• Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

#2 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:51 AM

Prices are rumoured to be below $200 for the biggest one. I have a few tests on mind for the gears, anti reveres, and the body's structural integrity. If it proves to be reasonably strong and durable I'd probably buy one of each size from 6500 up.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Alan Hawk,

I field tested a few Pen conventional reels for Penn.
The new reels are much better than old Penn reels. It seems they are determined to make better reels now. I'll check the reel at ICAST Show in Orlando.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Spinfisher at ICAST Show

I had time to see Penn Spinfisher at ICAST Show.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I talked with a guy at Penn booth, he gave me an his honest opinion.
He said it is not like Stella or Saltiga and this Spinfisher reel compete with reel like Saragosa.

I have an impression that the reel is good for 20 - 25 lb drag like Saragora though the listed max drag is much higher.

It is my impression that Penn is trying hard to get back to the track and the Spinfisher looks great for the money. IThough the reel is for surf fishing, it will be a big hit if the reel can handle upto 150 lbs tuna.
They said they have introduced about 80 new reels since 2010.

I am going to test the reel for wahoo and tuna in Bermuda in late July and for big AJ, cubera snapper, rooster fish and yft in Panama in Aug.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Here is a post on the other site by Penn

Gears – main gear is Al/Zn alloy, the pinion is brass. Same materials used in the SSm, Slammer, and Conquer. We believe the current gear material to be more than adequate in terms of strength and durability at these price points, and when compared to the competition. The reality is that to offer a machined brass or stainless main gear would drive the cost through the roof, increasing the retails by roughly $75-$100. Increasing the retail on one of our best selling spinning reels by this margin does not make sense….we need to keep the retail on this reel within reach of our core PENN customers. That being said we have heard the feedback loud and clear on the desire for an upgraded main gear, and we are researching this option for future projects. Just so there is no misunderstanding…the retail on a spinning reel with a machined main gear will be somewhere in the $250-$300 neighborhood.
Gear ratio – 6.2:1 is a high speed retrieve, when combined with a smaller spool like we have on the 3500 size (13.4oz)…30” is close to the industry standard. Check any other reel in this size range and you’ll see what I mean. You may see 31-33” from the competition, but keep in mind they measure IPT (inches per turn) from the outside diameter of the spool, we measure it by the definition of a full spool of line (our 3rd line capacity ring), which is noticeably less than the full diameter of the spool...so to be fair we are not comparing apples to apples. Our definition is much more realistic, nobody can fish a spool that is 100% full (90% is much more realistic), and we refuse to embellish our specifications (IPT, Max Drag, Weight, etc).
Seals – this is a watertight system, not a fully sealed system like the Torque, there is a difference. The Spinfisher V has 6 seals, the Torque has 7. The Spinfisher V has a seal on the handle cap (bearing cover), the Torque does not. The Torque has a seal on the main shaft and under the rotor, the Spinfisher V does not. The Spinfisher V can be dunked, splashed, or submerged without accepting water into the gear box and drag system. If the handle is turned or the drag is engaged (with line going out) underwater then there is the possibility for water to enter the gearbox and drag system…but it will be minimal. If you plan on fishing underwater please check out the Torque spinning reel.
Country of Origin – this reel is made overseas, if it was built in the US it would cost well over $300 retail. We are committed to building product in the US as we have shown through new product introductions over the past couple years, but to remain competitive in this industry overseas manufacturing is a necessity at certain price points. We are commited to building a quality proudct overseas by choosing the correct partners and investing heavily in quality control.
Pricing:
SSV3500/4500 - $139.95
SSV4500LL/5500/6500 - $159.95
SSV6500LL/7500/8500 - $179.95
SSV8500LL/9500/10500 - $199.95
Slammer and Spinfisher (SSm/SSg) are being discontinued….there will be deals out there over the next couple months so if you really like the current models you need to get them while you can. Conquer is staying in the lineup, no change to the pricing.
The Conquer will continue to retail at a higher price point….if you take a close look at the internals you’ll see why. The EAS (Easy Access System) makes the design complex ($$), as does the slow oscillation system. The drag design is also more complex ($$). Take a look inside both reels, or have your local tackle shop do it, and they will explain to you why the Conquer costs more to build than the Spinfisher V. One of the keys to the Spinfisher V’s design was to keep it simple so the everyday angler could maintain/repair there reels as needed.
Bailess (manual) 6500 and longcast 7500 models – will be available in Sept 2013. Kits for the bailess will not be available but if you are determined to modify your reel you will be able to buy parts through the PENN parts department.
This reel has a crosswind block, as do all other currently manufactured PENN spinning reels.
Anti-reverse bearing is stainless steel, ball bearings are stainless as well as shielded.
Line roller is substantially larger than SSg/SSm and Slammer models.....50% larger on average.

