Jig N Pop in Ascension Island

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

While oilfish is banned for human consumption by the law in Japan, but oilfish (Escola)are served as "white tuna" at sushi restaurants in Korea. You even see "white tuna" at Sushi restaurants owned by Korean in NYC.

#52 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

I am sure this will be Patrick "Kimbo" Anthony, if it is, you have got the right man for the job. I have fished many times with Kimbo, he knows the local waters very well & can handle big fish boatside with no problems. I would think the boat will be Lady Shy, it is an old converted lifeboat that is slow but handles the sea well. (I will try & contact Kimbo and have a chat) I would suggest taking a GPS with the location of the steep drop-offs/pinicals etc programmed in as the locals normal methods of fishing are troll & bait at anchor. (I can email scan of charts to you no problem, the seabed is very impressive!) If you want to target the oilfish at night tell him you want fish at "The Pipeline" mark. This mark is your best nightime location for a wide range of species. (Don't drop a bait down to the bottom though as I don't think you would want a 1000lb plus Six-gill on your jigging rod!) I will let you know the other marks I would fish via email ;)

Yes,he is Patrick Anthony.
A fisherman from Norway posted that his friends fished with local fisherman named Nody ? Do you know him ?

tuna/bird one mile off the Island
Posted Image

#53 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

-

Edited by Notorious, 16 May 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#54 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hey Kil-

Consider me in for this trip once you nail down the dates. =)

Hi Peter,
We have a group of four right now. If anyone cancel the trip, I let you know.
This is a kind of exploratory trip and I usually ask other fishermen after I make an exploratory trip.

I heard you are living in South Africa. Did you go tuna fishing out of Cape Town ?
I almost fished there three years ago. The guy who invited me advised not to come just before leaving for Cape Town because tuna fishing was very slow then.

#55 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

:startle: :startle: :startle:

Yes,he is Patrick Anthony.
A fisherman from Norway posted that his friends fished with local fisherman named Nody ? Do you know him ?

tuna/bird one mile off the Island
Posted Image

Noddy Lawrence did indeed pass last year as Jason said below. He died out on his boat, the only way he would ever go :) Noddy was the guy in the Bamboo clip & many other video's he was without doubt a great fisherman & great Character to boot.
Patrick & Noddy fished as a team for as many years as I can remember and to be honest Patrick often did most of the work whilst Noddy enjoyed another Castle (beer). In fact I think my first ever trip was with these two guys, 19 YFT in 3 hours a mile off the pier :) If you asked me who I would go fishing with on Island Patrick is your man.

The Photo of the feed you have shown was at the SW corner & they were feeding on grouper (Rock Hind) fry that was being pushed up from the reef 100m below. The Skippies among the YFT went to 35 lb :) I posted it on Google Earth & it turns up all over the place :)
We went over to 1 boil that morning thinking it was Big YFT to find it was a large group of Galapagos Shark also feeding on the grouper fry! Needless to say we turned before our trolled lures got anywhere near them :startle:

Edited by TJ Hook, 16 May 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#56 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

While oilfish is banned for human consumption by the law in Japan, but oilfish (Escola)are served as "white tuna" at sushi restaurants in Korea. You even see "white tuna" at Sushi restaurants owned by Korean in NYC.

I was told by a fisherman from the Canaries that the meat away from the bone is OK & will not give you the S**ts. To be honest I don't think I would try it especially when Deepwater Bullseyes are caught at the same place :)

#57 PanamaJack

PanamaJack
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Well first post, and I registered initially to research the popper and jig fishing from Bali when I spotted this thread.

Fascinating to read Tim reminiscing about Ascension. It really is an incredible fishery. And I clearly remember that first time I fished there. Our first release (on SHY 3) was a 900lb Blue and, apart from other Blues – the focus was on trolling - we had Yellowfin to 225lbs. And I recall the God’s Favour/God’s Will operation (at that time the renamed Madam and the Hooker) weighing a 1146lb Blue.

The imponderable on that trip though was the abortive strikes both we and our fellow Club members on Andromeda had from Tuna. The gouts of water were um ... IMPRESSIVE popping the bands on the stinger lines but failing to hook up. But what were they? The crewman on Andromeda at the time - Zak Conde - an Azorean - was convinced they were Bluefin. Returning to the islands that Christmas he talked to Tuna skippers who had fished that area of the South Atlantic – remember there is a 200 mile fishery exclusion zone around Ascension - some years before and encountered the occasional Bluefin. However another of our members, with links to the commercial industry, was of the opinion that they were actually huge BigEye; the same ones encountered commercially further North in the Gulf of Guinea. (Olaf the current skipper of Harmattan had I know has subsequently caught a number of smaller BigEyes.)

