Bail-Less Stella 18K

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Has anyone converted their 18K to bail-less? Any pros or cons?

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

Has anyone converted their 18K to bail-less? Any pros or cons?

I tested Zeebaas bail-less reel for jigging and I didn't like it at all.
While jigging, line came off and the reel hit my head three times.

#3 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

I used to use the VS150 (original bailless) when running around on the surf. It was fine for the "forget-about-the-conditions" type fishing, dunking, swimming (only once I tried this) and the reel was great. However when I brought the reel to party boat, or private boat usage, i.e. bait fishing for tog, seabass jigging, the reel failed in that sense.

Shimano designed the bailless kit for hardcore surf guys when the domestic market was just hopping onto this whole jigging and popping thing. They made kits available for the saragosa reels and they had their usage for a certain market. But not really our market.

#4 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks guys for the hands on advice. Kil that is exactly what i was thinking. When popping I thought the line will come free on the down stroke.

#5 ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

I know this is an older thread but I figured I would add my 2 cents.

The bailess kits for shimano reels, for pluggage safety require you to still open the arm of the Line roller. As it can catch the line very easily.

Part of the reason is with the heavy handle and free spinning nature of the saragosa, sustain and stella. On the cast the weight of the handle will spin the rotor and cause the spool to change height. This ups the chance of it catching the roller, which we all know means bye bye plug.

The only reason for the bailess kit for the shimano reels, is to prevent physical damage to the bail due to slips trips and falls when fishing rugged terrain.

Hope that helps

As a side note. After installing a few bailess kits for forum members. In some instances the counterbalance was not correct. And resulted in wobbling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users