Photo

What one spinning reel would you get for popping and jigging??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 buzzard11

buzzard11
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and want to say it is great. I'm located in the Northeast and can easily get to Cape Cod Bay, Stellwagon Bank, the Notheast Canyons and beyond with my boat. All the fishing I have done in these areas is with conventional tackle, trolling and chunking. I would like to purchase one spinning reel and rod that I can do both popping and jigging for BFT and YFT. I know this may be a difficult question to answer but if you had to purchased a spinning reel to do both what would be the top three choices? Also what wuld the top three rod choices be for these reels. I apprecaite everyone's input. Thanks and tight lines to all.

#2 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

This question have been answered in many posts and on many forums before. As I have understood there are many variables here. First off is the difference between jigging and popping reels. The main difference is the gear ratio. low for jigging (4;1-5:1) and high for popping(5:1-6,2:1) that would mean that you would have to buy two reels for your application. Still there are many people jigging with very high ratios and people popping with low ratios. When using a spinner you cannot use it for cranking and winching the fish up without pumping. It is not practical and can destroy gears, so a low ratio spinning reel will only be right if you have a style that is used to many handle cranks per pump or winding with bait. (rod is till and not pumping)

If your budget is one reel, than go with something inbetween. The Shimano stella 18000 has what I believe a 5,8:1 ratio, this is perfect for popping and can be used for jigging... you just have shorter strokes with the handle as the line retrieve is higher that most jigging reels.

To me if you are speed jigging and popping you want the higher ratio reels, like the stella 18000. You would probably have to gain a new style of jigging because you are gaining line more quickly with less turns on the handle than you are used to if you have been using low ratio jigging reels. But still as you aren't workng a bait I think a high ratio reel would suit you well and can fit your application. But you can also use a low ratio reel for popping. you just have to wind the handle faster!... I think it comes down to what you are most comfortable with

If price is not an Option.

1.shimano stella 18000sw or 10000sw (probably the 18k for you fishing big BFT's) 5,8:1 ratio) or the 20000sw with low ratio if that is preferred
2. Daiwa saltiga 6500H 2010 (5,8:1) or the regular 6500 (think it is 4,4:1)
3. Daiwa dogfight (6,2:1)

Those are top tier reels! See alan hawk website for best spinning reels review.

As of rods it still depends on style of fishing and if you are popping or jigging as they are two completely different rods.

jigging: use short rods 4,8-5,6 foot jigging rods. Most high end rods are fully parabolic and for a reason. It put's the hurt on the fish not the angler!

spinal series one or two. from 300g to 500g depending on drag used and size fish (from250usd)
Black hole cape cod special 350-450g approx 360usd
Synit Kaha, venom, deepshot, deepshot seriola also called tuna pro. 350-550g

there are many high end rods out there too well capable of the task. carpenter, fisherman, smith, MC works, ripple fisher, yamaga, shimano blue rose and jigwrex.

for popping. I thin 7-8,6 foot rods are used.

Black hole, spinal, Oti, yamaga, smith... alot of others.

#3 buzzard11

buzzard11
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the information. I have been surfing the web and there is a lot out there but have not found anything as detailed as your explanation. I had also checked out Alan Hawks website and saw that he had the Penn Torque spinning as his number 2 reel. An other reels that seemed to get good reviews on line where Van Staal VS275.

I'm leaning towards the Stella but interested in Penn and Van Staal since they are about $300 cheaper (that could cover the cost of the rod). I appreciate your input. Take care

#4 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

If you are looking for a jigging reel look no further than the Stella. The "smoothness" ie the effort required to turn the handle, is by far the least among all manufacturers. This is highly desirable in a jigging reel as it saves substantial effort over the day.

In addition, jigging techniques as I understand them in the NE are primarily less deep and less strenuous styles than elsewhere. This means lighter jigs and shorter retrieves before back to the bottom.

Famous Jigger Gman (Glenn Kross) and a top NE Captn. (Dom Petrarca) got into this debate and Dom thought the Stella 18k was the way to go for BFT in NE, Gman stuck to the standard logic of the 20K if you were only going to have one reel as it has more capacity.

It came down to their style. Gman is very vigorous speed jigger so he needs the lower ratio to save effort, Dom, more simple yo-yo with the rod and a few cranks so he isn't hurt by the fast retrieve much.

Gman was more comfortable with the 20k on top (again willing to use more effort to get a fast retrieve) and Dom, wanted the high speed to make lures really skip back to the boat with less effort.

Bottom line, there is no clear answer if you want to do both. That's why Shimano has 2 different retrieval rates and it's no accident.

Pick your poison :).

Edited by johndtuttle, 04 May 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#5 buzzard11

buzzard11
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for your reply. Any opinions/views on the Penn Torque. I've read on this forum that the Canyon Runner had good luck with them on BFT. Is Stella the way to go? What options would you recommend that may be a little cheaper, better than a Saragos and less money than the Stella?

#6 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Per Alan Hawk the Torque is very good but a poor option for jigging due to effort turning the handle. He tried jigging all day with one and was completely worn out. It is definitely viable for popping though.

