Exploratory EIAO off Marquisas Island Trip

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have been thinking about fishing EIAO off Marquises Island in Tahiti and I plan to make an exploratory trip by next June.

I am thinking about fishing in April - June depending on weather, but it could be as early as in early Dec this year.

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I might go earlier than I planned. I really want to go this year because I have several major trips in 2013. I have trip to Dry Tortugas out of Key West during Thanksgivings and I have a trip to Cancun from mid Dec.
I am thinking about making a trip to EIAO around early Dec between the trips.
Based on info I got, I am going to have a great trip once we get to EIAO.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

The dates are set.
I am going to fish from Dec 3 to Dec 9.
I plan to add two days fishing around Marquisas Island. There are lots of GT and dogtooth tuna around Marquisas Island.
If weather cooperates, I am sure I catch big GT and dogtooth tuna there.
I can't wait.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

The trip is set on Dec 2 - 9, 2012.

Capt says there are lots of small yellowfin tuna, but we are gong to concentrate on big GT and dogtooth tuna on this trip. I don't see any problem to catch lots of fish there, but the airfare from NY to Nuka Hiva of Marquisas Island is not cheap and it takes two days.

Here is fishing schedule:

1st day early navigation to Eiao departure around 5 am – arrival before 12 noon – landing and camp installation (shore fishing)
2 boat fishing
3 boat fishing
4 boat fishing
5 Packing and Navigation return to Nuku Hiva.

I am debating whether to add one more day to Eiao trip and to fish one or two day around Marquisas Island.
Capt say GT fishing around Marquisas Island is very good .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

After discussing with Capt, I decided to add one more day. So we have 4 full day boat fishing and one half day shore fishing. Capt says we can catch some nice GT form shore if there is no swell.
I'll bring 10'6" Black Hole surf rod for GT from shore.

1st day early navigation to Eiao departure around 5 am – arrival before 12 noon – landing and camp installation (shore fishing)
2nd day: boat fishing
3rd day: boat fishing
4th da y: boat fishing
5th day: boat fishing
6th day: Packing and Navigation return to Nuku Hiva.
7th day: fishing or sightseeing in Marquisas Island
8th day: leaving Nuku Hiva for the US

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

The long waited EIAO trip finally ended today when we arrived at Huku HIva on a 43 sail boat after fishing 4 days around EIAO Island.

EIAO became well known outside of the world when fishing and hunting episodes in EIAO were broadcast in France three years ago. Our Capt Xavier guided the show crew.

Xavier has guided for fishing, diving, hunting and filming the Island since 1980. 

We originally planned to sleep on a beach in tents, but he suggested an idea to bring a catamaran sail boat for sleeping along with his fishing boat. I agreed with his idea as It is pretty tough to sleep in a tent for several days for 65 years old body though it cost more and it turned out to be a great idea.

fishing boat

eiao3_zps64ee7d45.jpg

sailboat for sleeping

continued......

#7 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

Cant wait for the report  :)

Epoxy Huffing

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Internet access is very limited in Marquises. I am going to post pictures and explain later.

Tahiti

breadfruit tree

Pateete, Tahiti to Nuku Hiva, Marquises

You can not avoid banana here.

We just picked up fruit from trees.

sailboat

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

1st  day

I expected good GT popping opportunities on the trip, but they did not respond to our poppers very well, but we had extraordinary GT jigging on the first day. we could hook up GT on jigs on every drift.  It shows there are lots of GT, but it seems the condition was not right for popping. 

Foods are extaordinary on the trip. Thanks Favienne.

She prepared Ramen and rice everyday for us. :)

It is time to sleep. We could sleep well as it was cool every night and there was no mosquito or insect on the boat.

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

1st  day

I expected good GT popping opportunities on the trip, but they did not respond to our poppers very well, but we had extraordinary GT jigging on the first day. we could hook up GT on jigs on every drift.  It shows there are lots of GT, but it seems the condition was not right for popping. 

