Squid Jigging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bucktail

Bucktail
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

I have a couple of Yo-Zuri squid jigs and I was wondering what is the best way to use them? Should I rig them in tandem on dropper loops with a sinker on the bottom, or should I just fish it by itself?

Also, what is the best action to use? Fast? Slow? Jerky? Smooth?

Thanks,
Bob

Attached Files

#2 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hi Bob, when fishing the canyons for tuna in the night hours you will see squid come to the top being attracted by the boat lights. I then put a single squid jig on a ultra light spinning outfit and twitch, swim, stop, retrieve both fast and slow to see what works best for the squid. Sometimes every cast is a different approach to catch the squid. Then when you put the live squid out there when everyone else has chunk bait hold on! IMO live squid is one of the best baits for the N/E canyons tuna.

Benny

#3 Bucktail

Bucktail
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi Bob, when fishing the canyons for tuna in the night hours you will see squid come to the top being attracted by the boat lights. I then put a single squid jig on a ultra light spinning outfit and twitch, swim, stop, retrieve both fast and slow to see what works best for the squid. Sometimes every cast is a different approach to catch the squid. Then when you put the live squid out there when everyone else has chunk bait hold on! IMO live squid is one of the best baits for the N/E canyons tuna.

Benny

Thank you Benny. Hopefully I will be able put that advice to good use. Do folks usually bring their own live wells or do they normally have one on board?

#4 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thank you Benny. Hopefully I will be able put that advice to good use. Do folks usually bring their own live wells or do they normally have one on board?

No live well needed just a bucket with fresh saltwater every so often. If the squid catching is good I always use a live one, and take the others home. Great for calamari or cut bait for most fish.

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users