Tuna/rooster out of Mazaltan, Mexico

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

I had a chance to talk with a fishermen who lives in Mazaltan.
He is a jigging/popping fishermen and it seems fishing there is pretty good.
He mention about traveling to nothern part of Tres Maria Islands from Mazaltan.
From PV to southern part of Tres Maria Islands is about 100 - 110 miles and the distance from Mazaltan to northern part of Tres Maria islands are almost same ( 110 miles).

We know there are lots of big yellowfin tuna around Tres Marias Island year round.
And he mentioned there are lots of roosterfish around Mazaltan. Some catch them from the surf.

Mazaltan is another destination I'd like to explore for jigging and popping in the fall or next season.

#2 mrbill

mrbill
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've been to Mazatlan about fifteen times. I started to fish there in High School. I had a friend that had a dual citizenship USA/Mexico. His grandmother had a nice place about 20 miles north of Mazatlan. He had a lot of contacts down there and I spend most of the night drinking and bar hopping even though I wasn't of drinking age in the USA. :thumbsu: The surf was outstanding in that area. At the time, I only cared about bill fishing. Now that I think about it, I would see a lot fish in the big waves outside his grandmothers house. Little did I know that most of those fish were roosters.

I which I could take back mother time and return again in that time period. I would have only tossed lures at the roosters instead of spending days on end trolling for Pacific sailfish. I did one day catch a daytime swordfish that was sunning on a trolled mullet. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I know why the Capt was so excited. That just doesn't happen very often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users