#6 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Here is a post on the other site by Penn
he reality is that to offer a machined brass or stainless main gear would drive the cost through the roof, increasing the retails by roughly $75-$100. Increasing the retail on one of our best selling spinning reels by this margin does not make sense

Rubbish. This is the gearing of a reel called Banax SX

Posted Image

Heavy gauge brass that I've never seen failing or worn out, and the entire reel retails for $45. The cost of making the brass drive gear would not be more than $5-$7 at most, particularly that the new Spinfisher is made in China where there are countless part contractors and suppliers. Also the unmarked $80 OEM reel I've just reviewed has stainless steel gears and the factory sells spare drive gears for $9 each.

I love Penn and I know their staff are top notch, but someone must have gotten something wrong. I can't comment on the Spinfisher itself until I've tested one thoroughly, but only wanted to point out the inaccuracy in that statement.

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Tunanorth who has an association with Penn posted there was a Japan-based aftermarket company "Gear Lab" at ICAST, who is doing a few tweaks on Battles and using them for 175-225 pound bluefin tuna.
I should have checked the booth while I was at ICAST Show.

#8 Tunanorth

Tunanorth
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Kil,
"Gear Lab" appears to be mostly concerned with custom-crafted lures [both fresh and saltwater], but they also make custom handles/knobs, along with proprietary drag material. The person in the booth stated that he had only upgraded those components for his tuna fishing [his photos in booth].

Edited by Tunanorth, 17 July 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Kil,
"Gear Lab" appears to be mostly concerned with custom-crafted lures [both fresh and saltwater], but they also make custom handles/knobs, along with proprietary drag material. The person in the booth stated that he had only upgraded those components for his tuna fishing [his photos in booth].

When I talked with Ootsuka san of Studio Ocean Mark about after market parts, he said Shimano and Daiwa are in favor of after market for custom parts of their products as it increase their sales. I think if some companies make better quality/upgrade parts for Penn, it also increase Penn sales.

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Penn Spinfisher SSV9500

I just got a Spinfisher SSV9500 from Penn for testing.
Wow, it is big reel as you see in comparison pictures with Shimano Stella 20000SW ! I should have asked a smaller reel. :)

My job is to test the reel for big fish with heavy drag. I am going to test the reel for big GT and tuna soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

specifications

gear ratio; 4.2:1
mono (lb/yds): 30/360 40/300 50/220
braid (lb/yds): 50/630 65/540 80/490
weight: 38.3 oz (1086 grams)

#11 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Glad you posted this size comparison. I intended to buy a 10500 for my testing, but now I'll just stick to the 9500.

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Alan Hawk,
Spinfisher V9500 is about 8 oz heavier than Stella 20000SW, but I feel it is much heavier.
I might use it for jigging and popping for short period time, but I can not imagine I use it for several hours nonstop.

Here is a comparison picture of Spinfisher V9500/Penn TRQS9/Stella 20000SW

Posted Image

#13 Valerio94r

Valerio94r
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

I ordered this reel, model 10500, and Penn Bluewater Carnage Jigging rod 80-130Lb to fish Jigging and Trolling and if needed use it for spinning, with jigs on Tuna weight 35/60Kg in huge feeding frenzy !
I can not wait to try it :D

#14 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I see you have the latest Spinfisher V 8500 Review up Alan - thx very much yet again!

http://www.alanhawk....eviews/spf.html

Wow - interesting review, that Brass Pinnion Rotor Thread failing like that is a real worry!...not to mention saltwater getting into the gearbox after a bit of spray!!

Edited by Milkman, 09 February 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Penn sent Spinfisher9500S to me for testing. I did on the recent Excel trip and I posted my experience and observation of the reel while fighting tuna with it.
Penn sent an email to send the reel back to Penn as they want to check inside of the reel thoroughly.
And also they are aware of Alan Hawk's recent review of Penn Spinfisher 8500S and they want to investigate some issues which Alan Hawk pointed out. It is very good sign as they want to improve/upgrade the reels seriously.

