In search of ultimate jigs for fluke

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

I don't think any other species are targeted more than fluke (summer flounder) from recreational fishermen from MA to NJ in the US.
Fluke don't fight good. Sometimes you don't know fluke swallow your bait.
But there are many many fishermen who are addicted to fluking.
We used to believe bucktailing for fluke is only good in shallow water.
After introduction of fluke ball (silver ball) in Long Island, we discovered jigs/bucktails work for fluke in deeper water.
Silver ball are still working, but spro bucktails or similar bucktail are taking front stage in recent years. New jigs/bucktails are tested by fluke fishermen every year and every fluke fisherman has his/her own secret weapons.

One of fluke jigs/bucktails which I test this year is Black Hole Taifun-V rubber jigs.
This jig is very popular among fluke fishermen in Korea and some gave very good reviews of this jig after testing in the US.
I tested the jig myself on a party boat in RI last Saturday.
I got lots of hit on it. But I dropped too many.
I think it it because the hooks I used were too small or my hooking timing/technique was wrong.
So I replaced the original small hooks on Taifun 50g with bigger hooks which are used for Taifun 150g jig as you see below. I am going to test both jigs, one with original small hooks and the other with bigger hooks on a party boat out of Port Jefferson, Long Island, NY tomorrow. You can expect to hook up 20 - 30 fluke a day. So I can have lots of opportunity to test the jigs.

Taufun-V 50g rubber jigs with bigger hooks
Posted Image

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Black Hole Taifun-V worked for fluke on the Celtic Quest yesterday.
Posted Image

Did it work better than other lures ? No.
Before the trip, I felt taifun-V might be a little bigger for fluking in shallow water. We fished mostly only 10 - 20 ft water and many could use very light bucktails as it was calm.
I am a believer that lighter, smaller bucktail/jig get more hit from fluke as long as you can hold bottom with them.

I still lost many fluke even I used bigger hooks for Taifun-V jig.
It seems my hook setting timing was off. Lots of big fluke move into around Nantucket Island and Martha's Vineyard Sound in two weeks and I'll continue to test the jigs intensively for big fluke soon.

Here is a brief report of the Celtic Quest fluke trip yesterday.

Condition was great. We had outgoing tide with zero wind.
You could use as light bucktails/jigs as you wanted.
There were lots of fluke landed in the morning though keeper ratio was not great(19.5 inches).

Guys who use very light bucktails like spro got lots of hit though the hookup ratio was not great.

It is interesting to observe that second hook (with teaser and without teaser) one or two feet above bucktail.jig got much more hit than bucktail/jigs themselves.

It was a fun day fluking with many old friends.

Harvey's collection. He simply makes the best custom bucktail teasers.
There is no peer.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Harvey won the pool with 7 lb 10 oz nice fluke.
Posted Image

I used Harvey's sand eel pattern teaser which resulted in two keepers.
Posted Image

Posted Image

We had about 40 keepers for 30 fishermen. Just imagine how many fluke they caught and released to get 40 keepers. We had good action all day long.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are bucktails/jigs they were using.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users