Shock leaders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Good Day. Please bare with me here. I'm looking to tie 50-80 Lb mono or Florocarbon leader to 30-50-lb braid for a shock leader, to throw 2-5 oz plugs off the beach surf fishing. I've been trying to use a Yucatan knot for this process. The knot works great if you are strong enough to pull the knot togeather. There lies the problem. You need to make at least 15-wraps using braid on the Yucatan knot. Does anyone on here have any ideas on how to pull this knot down tight.?? I've tried using wax and spit and everything in between. You need to use a door knob or something stationary to wrap around to get the knot down tight. I need to be able to tie this while out on the beach surfing, and door knobs are hard to find on the beach LOL. If done corectly the knot seems break proof. Does anyone have a better way of tying a shock leader that will wind up into the reel, but also will cast long distances and flow out thru the guides on the rod. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

Is your Yucatan knot as shown in the video ?

#3 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

No It's not tied like the knot wars version. Please see at this site. http://www.netknots....s/yucatan-knot/

#4 calcal

calcal
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

It seems following three knots are most popular to connect braid into mono/florocarbon.

1. Mid knot
Part 1:
Part 2:

2. FG Knot

3. PR knot

I think these knots will wind up into the reel and not give any problem as long as you are using less than 25lb drag. Some says these knots work at 50lb drag, however, I can't say for sure because I did not use that heavy drag setting with these knots.
Only down side of PR knot is that you need to buy bobbin. $$$ :unsure: -> http://www.jignpop.c...type-pr-bobbin/

Calvin

#5 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thank you for the input. I will check these out. Really appriciate the help. Regards

#6 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

Calvin those are some serious knots. Thanks Again. Regards Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users