#16 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

I, along with several others including Kil and Scott, got a great chance to test the 9500S on a bunch of 40 - 120 pound West Coast Yellowfin tuna. Kil set the reel up with 80 Pound Spectra and it performed perfectly. I had about 20+ pounds of drag on the reel when I used it and it was smooth sailing. I am curious to see what Penn has to say about the condition as the reel was on fish for a total of many hours. On the last fish the reel still performed flawlessly. Now, to be honest, so did the Stella's but we are talking about a reel which costs over 4 times as much.

One major and important item Penn did provide on this reel is the stronger crank arm. Though, as Kil noted, the reel is certainly heavier than its much more expensive competition, I do believe the larger diameter and strong feeling crank arm is a fantastic addition for this very powerful reel.

For the money I will be highly recommending this series of reels when they come out in the future assuming they are all built like the one Kil brought. Frankly, I was shocked at how effective this reel is.

Jamie

#17 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

I agree with Jamie and Kil. I was very impressed with the spinfisher and I was truly a skeptic after the last few Penns I wasnt expecting much out of this reel and I couldnt have been more wrong. The cranking power was impressive and the drag was extremely smooth from start to finish.Other than its size I really dont think they need to change a thing. IMO its a much better reel than the TRQ

#18 landlocked

landlocked
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

I agree with Jamie and Kil. I was very impressed with the spinfisher and I was truly a skeptic after the last few Penns I wasnt expecting much out of this reel and I couldnt have been more wrong. The cranking power was impressive and the drag was extremely smooth from start to finish.Other than its size I really dont think they need to change a thing. IMO its a much better reel than the TRQ

What did you find wrong when you tested the TRQ, was it the 9 size?  I had heard that some stems bent last year due to improperly placed spin straps but you don't seem like a spin strap guy :)  I haven't had a fish on my TR9 yet but I like the way it casts and lays line...

#19 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

What did you find wrong when you tested the TRQ, was it the 9 size?  I had heard that some stems bent last year due to improperly placed spin straps but you don't seem like a spin strap guy :)  I haven't had a fish on my TR9 yet but I like the way it casts and lays line...

Thanks for your positive contribution & valued opinion on this topic  :thumbsu:

#20 landlocked

landlocked
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for your positive contribution & valued opinion on this topic  :thumbsu:

I can only wonder how long you will be allowed to sully this forum before you become a pariah here like everywhere else where you are repeatedly banned for your behavior.  My post was a question not an opinion, please keep your snarky comments to yourself, people come here to help each other and learn.

#21 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

I didnt use any straps :D  but I personally didnt like how it was balanced and the bail would not close all the time which caused a problem if I got hit on the way down

#22 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

I can only wonder how long you will be allowed to sully this forum before you become a pariah here like everywhere else where you are repeatedly banned for your behavior.  My post was a question not an opinion, please keep your snarky comments to yourself, people come here to help each other and learn.

Yes , we appreciate your kind comments . Thank you 

Back to the topic  :excl:  

#23 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

I didnt use any straps :D  but I personally didnt like how it was balanced and the bail would not close all the time which caused a problem if I got hit on the way down

Sorry to be off topic but my TRQ's have a little switch on the side to make it manual or auto bail close.  On manual, which I always use with braided line, I never have any problems with this.

#24 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Sorry to be off topic but my TRQ's have a little switch on the side to make it manual or auto bail close.  On manual, which I always use with braided line, I never have any problems with this.

The problem I had was the bail would close only half way. I told kil about it and I believe he informed Penn after it happened to him as well. That particular reel also seemed to have supreme banana qualities and I was banned from ever bringing that reel on a trip again by my faithful fishing buddies, so I cant tell you if the problem with this reel was fixed.

#25 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

That particular reel also seemed to have supreme banana qualities and I was banned from ever bringing that reel on a trip again by my faithful fishing buddies

And here I always thought that fishing was based on knowledge and skill as opposed to being superstitious? ;)

One of my best days fishing ever was in the Panama Canal when we caught 113 peacock bass in four hours.  The charter captain had us all eating bananas during that trip so apparently someone forgot to inform the fish. :o

#26 landlocked

landlocked
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the reply, I haven't jigged with it but didn't seem to be any problem with the bail on mine.  I wouldn't mind a different knob though,  but I don't think they've sold enough reels for any aftermarket companies to make the investment. 