Those SixGills Tim mentioned are indeed ‘thick on the ground’ and the All Tackle World Record has been broken there on a number of occasions with even bigger fish released. And the Billfish species. On that particular 4th July tournament that Tim mentioned Denis had a Spearfish and a White as well as his ‘grander’ plus lost a Sailfish.

But its sheer variety of species is truly amazing. The Black Jacks are literally everywhere, we’ve even caught them slow trolling at night with down-riggered baits for Broadbill. Mixed in with them however are world recorded sized Horse Eyes. Trying to avoid the Black Jacks is the issue though. And Tim made reference to Rainbow Runner. Another of the crewman at the time, Marty Bates, a Kiwi like Zak now skippering a boat in Cape Verde, caught a world recorded sized one on fly tackle from the shore without appreciating just how big it was.
You’ve seen Tim’s image of one of the Amberjack but big Almacos are also encountered and of course nearly as prolific as the Black Jacks around Bird Island are the Galapagos Sharks. Look through the IGFA records and you’ll see Denis Froud’s AT record for a 308 pounder.

Getting bookings on Harmattan aren’t easy though during the Marlin season. It’s in the main repeat clients. And of course for any exploratory trip ‘out of season’ Matthias would need to factor in the costs of sending the crew down for a relatively short period of time. (Although on occasions I know Matthias has occasionally, apart from Roddy Hays of ‘legend lure fame’, allowed a spear fishing organisation to hire it.) Our Royal Air Force have the ‘monopoly’ and flights are far from cheap, especially for ‘Stateside anglers having to add in the costs of a trans-Atlantic flight.

One thing I would mention, and perhaps this is me being paranoiac, if you’re considering fishing there, go soon.

This strategically placed island, midway between Northern Brazil and Angola on the Africa coast, has a 14000’ runway – built by the Americans after WW2 – and just over 20 UK military personnel based there. I’ve no idea how many American personnel are there. Apart from those there are contract workers from St Helena nearly a thousand miles away and special staff working for Cable & Wireless and the BBC. And technically, even if you’re born on the island, you become a citizen of St Helena. Ascension is a dependency of the British Overseas Territory of St Helena. Convenient if your country’s Foreign Office were ever considering, like Diego Garcia, leasing the island to the Americans? Bear in mind as well that we’re now started constructing a runway on St Helena that will take short range commercial aircraft from South Africa. With a link to Ascension ... um ... possibly not.

To finish the conspiracy theory you can go back to Tim’s comment about trying to import a boat down there. Permission denied, even when Shy 3 sunk whilst they were trying to re-launch it, and talking to the Island Administrator this was at a time they were trying to develop the island’s tourist potential to reduce dependency on British taxpayers.

Anyway, back to my research on Bali.

#58 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Welcome aboard PanamaJack. :thumbsu:

It looks Ascension has a amazing fishery.
Visiting Ascension Island becomes my number one priority in 2013 and I am working on it now. :)

If the Harmattan is not available for charter during July/Aug, there is very little alternatives if any.
Local fishermen have full time jobs there and they can fish only a few hours during weekdays.

I wish I could rent a boat. :)

#59 PanamaJack

PanamaJack
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Welcome aboard PanamaJack. :thumbsu:

It looks Ascension has a amazing fishery.
Visiting Ascension Island becomes my number one priority in 2013 and I am working on it now. :)

If the Harmattan is not available for charter during July/Aug, there is very little alternatives if any.
Local fishermen have full time jobs there and they can fish only a few hours during weekdays.

I wish I could rent a boat. :)

Many Thanks. Most of the locals are employed in maintaining the island's and camps' infrastructure and finish work around 5pm so they're always willing to take you out for short trips in the evenings. But, whilst there's always someone with time off during the week, their interests are more likely to be essentially focussed on the YFT.

I'm sure though if through the forum you could put together a number of groups over a three or four week period to fish down there Matthias would probably consider putting a knowledgeable crew down there. Just bear in mind, at least when I was fishing down there, flights were essentially one every four days. You catch the return when the plane's been down to the Falkland Islands and back for re-fuelling.

