain that they are the same alloy?

best regards, John

Edited by johndtuttle, 17 September 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#7 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

You can add to your review that abuse by drowning is the way to kill it quickly. :lol:

I've already advised in one of my reviews against shooting a reel with 22lr bullets, and I will add the drowning thing just in case you weren't the only crazy angler out there :P

Would you know for certain that they are the same alloy?

Both gears are cold forged aluminium alloy called "A7075". Slight variation in colour could be due to the forging or finishing processes, or due to a different source or method of manufacturing of the original billet.

Best :)

#8 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

thx for that sir.

#9 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

dup post

Edited by johndtuttle, 17 September 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#10 AAABEGINNER

AAABEGINNER
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

G'day to you Jig N Pop members,

You want technical info, then this is the site.
Alan Hawk is the bloke.
Unbiased, calls it as it is, cops the flack fair and square, but it dose not faze him.
Being right is not the easiest suit to wear when all all around him are people trying to pull him down, fudge his results or even threaten legal action.
But then, that is usually enough to alert us ordinary recreational fishers to the fact that the manufacturers have got it wrong.
Plus, they do not like being held accountable for their misdemeanors or just being found out. ( Some, not all )
Keep up the great work Alan.
AAABEGINNER
Hope wife dies before me.( not that I do not like her ) Then I will never have to explain why I paid so much for my rods. She would never, never, ever understand.

#11 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Thanks triple A for the kind words. I hope you will always find my writings up to your expectations :)

#12 palkr

palkr
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hi Alan! I noticed on another board that you had postponed the Stradic review to later this year. Whatever makes you happy, but please don't drop it :) I can wait for it, because I know it will be worthwile. It's just that I miss a review on a reel that is somewhere inbetween the top shelf and the average Joe stuff. I'm sure I'm going to learn new stuff from it. Besides, I'm extremely curious about what you will discover, it's very praised by it's users, but we never really know what their preferences and usage is. There is never a doubt about yours :)

BTW, really great work on the Spinfisher review. I enjoyed reading it, as always, very useful information. The thread on SOL was amusing too. It's funny to follow your discussions with the folks that feel they know a lot about mechanics. Like the one where a member compared the rotor with a VW Beetle jack, and why it would be impossible to destroy the threads due to the "Bettle jack effect". What he failed to understand (I believe) is that by the time the rotor is tilting so much that it reaches this effect, the threads on the pinion are already toast.
I also liked your analysis on whether this was actual breakdown of the metal due to the use, or whether it was due to wrong assembly. Really great stuff! :)

Thanks, and don't ever stop ;)

Paal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users