#27 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

And here I always thought that fishing was based on knowledge and skill as opposed to being superstitious? ;)

One of my best days fishing ever was in the Panama Canal when we caught 113 peacock bass in four hours.  The charter captain had us all eating bananas during that trip so apparently someone forgot to inform the fish. :o

What can I say????? I fish with a tough crowd. I do believe there is some merit to it though at least in NC. Ever since Kil started bringing it there the bluefin totally disappear. I think he is even beginning to believe its cursed.....I think I need to write a strongly worded letter to Penn.......LOL

#28 multifuel

multifuel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Well with season coming on we will get more information on this reel. I was about to buy 8500 or 9500 until Alan's review and now am waiting for the upcoming CaboPTs review from Alan. It is shark season here and I am (hopefully ) going out this weekend without my new OTI blade as I haven't decided on the reel! I simply cannot afford to spend much more than 300 dollars 'round about.

I am wondering if Penn's issue was a mistake with metallurgy and is now corrected. ( it's possible!)
Here is a thought- if they were on top of it I feel that if Penn offered a SS gear set version and charged that extra 50 to 100 bucks I would buy it and be done and Alan's review wouldnt have that failure so that makes it a very good reel with the weight being the only detractor. Anyone else? maybe in just the larger sizes??? This coud be an additional revenue stream for them and satisfy all but the most demanding conditions, certainly no super spinner but surely competent I say.

I can't justify buying a 600 to 1300 dollar reel- I just don't get that lucky to work it out enough. To be honest I am not even a great fisherman, I don't always catch fish and learned a long time ago it is not so much the gear! I just like going out and fish is a bonus.
Than again I have never really had to battle anything more than a large sail or an AJ, never got into anything massive so that is also governing my purchase decision. I have 2 Cabo jig rods, one with a Diawa Exceler 6500T and a one w/ a new Penn Fathom 25N I am planning on using in the upcoming days and hopefully will come off center and decide what i am going to put on my new Heavy duty Fathom Blade! We will have plenty of feedback by next fall.

Hell, I may just go to WM and buy the spinfisher w/ the extended warranty and call it done. But the Cabo's sound nice too and I am trying to wait for Alan while he does his diligence and renders his learned opinion. ( It's all your fault Alan!!!)

#29 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hell, I may just go to WM and buy the spinfisher w/ the extended warranty and call it done. But the Cabo's sound nice too and I am trying to wait for Alan while he does his diligence and renders his learned opinion. ( It's all your fault Alan!!!)

Ha ha! Sorry about that. Doing my best to fast track it, and just back from a 12 hours jigging trip with a badly cut finger. Hopefully the review will be up before the 1st of April, but I encourage you and everyone to always seek neutral feedback from other users as well. My reviews are just the opinion of one man who is extremely delusional and clueless :ph34r:    

#30 Milkman

Milkman
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Ouch, sounds Nasty Alan!

#31 multifuel

multifuel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Ha ha! My reviews are just the opinion of one man who is extremely delusional and clueless :ph34r:    

No doubt, we all know! For what it is worth and I am sure I speak for many people across different forums- it is greatly appreciated what you do. I know the time it takes not to mention the money, and your unbiased and real world reviews are truly top notch. Now fishician heal thyself and tell us about the Cabo! ( seriously Alan, thank you for the service you provide).

#32 petardone

petardone
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

i am never tired to say THANKS A LOT MR. ALAN !

#33 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

We landed a few tuna and GT in Mariquisas, French Polynesia with Spinfisher 9500. We fought a big shark estimated at 150 lb with the reel too.

The reel will be sent to Penn for checking inside the reel. 

#34 Valerio94r

Valerio94r
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

After these long 15 days, what can you say about the Penn Spinfisher V? I bought the reel Penn Spinfisher V 10500 coupled to the rod Penn Bluewater Carnage Jigging/ Spinning 80-130lb catch for tuna about 100-120lb ... Waiting for your opinions on this reel   ;)

#35 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

I used Spinfisher 9500 for 50 - 100 lb tuna. I didn't have any issue. The reel is examined by PENN to see what kind of damages were done inside of the reel.
I felt 9500 is too heavy for normal use of popping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users