By the way, and totally unrelated, do you by any chance know Dave Irving, a Brit, a mad keen popper 'n' jigger, who until last (early) November was working in Miami?

#60 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

By the way, and totally unrelated, do you by any chance know Dave Irving, a Brit, a mad keen popper 'n' jigger, who until last (early) November was working in Miami?

Yer, Dave is a friend of mine. We fished Kodiak Island, Alaska together a few years ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#61 PanamaJack

PanamaJack
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

That's Dave. He's now based in Taiwan and still fishing. This was a note I got from him two months ago:

I did watch Paul's video of the hammerhead.....thats a fish I missed out on in the Keys, have only ever landed a small one (about 100lb) on a jig in Texas a few years ago.

I have just arrived in Taiwan after a 5 month holiday in Guatemala/Ecuador/Galapagos Islands/Thailand/Cambodia and Laos....only did 3 days fishing in ratchaburi Thailand and caught the usual species - Redtail Catfish, Gourami, Alligator Gar, Pacu, Chao Phraya Catfish and my first Rohu (small).

Will probably do some offshore jigging here in Taiwan in the coming months and hopefully get some dogtooth tuna...the amberjacks here are not as big as the ones in NC.

Good luck with the Goliaths (had my biggest last year at 300lb....nearly killed me)

The Hammerhead he was referring to was one about 800lbs I hooked (and lost after 10 minutes) on totally inadequate spin gear last November whilst targeting Blacktips in the 'Keys. A cold front had driven the targeted species - Permit - of the Flats so it was a case of 'needs must'. There's always something around. However it was not as BIG as a 14 footer we'd attempted to bait, same spot, the previous day.

And the Goliaths. Um ... that was one of the target species earlier this month back in Marathon together with the Tarpon. But another persistent cold front over the Bahamas messed things out. We managed a day, Atlantic side, for Sails and four cancelled days on the Flats. Frustrating!

#62 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

I got an email from a local boat charter that he is available while we visit Ascension in 2013. I sent an email whether seats of the airline are available for our trip.
If they say yes, everything should be arranged for the 2013 trip by the end of next month.

#63 BlueMarlinAscension

BlueMarlinAscension
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for sharing the photos Mr Hook, i'd forgotten how fat I look ;-)

#64 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for sharing the photos Mr Hook, i'd forgotten how fat I look ;-)

Welcome aboard BlueMarlinAscension.

I confirmed 4 seats of the flight to Ascension Island are available on dates in July next year.
I think everything is finalized by the end of June.

#65 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

I am planning two GT popping trips to Marquesas Island in French Polynesia and in remote island in Southeast Asia next year, but the trip to Ascension Island is number one priority.

I don't think it is easy to catch tuna from the shore as you have to be at the right time at the right place even in Ascension Island, but at least there are chances to catch yft from the beach in the Island.

It is time consuming to fly from NY to England and to Ascension Island, but it is not that bad either compared to other two trips I plan in 2013.

#66 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Any updates on trip Kil?

#67 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Any updates on trip Kil?

They say flight schedule for summer in 2013 is not set yet.
As soon as they announce next summer's fight schedule, I let you know.

#68 PanamaJack

PanamaJack
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hi Kil

I thought you may be interested in this note I recently received from one of our Club members.

Awesome is the only way to describe Ascension.

Unfortunately we had rather a long stay in Brize Norton - the Royal Air Force base in the UK - due to the air conditioning sensor registering a fault. So having already got on the plane we then had to get off! We hung around for 19 hours, but Hey Ho we did eventually arrive at Ascension.

Not deterred we decided not to sleep and get down to Long Beach as suggested by you and Tim Hook. We watched the sun come up on the beach and as it rose the first of the birds arrived and another and another. The fry were everywhere! Our Raider lures were sent out as far as we could get them and then wound in rapidly only to be met with serious resistance from Amber, Black and Almaco Jacks and Rainbow Runners, and finally Yellowfin Tuna.

We had 17 shore caught YFT to 55lb in 7 days fishing from Long and Pan Am beaches and lost a further 10,to hook pulls, and a couple of smash ups due to leaders going through shoals of fish. In addition we did have two evenings on the boat with YFT to 80lb, some Bulls Eye to 3.8lbs and AJs. But we much preferred the beach fishing with the long runs that the YFT gave. It was truly incredible to catch big game fish from the shore!

Only a couple of days before we got there an 80 pounder had been caught from the beach almost spooling the guy 5 times! I will be back very soon, that is definite!

