Inshore lure testing trip

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

Tsurusaki san of FCL LABO came to Cape Cod last two years to catch big bluefin tuna on jigs and poppers. He came this year too.
While he enjoys testing lures for big tuna, he loves inshore jigging and popping and many of his products are for inshore fishing.

We went south of Martha's Vineyard in search of tuna yesterday, but we had to turn around because of stiff south wind and had an opportunity to enjoy inshore fishing together around Noman's and Martha's Vineyard Island.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Casting lures to rocks off famous Noman's Land. I used to catch big striped bass tossing live bunkers here many years ago.
Posted Image

Posted Image

selection of Tsurusaki San's inshore lures

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We got many nice seabass on jigs at Jimmy's secret honey hole. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sea bass are so thick that I double header for two small hooks of Black Hole Taifun-V 100g jig even I didn't use bait at all.

Posted Image

Jimmy's ever smiling face
Posted Image

7' Black Hole spiral Shot Gun/JM Arrester 630 reel combo are perfect for fluke/seabass jigging

Posted Image

Fishing is fun, but eating your catch at a local restaurant is fun too. :)
whole fluke
Posted Image

deep fried seabass. Taste is very nice, but I am going to ask fried whole sabass with brown sauce next time.
Posted Image

We are going to make an exploratory fluke/striped bass trip to Nantucket Island for more testing of inshore lures.

#2 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

wow ...looks great Kil...You always know how to get the most out of a trip

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

We planned to go to Nantucket Island because they wanted to test lures for fluke, but we decided to fish around Martha's Vineyard Island due to weather. We were glad we did because it was very rough even in protected Martha's Vineyard in the afternoon.

We started to cast poppers around Elizabeth Island. They got small blue fish and striped bass. Choi got a big striper on a small lure given by Tsurusaki san, but it pulled the hook unfortunately.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tsurusaki San of FLC LAbO wanted to see how umbrella rigs works for blue and striped bass and we had 4 bluefish on it at the same time. See the face of Choi. :)

Posted Image

We went to the sea bass ground where we fished on Tuesday. We had fantastic trip with big seabass on Tuesday, but we never expected we could have better seabass jigging this time, but it happened.
Strangely we didn't see many seabass on the spots where we fished last time. Jimmy searched around and found mode lode of big seabass. Jimmy found a virgin territory of big fluke off Nantucket Island last year and he found a virgin territory of seabass now. Jimmy fished seabass all his life and said this was the best.
We only catch this kind of big seabass on offshore trips out of NY, NY, DE, MD and Virginia in deeper water in winter.
Normally jigs tipped with a piece of bait out produce jigs without bait in great margin, but it didn't matter whether you jig with bare hooks or with baited hooks and all worked great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

See how close we fished to the land.
Posted Image

Posted Image

See bass just lover Black Hole Teifun-V jigs.
I started with 100g jig. To see whether big jigs work for seabass, I used 150g and 200g and both worked as good as smaller 50g and 100g. I observed I got bigger seabass on 200g jig.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Choi got even a blackfish on a jig. He was using Black Hole Caiman inshore rod and JM Arrester 630.
Posted Image

Posted Image

It was another fun day of fishing. Seabass sashimi added more fun. :)
Posted Image

#4 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Wow Kil, thats some trip. You guys going back at it tomorrow?? Give me a call if you have anything planned this wknd.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Wow Kil, thats some trip. You guys going back at it tomorrow?? Give me a call if you have anything planned this wknd.

It is not possible to fish with Jimmy weekends as he is booked solidly every weekend.
We have trips on Tues and Wed ( June 19 and June 20)and still have rooms though I doubt it last until tomorrow. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)