There are no other reels to consider really, because if you need the larger capacity for seriously long runs by big fish (400+yards) the Saragosa cannot handle that without failure (cap melting). The only reason to get a Saragosa is to gain the extra inches per crank from the large spool, but it is a ~100lb fish max reel, reliably.

Sorry, there simply are no shortcuts if you are going to cast to big fish. Head over to 360tuna.com and keep an eye peeled. Very lightly used 18ks are routinely seen for ~$750 there. Or, you can simply accept that you are under gunned and get say, a Sustain FG 10K which will handle anything within it's capacity.

best

Edited by johndtuttle, 04 May 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#7 Tarponjack

Tarponjack
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Just got an 18K for that price.

I own 2 Torques, & yes the Stella is smoother.
The Torque is a very good all round reel, but will be harder to Jig with.

#8 Jupss

Jupss
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Hello hadnor, I a little confused . Could you explain a little more on the gear ratio what does the first digit, second and last digit stands for . Appreciate the info .

#9 Jupss

Jupss
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

Wish to get a sustain 10000k . Will this be suitable for jigging and popping.

#10 TUNABUFF

TUNABUFF
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

Gear ratio numbers explained. Example 5:1 means the spool will turn 5 times to every turn of the reel handle. Another example meaning the same just with a decimal, 5.1:1 means the spool will turn 5.1 times to every turn of the reel handle. Hope this helps?

Benny

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

My recommendation is you buy two different set of rods: jigging and popping.
I've seen many fishermen use one rods for jigging and popping, but I don't see any of them catch tuna consistently.
However, you can use spinning reels for both. If money is not a concern and you are not sure what reel you buy, then buy Shimano Stella.

#12 Jupss

Jupss
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Well noted and understood really glad found this forum all my fishing advise are here . Cheers to all.

#13 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Just back two weeks ago from a GOM trip going after YFT. I personally had no problems jigging (speed jigging, not yo-yoing) all night long with my Torque TRQS7s although will say the Stella felt smoother in the hand when comparing the two at a Bass Pro Shop. If you go with the Torque and want to jig with it I'd recommend removing the seal under the spool and it will be smoother (the european model does not have the seal).

Although the Stella is considered the gold standard I picked up both of my Torque 7's for less than the cost of one stella. B) I've got my jigging and popping reels right there.

#14 Ali

Ali
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

Very well said, I do have a couple of questions:

1- I don't understand this " When using a spinner you cannot use it for cranking and winching the fish up without pumping"

2- I did get a shimano blue rose & a Stella 20,000SW, I need some guidance with  popping which reel and rod to use.....

This question have been answered in many posts and on many forums before. As I have understood there are many variables here. First off is the difference between jigging and popping reels. The main difference is the gear ratio. low for jigging (4;1-5:1) and high for popping(5:1-6,2:1) that would mean that you would have to buy two reels for your application. Still there are many people jigging with very high ratios and people popping with low ratios. When using a spinner you cannot use it for cranking and winching the fish up without pumping. It is not practical and can destroy gears, so a low ratio spinning reel will only be right if you have a style that is used to many handle cranks per pump or winding with bait. (rod is till and not pumping)

If your budget is one reel, than go with something inbetween. The Shimano stella 18000 has what I believe a 5,8:1 ratio, this is perfect for popping and can be used for jigging... you just have shorter strokes with the handle as the line retrieve is higher that most jigging reels.

To me if you are speed jigging and popping you want the higher ratio reels, like the stella 18000. You would probably have to gain a new style of jigging because you are gaining line more quickly with less turns on the handle than you are used to if you have been using low ratio jigging reels. But still as you aren't workng a bait I think a high ratio reel would suit you well and can fit your application. But you can also use a low ratio reel for popping. you just have to wind the handle faster!... I think it comes down to what you are most comfortable with

If price is not an Option.

1.shimano stella 18000sw or 10000sw (probably the 18k for you fishing big BFT's) 5,8:1 ratio) or the 20000sw with low ratio if that is preferred
2. Daiwa saltiga 6500H 2010 (5,8:1) or the regular 6500 (think it is 4,4:1)
3. Daiwa dogfight (6,2:1)

Those are top tier reels! See alan hawk website for best spinning reels review.

As of rods it still depends on style of fishing and if you are popping or jigging as they are two completely different rods.

jigging: use short rods 4,8-5,6 foot jigging rods. Most high end rods are fully parabolic and for a reason. It put's the hurt on the fish not the angler!

spinal series one or two. from 300g to 500g depending on drag used and size fish (from250usd)
Black hole cape cod special 350-450g approx 360usd
Synit Kaha, venom, deepshot, deepshot seriola also called tuna pro. 350-550g

there are many high end rods out there too well capable of the task. carpenter, fisherman, smith, MC works, ripple fisher, yamaga, shimano blue rose and jigwrex.

for popping. I thin 7-8,6 foot rods are used.

Black hole, spinal, Oti, yamaga, smith... alot of others.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users