PS I took 3 of my 8 YFT one evening on consecutive casts, each taking between 30/45 minutes to land.

Found Coronation Flats whilst we were there but unfortunately with the big swells not fishable. But what an incredible place, never seen blue water that close in before.

In this note our member focussed on the Yellowfin but he also mentioned, separately, that some of the Rainbow Runners were decent sized fish. The best he had on spin gear went 18lb 12oz (8.5kg) and on fly one of 16lb 14oz (7.65kg). The latter, taken on a 16lb tippet, is over the existing IGFA world record of 12lbs.

Just to further illustrate how close the Yellowfin and Amberjack get to the beach there’re some images towards the bottom of the 'home page' of this link - http://www.ingridmarie.eu/ASC.html - where you can see Ingrid, Marty Bates wife, snorkelling. (Those of you who have visited Sao Vicente in the Cape Verde Islands (or Ghana, the Azores or Panama) will probably recognise Marty (and Ingrid) who skippers a boat there during the Spring and Summer months.)

Apologies as well I'm sure others have posted this video clip - . I always get a laugh from it! It's of Patrick, the guy our member fished with and Tim referred to, with another character Noddy – who unfortunately died last year - landing a YFT of 275lbs in 5 seconds flat! Um .... a bit of an unconventional technique. Certainly quicker than the fly rodder paying for the charter!

Edited by PanamaJack, 17 July 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#69 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi Dave,

Just emailed Jon before I read this to see how the trip went. Pleased he had a good one & took some raiders with him ;)

Regards & Tightlines,

Tim

#70 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Couple of AWESOME pictures taken from just off the beach, July is the month for fun from the shore.

http://smg.photobuck...=1342549364.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...=1342549362.jpg

#71 PanamaJack

PanamaJack
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Couple of AWESOME pictures taken from just off the beach, July is the month for fun from the shore.

http://smg.photobuck...=1342549364.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...=1342549362.jpg

Great images Tim! Jon has sent me through images of some of the shore caught YFT and Rainbow Runner. Once I've re-sized them I'll post them to this thread.

All the Best

Dave

#72 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

2013 is going to be a GOOD year!!!! Thankyou for report PanamaJack.

#73 PanamaJack

PanamaJack
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

Just a few images.

Attached Files

#74 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Great Pictures Dave,
Jon sent me a few through but unfortunatly I have reached my limit for posting. Those Rainbow Runners are great sport from the shore, I have caught them by hand before as they chase the fry round your legs! All are great fish from the shore for sure:) I understand an 80lb Yellowfin was also taken from the shore while the guys were there, bet that was fun. I understand x2 Cabo 80's are now toast too.
Tightlines,
Tim

#75 PanamaJack

PanamaJack
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Those Rainbow Runners are great sport from the shore, I have caught them by hand before as they chase the fry round your legs! All are great fish from the shore for sure:)

And over the existing 16lb tippet class record. I remember though Marty Bates caught another big one on fly gear, again over the World record, that Summer they brought Shy 3, Andromeda and Harmattan down from Ghana.

#76 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

It seems we don't need any charter boat there. We just need a surf rod or a rental kayak. :)

#77 popper tosser

popper tosser
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

It seems we don't need any charter boat there. We just need a surf rod or a rental kayak. :)

Now I don't want to spoil your plans - but there are some minor details you guys need to know about. I have just returned from ascension - and have had a fantastic trip, with loads of 50lb tuna on poppper from a boat - a dozen most evenings in a couple of hours,one followed in by a 500# blue
could have caught 2x the amount if we had decent popper rods with us - just choosing blanks now to ring with the remnants of our fractured rods!

Tim kindly gave us loads of useful for info, but I believe things have changed since he was last there
I understand (please correct me Tim) that you were there 8 to 10 years ago. I understand that the scad were around for around 3 years during this period (and I guess with some seasonality within this)
The scad have been absent for the last 3 years - and were only around for a very brief period this July - we were there 2 weeks later than the other guys mentioned - no scad around, but tuna still around and very hungry - not a lot in their stomachs other than our chunks - and odd ones with bottom fish and tiny squid in them

You will obviously not get the tuna from the shore - or any of the other pelagics, without the scad.

I don't know about tuna the rest of the year, what holds them, if anything, or whether they are just caught in passage.

I have attached my comments and tips from our trip - hope it's of help.

Like I say, dont want to be a spoiler - but don't want you to make plans that don't relate to the current behaviour of the scad!