Foods are extaordinary on the trip. Thanks Favienne.

She prepared Ramen and rice everyday for us. :)

It is time to sleep. We could sleep well as it was cool every night and there was no mosquito or insect on the boat.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

2nd Day

I expected hot weather in EIAO like in Fiji, but surprisingly it was cool at night and it was not hot at all daytime. 
After good sleep on the boat, we were ready for fishing. 

After popping for a couple of hours without much action, we switched to jigging. 

I don't know how many different species I caught with the same flat hammered diamond jigs on this trip. 30 flat hammered diamond jigs were gone by 3 day. It tells how effective the jigs were on this trip from bottomfish to GT or tuna.

I started to use light Black Hole  Magic Eye jigging rod rated to PE4 along with JM PE3 filled with 40 lb line.

action after action

Morning session is over and it  is time to head for the sailboat for lunch and rest. Fishing ground is only 5 - 15 minutes away from the sailboat.

While we we fishing in the morning, Francois went hunting and caught a sheep with an arrow.  We are going to eat sheep tomorrow.:)

Weather was cool and everybody overslept . We left for fishing around 4:00 pm and started jigging in shallow water.
Surprisingly GT became scarce where we had great GT jigging yesterday.  But We caught varieties of fishes on jigs.

We decided to move a little deeper water for dogtooth or grouper. Then we saw birds were working not far from us.  While I cranked up my flat hammered diamond jig, my jig was smashed, but it missed. I knew it was tuna. As soon as I turned the handle, another one took my jig. Fish On !!  The boat became mad house. As soon as jigs were dropped, tuna attacked jigs. To make things interesting, there were lots fo sharks under our boat and waited for tired tuna. 
It was a mad house. we were busy jigging, fighting and re-rigging until it became dark. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures because everyone was  busy during hot tuna bites. :)

Nothing is like to have a hot shower and eat delicious food after hot bites. :)

breadfruit

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

3rd Day

Xavier said he would try to South this time. 

We tried popping first, but GT did not respond to poppers.

I used 80g BH Cape Cod Special two-piece rod today.

I never ate so many banana on a fishing trip like I did on this trip. :)

lunch time

After resting a few hours we resumed fishing. 
We decided to deeper water for tuna or dogtooth tuna, but shark were everywhere.
I hooked up a tuna and we saw the tuna jumped out of water with my jig in the mouth chased by shark.

We expected tuna showed up late in the afternoon as like yesterday, but they didn't. 

Favienne prepared sheep caught by Francois yesterday.  It was very delicious.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

4th Day

Today is the final day of fishing.

We finally caught a dogtooth though it hit trolled lure. 

Even I got a big stingray on a jig.

we headed deeper water in the afternoon for tuna. (it is only one mile drive.)
As I didn't have any flat hammered diamond jigs anymore, I used lighter Tady A2 jig and I had 8 tuna hookups.
But I landed only two and lost 5 to shark. 

#14 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

final dinner in EIAO

I usually don't care about food as long as fishing is good, but this trip is an exception.  I didn't expect we were treated with gourmet meals everyday. Foods were great on the recent Excel trip, but foods were better on this trip thanks to Favienne. She even accommodated individual request. 

All dishes were cleaned completely.

And dessert

While we were sleeping, Francois ran the sailboat for Huku Hiva in early morning. 

I gave Francois all my mosquito repellents which I didn't have chance to use.

We are back to Nuku Hiva.

It is time to farewell.

It was a wonderful trip by any standard with great friends and crew in marbelous place.  I don't know when I visit French Polynesia again, but I know I am going to miss it soon. 

#15 maguro

maguro
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

awesome report!

thanks for sharing Kil!

#16 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

teaser version video

I took this video by accident. I thought I took pictures from my Canyon GT15 camera. 
You'll see brief action of 5'7" light Black Hole Magic Eye jigging rod for 50 - 60 lb GT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users