Cultivator shoal: my next destination

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Cultivator Shoal is located on the western side of Georges Bank.
Capt Jimmy the Greek and I were discussing to explore the areas for bluefin not far frm Cultivator Shoal this summer.
I got a great news that the Viking out of Montauk found huge fluke upto 14 lbs and most fluke were over 20 inches on the Cultivator Shoal on the 4 days trip. I believe bigger fluke are there.
Unlike previous years, we found lots of small fluke off Nantucket Island this year.
We are going to explore the areas for bluefin and fluke soon when we have good weather.
It is about 60 - 70 miles off Chatham and I think we can do it on a day trip.
Stay tuned.....

#2 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

While it seems like the Vikings last trip had megaload of big fluke, Cultivator Shoals is inconsistent spot and MANY trip have caught skunk there while looking for fluke, including one which I was on and a couple others that I've heard of.

While I'm sure if the stars align you'll find some big fluke there, not sure if its worth the ride?

How far for Jimmy?

Maybe I'll join you :) though

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Angelo,
We had lots of big fluke off Nantucket Island last year and we only see NJ size fluke this year though they are plentiful. Every year is different. I think Cultivator Shoal is the same.
It seems there are big fluke there now.

I don't go to Cultivator Shoal just for fluke. :) We already planned to explore the areas not far from Cultivator Shoal for bluefin and we might fish Cultivator Shoal if there are many doormat flukes as reported.

#4 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi Kil, I just got back from a trip there. We had one day fluke one day cod. There was lots of short fluke but for 22 guys there was an average of 5 keepers per person. I had 10 keeper from 4 to 9.2lbs and there was around 25 fish from 5 to 14 1/2 lbs.

Codfishing was very good and I caught a 28 lb 38" halibut to top it off.

Edited by fishnh, 02 August 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#5 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Please let me know if you set up a trip.

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Here is Viking's report on the trip.

We Started off on the first day on the cod wreck and found a few cod, but with the given wind and tide conditions it made it tough. From there we made the rest of the ride out to the fluke grounds and had some great action through out the day. We found what we went for which was the quality sized fish. We had lots of 5-7 lb fish, 6 between 7-8 lbs 4 at 9+lbs and 3 fish over 10lbs. And the biggest of the trip weight in at a hefty 14.5lbs, a true slob og Cultivators. We also had alot of shorts and average sized keepers to keep the guys busy. We did have a few small dogs in the mix, but they never got be much of a problem. Over the course of the night we steamed back to the cod grounds for the next day started off with a pick of cod and a few haddock. From there we went looking around for the better half of the morning to find tons of dogs every where we went and horrible wind verses tide conditions. Arund Mid-day we found a few fish to work on in deeper water and as the conditions improved so did the fishing.We ended the trip with 3 long Excellent drifts that made the day with lots of cod and a few shots of nicer 10+ lb fish comming up, and a nice mess of Haddock. On the lst drift Dave Duffy of the New Hampshire got everyone excited by landing a nice Halibut which is the first we have seen in many years. Dave took the edible pool with this halibut that weighed in at 28lbs. he also went home with 10 other flat fish of a different kind up to 9lbs. and a mess of cod. Another honerable metion goes to Henry Isherwood who took the cod pool with a 30lber. And took the fluke pool with a 10.5 lb fluke. he also had 7 fluke over 6lb to go home with and a nice mess of cod and haddock, And last but not least Steve Wilson who landed the giant 14.5lb fluke unfortunatly he was not in the fluke pool, but still had a fish of a life time that will be hard to to. By the end

#7 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

http://www.striperso...nd-codfish-trip

#8 reelsizzler

reelsizzler
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Cultivator Shoal is located on the western side of Georges Bank.
Capt Jimmy the Greek and I were discussing to explore the areas for bluefin not far frm Cultivator Shoal this summer.
I got a great news that the Viking out of Montauk found huge fluke upto 14 lbs and most fluke were over 20 inches on the Cultivator Shoal on the 4 days trip. I believe bigger fluke are there.
Unlike previous years, we found lots of small fluke off Nantucket Island this year.
We are going to explore the areas for bluefin and fluke soon when we have good weather.
It is about 60 - 70 miles off Chatham and I think we can do it on a day trip.
Stay tuned.....

I would be interested in this trip if you go the 3rd or 4th week in August; Let me
know; P.S. how many knots does Captain Jimmy's boat cruise at?