Attached Files

#78 popper tosser

popper tosser
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

I understand x2 Cabo 80's are now toast too.
Tightlines,
Tim

so is my cabo 80 - crap! - already had the anti-reverse repaired after very little use - same thing again, then a bale arm screw drops out
swapped to my saragosa 8000 and different again - perfectly man enough for 50lb tuna
everyone gets carried away with max drags - no use if the rest of the reel falls into pieces at the same time

#79 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thanks popper tosser for the detailed info.
I usually make a lots of research before I make a trip to a new destination.
Landing a tuna from the shore is a kind of dream. But I know Ascension Island can offer many other things even tuna don't come close to casting distance from the shore.

#80 popper tosser

popper tosser
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

Thanks popper tosser for the detailed info.

Landing a tuna from the shore is a kind of dream. .

no problem

it was my dream too - and I think it may remain a dream!
the big problem is that it is not simple to just book a flight once you know the scad are in!

#81 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

When you travel to a remote area like Ascension Island, I don't want to experience tackle failures. I am asked so many times from other fishermen to recommend strong rods and reels for big tuna for reasonable price and I am still looking for. Rods and reels are expensive, but I'd rather bring proven high quality rods/reels for such an expensive trip.
For tuna, I used only Stella and Saragosa among Shimano reels, but I found Saragosa is goog enough only upto 100 - 120 lb tuna.
My choices of spinning reels on the Ascension Island trip is Stella 10000SW, 18000SW, 20000SW, Saltiga 6500 and Penn TQR.
For conventional reels I know no jigging reels are better than JM PE reel, but I'll bring a few other reels for testing.

#82 popper tosser

popper tosser
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

Kilsong

trouble is we struggle to find the right gear in the uk - rods in particular
I will be contacting you shortly to import a few decent blanks

the other issue we had with Ascension was weight - gear for big shark from the shore weighs heavy (notwithstanding that our research failed us in that we didn't twig that July is not shark season, from the shore, at least) I left a saltiga behind coz of weight!

ascension flights told us we couldnt buy extra allowance - and yet the aircrew asked us if we had bought allowance to cover our excess! - maybe the military can buy extra??

re Kimbo's boat, Starfish, 2 pax maximum, no electronics working on board, so take your own (more weight)
he does go to the east side weather permitting, but cost rises to £250 for half day, and you wont get much fishing time by the time his boat gets there - & he saves weekend afternoons/evenings for his time off!! - he was doing 12/13 hour days by the time head had taken us out, and cleaned and sold/dispersed all the catch)
so no chance of a longer day with him

One big boat was fishing when we were there - not sure if Harmattan

pete

#83 cooldudesg54

cooldudesg54
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hey guys i would be interested in a trip in 2013 both shore fishing and a couple of days afloat do u guys know how much the travel insurance would cost as i hear it can be very expensive ?

#84 popper tosser

popper tosser
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

the issue with the insurance is that it should cover repatriation in case of illness
so its now down to your policy

#85 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Now I don't want to spoil your plans - but there are some minor details you guys need to know about. I have just returned from ascension - and have had a fantastic trip, with loads of 50lb tuna on poppper from a boat - a dozen most evenings in a couple of hours,one followed in by a 500# blue
could have caught 2x the amount if we had decent popper rods with us - just choosing blanks now to ring with the remnants of our fractured rods!

Tim kindly gave us loads of useful for info, but I believe things have changed since he was last there
I understand (please correct me Tim) that you were there 8 to 10 years ago. I understand that the scad were around for around 3 years during this period (and I guess with some seasonality within this)
The scad have been absent for the last 3 years - and were only around for a very brief period this July - we were there 2 weeks later than the other guys mentioned - no scad around, but tuna still around and very hungry - not a lot in their stomachs other than our chunks - and odd ones with bottom fish and tiny squid in them

You will obviously not get the tuna from the shore - or any of the other pelagics, without the scad.

I don't know about tuna the rest of the year, what holds them, if anything, or whether they are just caught in passage.

I have attached my comments and tips from our trip - hope it's of help.

Like I say, dont want to be a spoiler - but don't want you to make plans that don't relate to the current behaviour of the scad!

