• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newjackburton

newjackburton
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

Kaoha nui (big hello in marquisian language) everyone,

This a short report of our last fishing trip on EIAO.
From May 22nd to May 26th, we were only five people on the uninhabited island of EIAO.
Two fishermen:
Michael, the danish viking, who decided to travel 40 hours from his country, to suffer on marquisians fishes.
Myself, the "unlucky one" who lived in the beautiful Marquises Islands and who coordinated Michael's trip.
We had with us kind of "dream team" marquisians warriors: Francis, Gordon and Mika; hunters, survivalists and captain for the fishing trip.
Because of the unpredictable wind of rain, it took us 3 hours of rough boat ride to reach EIAO the mysterious treasure island.
But EIAO quickly made us forget such boat ride : primitive land and nature, dolphins, manta rays, thousands of birds were here to welcome us.
EIAO is a true hardcore destination.
Below are a very few pics that easily resume 4 days of popping with a little bit of jigging.
We both ended exhausted after 4 days, but we ended as sated fishermen.
More pics are available on my blog : http://fishermaninpa...e.blogspot.com/
Note:
While popping, Michael fought one of our "ghost" GT: a nasty 150 cm (at least!) black GT, for 49 minutes. The terrific fight ended with the monster GT escaping quietly (Hooks pulled off at less than 5 meters from the boat). EIAO will remind the loud viking shout....
Michael has loved the experience, he'll be back soon with super power popping rod and more ammunitions...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maybe EIAO should be on your next destinations list.
Woof !!!

#2 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

Beautiful place, very exotic looking. What else do Marquisian warriors catch there other than GT's? Any big game fishing around the islands?

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

Excellent report and pictures. Thanks for posting.

As you know, I have been trying to fish GT in Marquisas Island. I got to fish there soon before it is too late. :)

#4 newjackburton

newjackburton
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Beautiful place, very exotic looking. What else do Marquisian warriors catch there other than GT's? Any big game fishing around the islands?

Nobody fish EIAO because of ciguatera. Almost all the fishes are contaminated; that's why GTs and doggies can grow freely. Only YFT and Wahoo are edible.
On this trip YFT, wahoo and doggies stayed on the windy part of EIAO. That's why we decided to focus more on GTs.
Big game fishing (marlins, sailfishes ) is not popular here; mainly because marquisians don't like the meat of such fish. That's why locals don't want to "waste" their time fishing those fishes.
For sure, there are marlins and sailfishes around EIAO.
There is kind of "blank page" about big game fishing here.
Yesterday afternoon, we saw a marlin chasing inside the bay of NUKU HIVA a few meters from moored sailboats...
Woof !!!

#5 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

That is a shame that they are contaminated but as long as wahoo's and tuna's are around to eat you should be fine. :) Marlin fishing is not for everyone, I was just wandering what other species were around the island.

#6 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hopefully one day I can make it over there and "waste" my time on some of the neglected species. Your location seems it would hold very big marlin. :)

#7 newjackburton

newjackburton
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

"That is a shame that they are contaminated but as long as wahoo's and tuna's are around to eat you should be fine. :) Marlin fishing is not for everyone, I was just wandering what other species were around the island."

Let's turn bad luck into luck; hopefully most of the fishes are contaminated...so EIAO is a sanctuary. It's a paradise for catch & release fishermen.
There is also legislation about EIAO, you need to have legal authorisation to go on the island. That's a very good thing.
If you don't want to eat Tuna, wahoo, Mahi or deep water groupers, you can have lobsters, sea food or, you still can hunt for wild pigs, sheeps and goats.

"I was just wandering what other species were around the island"
You have almost all the typical fishes of Pacific ocean (from soldier fish to parrots to trevallies to milk fish to barracudas, jobfishes....). I also have a lot of fun with light casting or jigging from boats or jigging. The only problem is that you always loose a lot of lures...big ones also like small lures....

Hope to you soon here Notorious .
Woof !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users