#9 nunoit

nunoit
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

HELLO ALL I WAS AT HAMPTON LADY LAST WEEK VERY NICE SIZE FLUKE STILL HERE ON LONG ISLAND 20 MIN. RIDE CAPT JAMES MAKES MAD STOPS. YESTERDAY THEY HAD A 9+. MY BUDDIES ARE GOING 2DAY. ALSO WENT TO HELEN H FOR 2 DAY CAPT SPECIAL PAST WEEKEND PLENTY OF FLUKE ON NANTUCKET SHOALS MY BIGGEST WAS 8,BUT ONE GUY BAGGED A 9.5 AND A 11.5. RAINED MOST OF THE TIME BUT FISHNG WAS EXCELLENT NON STOP COD ON JIGS AS WELL. GOOD LUCK ALL

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

HELLO ALL I WAS AT HAMPTON LADY LAST WEEK VERY NICE SIZE FLUKE STILL HERE ON LONG ISLAND 20 MIN. RIDE CAPT JAMES MAKES MAD STOPS. YESTERDAY THEY HAD A 9+. MY BUDDIES ARE GOING 2DAY. ALSO WENT TO HELEN H FOR 2 DAY CAPT SPECIAL PAST WEEKEND PLENTY OF FLUKE ON NANTUCKET SHOALS MY BIGGEST WAS 8,BUT ONE GUY BAGGED A 9.5 AND A 11.5. RAINED MOST OF THE TIME BUT FISHNG WAS EXCELLENT NON STOP COD ON JIGS AS WELL. GOOD LUCK ALL

Capt Jim is a good Capt. he is also good tuna fisherman.
Glad you had a good trip on the Helen H. Capt Joe works hard. I had so many memorable cod trips on the Helen H. Fluking off Nantucket Island this year is very strange. There are lots of fluke as usual, but sizes are nor impressive. I've never seen so many small fluke off Nantucket Island like this year.

I might make an exploratory trip to Cultivator Shoal on Wed.

#11 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hi Kil, Where are you sailing from ?

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi Kil, Where are you sailing from ?

We are leaving from Bass River, Cape Cod.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I know I am crazy enough to go to Cultivator Shoal just for fluke.
But we decide to make an exploratory fluke trip to Cultivator Shoal on Wed with Capt Jimmy the Greek. It will take time to find spots because Cultivator Shoal is a big area and we don't have any specific numbers.
If we find doormat fluke as we expect, I am going to make fluke video with different setups and different technique.
Stay tuned...

Posted Image

#14 nunoit

nunoit
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Good luck kil but if you are ever out on long island give hampton lady a shot small slow but he's got some nice spots. I'm off to yankee fleet next week for there fippines trip nice boat nice comfortable bunks with a/c. at 195 good deal

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

We couldn't find monster fluke.
We checked two rips about 13 miles apart. There are lots of fluke, but mostly small ones we saw off Nantucket Island this year.
It spent 17 hours on the water and it was a long trip just for fluke.
Of course, Capt Jimmy and myself were very disappointed we couldn't find big fluke there, but we were happy we finally made this trip which we are planning from last year.
You never know when you make an exploratory trip to places where very few fishermen ever fished.
I made Socorro Island trip off Mexico this year. We didn't catch cow on the trip, but I was extremely pleased just because I went there.

We had another objective on Cultivator trip. Jimmy and I discussed where bluefin go in hot summer. They usually move in to Cape Cod in big number in the fall when water temperature cools down. We both agree the those tuna should come from east. We didn't locate tuna on the trip. But we encountered huge school of skipjack which chased
squid just east of Regal Sword where water temp went up to 73 degree.

One adventure is finally over and another adventure will start soon. :)

#16 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Kil, on the Viking Cultivator trip I went on this year we caught a lot of nice fluke but we also caught many many shorts.

#17 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Kil, on the Viking Cultivator trip I went on this year we caught a lot of nice fluke but we also caught many many shorts.

David,
I suspect the Viking actually fished Cultivator Shoal after I fished there yesterday.
There are only two rips which have 20 - 30 ft depth and we covered them all.

#18 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

David,
I suspect the Viking actually fished Cultivator Shoal after I fished there yesterday.
There are only two rips which have 20 - 30 ft depth and we covered them all.

Did you fish in any deeper water? We caught in the 20-30 ft spots but most bigger fish were 60' or so.

#19 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Went on this years Viking trip and fishing for fluke was on the slower side but still some nice fish with an 11.3 lber pool winner caught by me. a few fish in the 7 to 8 lb range and some in the 5 to 6 lb size.

#20 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Capt Jimmy the Greek told he saw the Viking south of Nantucket Island. 

Capt Jimmy is doing very well with nice fluke south fo Nantucket Island.

#21 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

Capt Jimmy the Greek told he saw the Viking south of Nantucket Island. 

Capt Jimmy is doing very well with nice fluke south fo Nantucket Island.

We ended up there at the end of the trip for a few hours. We caught some 5 and 6 lbers there. 

#22 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Capt Jimmy the Greek had another great fluke trip south of Nantucket Island. 

I have a grip with Capt Jimmy on Sat and I haven't decided to go fluking in Nantucket Island or to go to seabass jigging around Martha's Vineyard yet.

#23 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Capt Jimmy the Greek had another great fluke trip south of Nantucket Island. 

I have a grip with Capt Jimmy on Sat and I haven't decided to go fluking in Nantucket Island or to go to seabass jigging around Martha's Vineyard yet.

Can't go wrong with either choice :)

#24 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Nantucket trip is cancelled due to weather. 

We were going to way south of Nantucket Island for trophy fluke. Next time.

#25 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Kil I might put together a charter for Cultivator / Nantucket fluke for 2014 on the Viking fleet. I'll keep you informed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users