Hi Pete,

Read your report with great interest, full of some great info for first time visiters & nice to read another angler’s perception when visiting Ascension. See the age old problems with the flights/baggage etc will never be resolved :(
Ref my own angling trips down there; I started going down there in 1992 & my last trip, which was my 53rd :) was 5 years ago now. I spent a total of over 2 years fishing down there from boat & shore; I also travelled some 466,000 miles doing it! The flights were thankfully free & I got paid well too, which I must admit was a bonus but I would have gone for free :)
Ref the Fry (Scad) run; not sure about the 3 years when the fry were there the entire time story, but I certainly don't have any recollection/records of it, the odd year if the temp/conditions were good you might get 6 months. I do remember out of the times I visited a couple of years when the Scad didn't turn up which was put down to 2 different reasons at the time: El Nino 1 year & Illegal long liners who hit the area heavily, taking the all the fry at night with lights/fine nets. To be honest I would stand by Jul being the best month for the fry run, (was this year albeit a short run!) This is not just from my many trips but I also organised 12 fishing tours a year for RAF anglers to go down there. All tours had to (military thing) submit a tour report of how it fished & detailed catch rates/weights etc for different species. These reports were a gold mine of info & far as I know the only accurate/detailed records ever kept of the fishery. The RAF Angling Association tours fished the Island from 1984 until Dec 2007 & records were kept for that period, quite a lot of data I’m sure you will agree. I spent many hours trawling through them to find various patterns including the best time for Fry, YFT (Big & small - normally 2 runs of bigger fish, Jul & Nov!) Best time for BET (SAO winter), Albacore (again SAO winter) Pelagic sharks (SAO spring), Tigers (Nov/Dec there feeding on turtles). I could go on but I think you get the drift. Funny thing is on Island you can ask a guy when is the best time for fry, tuna or Wahoo etc & his answer will often change from year to year. Kimbo has a fair/good handle on it, though he did miss several years when he first got married, the new wife didn't like the fishing & drinking in the Saints Bar afterwards!!!
I wonder if the last 2/3 years change in the fry turning up is down to long liners hitting that area of the SAO again or more likely the changing world weather patterns. Pity this Julys run didn't last a few more weeks, unfortunately for you guys the old saying you should have been here last week really was the case :( It is a real pity as it is for sure a sight to behold for any angler lucky enough to be there during the fry run. By the way another good time to catch pelagics from the shore are when you get a good grouper/squirrel fry season & again the Tuna/Dorado etc are not shy to come in close to feed on them. I have had great times down at the Tank Farm at English Bay with a Dorado attached to a small orange squirrel fry sized Rapala. Predicting this is harder then the fry run though you need a little cooler water then normal when they are spawning.
Pleased you still had a good time & had some fun on the boat though; Patrick is a good guy with lots of stories still no doubt. Ref the price for back of the Island looks like Patrick understands supply & demand better then the late Noddy did, we would normally pay an extra £20(£120 total) towards the extra fuel cost. The sport boat you saw operating, I am fairly sure, would be the Range Rider which is a USAF welfare boat (a 40 something footer, takes the USAF base guys out fishing/diving for only a bit more then the cost of fuel). By all accounts it was an impounded drug runner bought of the DEA for $1, & then shipped from Florida on a military ship for free, wish I could have bought one too !!!!!!!!!!!

From your report there are a few things I think you were told when you were down there that I would have different views on. To be honest I think every angler has his take on things & it's his right to have. I’m happy with my take on Ascension as I know I’ve fished it over many years at its best & worst, unfortunately many who make judgements/statements of the fishery have not & I suppose I should feel lucky. I'm sure Kil knows the chance of catching a YFT from the shore is slim but to be honest I don't know of a lot of other places it's even on the cards. I've fished over 20 countries including the likes of the Maldives, Ghana, RSA, South China Sea, etc, etc & to be honest when Ascension is on form, (which is a good deal of the time) I have yet to see it bettered :)

Tightlines,

Tim

P.S. The reason the Tuna etc are there year round in numbers is mainly for the small squid & shrimp (& occasionally fry!), that themselves are there because of the plankton bloom that caused by the nutrients from the upwelling the Island creates.......not a lot of people know that ;)

Edited by TJ Hook, 24 August 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#86 cooldudesg54

cooldudesg54
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

Ive heard they have now granted commercial longline licenses inside the 150 mile exclusion zone. It would be interesting to see where the money would go in such a small sland and also who granted these licenses, they will be going for yellow fin tuna so i imagine they will be paying a large fee to fish such a rich piece of water. Although their target quary will be tuna they will no doubt snare many different types of marine life in the area including marlin and sharks.

