blackhole inshore rods

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

After fishing with Kil and Shin for stripers with the new Blackhole inshore series matched with the JM arrestor reels I decided to outfit the boat with them. I was fishing a small tournament on Sat.so Fri.I decided to get bait for Sat and possibly pre fish for Sat. My right hand man got stuck at work so I had to go solo,after making bait (amazingly I was able to run the boat and throw the net by myself)I decided to try to find some fish. Since no one was really doing anything I decided to try some humps near the deeper water. I didnt drift 50 yds when my bunker was inhaled by my best striper of the season it weighed 45#s on my Cabelas spring scale.I didnt get a pic of her because I was more concerned about getting her back in the water.It was game on for the next 2 hours as I caught a total of 23 stripers,and I took a couple quick pics with my phone. I only used the new combo and I have to say it was flawless. It did take me 25 mins to get the big one in but never was in danger of breaking off as the drag was very smooth throughout the fight. Sat we set out early for the tournament and as usual the fish werent where I left them but we did find them inshore and we ended up with 25 stripers up to 25 #s.Kil I need some more rods as two of my guests insisted on buying two of my three outfits.Enjoy the pics

Edited by bowguide, 13 May 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#2 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

more pics

Edited by bowguide, 13 May 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

Scott,
It looks you are doing tackle breaking test. :)
The rod and reel are good for smaller fish like fluke, sea trout. :)
But,it is so much fun to catch striped bass with light tackle. I'll join you soon.

#4 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Scott,
It looks you are doing tackle breaking test. :)
The rod and reel are good for smaller fish like fluke, sea trout. :)
But,it is so much fun to catch striped bass with light tackle. I'll join you soon.

After catching at least 50 bass up to 45#s I dont think you have to worry about them breaking. The reels were very smooth even at full drag and trust me the bigger bass were ripping line pretty good for at least 100 feet. Im definitely gonna keep using them for stripers,i want to see how well they stand up to my abuse. The guys that fished with me were extremely impressed and I think you are gonna sell a bunch of these combos :thumbsu: Cant wait to start some serious fluking

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Scott invited me for striped bass this morning and I had a chance to fight a striped bass with JM Arrester 630 reel/6'9" Black Hole Cygnus inshore rod combo.
I cast light weighted treble hook to snag bunker and the Arrester 630 cast great and the drag is extremely smooth.

I was surprised to meet my old fishing buddy Fred on the boat. It was about 20 years ago when I fished with Fred for blackfish out of Chincoteague, Va. He is a field tester for Shimano.

We found bunker one or two miles out of Belmar Inlet, NJ and Fred cast a net perfectly.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fred got the first nice striped bass on snagged bunker.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

double hookups by Scott and Fred
Posted Image

30 - 35 lb nice stripers
Posted Image

Black Hole Cygnus rod and JM Arrester 630 reel in action
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

snagging bunker with weighted treble hook
Posted Image

Limit catch of stripers (2 per person) in just over 2 hours.
Posted Image

I wanted to test Black Hole Teifun rubber jigs and Biter jigs for fluke, but I gave up the plan because of big swell in the morning.

#6 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Scotty,
I wouldn't mind coming up there and catching some of those. Let me know.

#7 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Scotty,

Anytime you are available Bud. We just need to check the weather and go......its usually good till the middle of June.

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Scotty,

David,
You also can fish bluefin in NJ or in Cape Cod with me.

#9 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Kil and Scott, when you feel confident we can catch a keeper BFT and a couple of keeper stripers let me know and I will drive up, I love eating both types of fish and I would really enjoy some fresh toro!!

#10 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Kil and Scott, when you feel confident we can catch a keeper BFT and a couple of keeper stripers let me know and I will drive up, I love eating both types of fish and I would really enjoy some fresh toro!!

They are here now(bft yft) just not very consistent and its a 35-100 mile run depending and I am only allowed to keep 1 bft unless we also catch 1 over 73....and we will probably need to troll which I know you love to do.So Cape Cod would probably be a better choice. The stripers....well lets just say I am tired of catching them and for that I am grateful...We could also fish for fluke and black seabass cod pollock ling whatever as I know how much you like to eat them :thumbsu:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users