#87 popper tosser

popper tosser
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

Tim

very interested in your further comments - your knowledge of Ascension is huge, and I fully respect everything you say.
My only concern was that other posts here and elsewhere gave the impression that it is just a case of turning up for the scad run in july, and it's a bean-feast
and my comments are all very much "as far as I have experienced, and from information I have been given" and I wouldnt pretend otherwise.
For us as Ascencion virgins, it was a case of getting as much info from as many sources as possible and planning on that basis
and your further info above adds to my data bank! - and qualifies some of my thoughts.

Ref the Fry (Scad) run; not sure about the 3 years when the fry were there the entire time story, but I certainly don't have any recollection/records of it, the odd year if the temp/conditions were good you might get 6 months.

My impression was of an annual run which lasted much of the year - just a bit of exaggeration I guess!

I do remember out of the times I visited a couple of years when the Scad didn't turn up which was put down to 2 different reasons at the time: El Nino 1 year & Illegal long liners who hit the area heavily, taking the all the fry at night with lights/fine nets. To be honest I would stand by Jul being the best month for the fry run, (was this year albeit a short run!)

I wonder if the last 2/3 years change in the fry turning up is down to long liners hitting that area of the SAO again or more likely the changing world weather patterns.

this is what I fear
I have been thinking a lot about fry/scad!! - plankton move with the currents, scad move with them - and predators ditto. I wonder how much active migration there is - I suspect it is mostly passively moving with the currents.
I guess fry may hold in a good area if the plankton keep coming - is a long fry season because the plankton just keeps coming and they hold, or is it because the shoals are so huge, and may take weeks or longer in passing? (ie if they are only there for a week, it is because the shoals have been decimated?)

i worry hugely about current shifts - we've seen what jetstream changes have done to our summer here in the UK, and I guess sea currents are no diferent - with small changes in direction/path having huge implications. Let's just hope its like El Nino - a recurrent natural variation, rather than climatic shift, or over-fishing as you suggest, though I somehow doubt it!

Patrick is a good guy with lots of stories still no doubt. Ref the price for back of the Island looks like Patrick understands supply & demand better then the late Noddy did

Very diplomatic!

From your report there are a few things I think you were told when you were down there that I would have different views on. To be honest I think every angler has his take on things & it's his right to have.

That is what is so great about this forum - we can all learn

I’m happy with my take on Ascension as I know I’ve fished it over many years at its best & worst, unfortunately many who make judgements/statements of the fishery have not & I suppose I should feel lucky. I'm sure Kil knows the chance of catching a YFT from the shore is slim but to be honest I don't know of a lot of other places it's even on the cards. I've fished over 20 countries including the likes of the Maldives, Ghana, RSA, South China Sea, etc, etc & to be honest when Ascension is on form, (which is a good deal of the time) I have yet to see it bettered :)

Well we had a fantastic time - but I wonder what we would have done had we not been able to get afloat with Kimbo. If you (or me?) hit it wrong in July with no fry running, is there anything sizeable to target other than jacks and perhaps deeper jigging off coronation flats?

The big-boat opportunities sound phenomenal - I look forward to returning!

Thanks again for your info Tim - a great resource for us all.

Edited by popper tosser, 25 August 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#88 cooldudesg54

cooldudesg54
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

When are u guys going i would be interested in a trip over next year.

#89 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks popper tosser for posting your recent experience in Ascension Island.
Some just post when they have great trips, but slow fishing report is as important as great fishing report.
When you read tuna fishing report in NC and in Cape Cod, you get the impression you can catch big bluefin any time you go. I had about 25 tuna tips to NC and Cape Cod and I saw tuna only 4 - 5 trips this year.

I expect to catch lots of tuna when I visit Ascension Island, but I also expect unexpected slow fishing. I can't wait to visit Ascension Island in 2013.

#90 popper tosser

popper tosser
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

When are u guys going i would be interested in a trip over next year.

cooldude
If Kilsong is going to pursuade Harmattan to travel over, might be an opportunity to piggyback after that trip before she leaves for wherever - and if Kislong with all his experience has done the hard work for us exploring the potential and training the skipper and crew, things should be good for the next punters aboard!!

thinking on my feet now - above said partly tongue in cheek, but maybe there is merit here in getting 3 or 4 parties together back to back - which might make it worth harmattan making a presence.
the other thing is that the accommodation has a minimum 15 day charge even if you only stay 7 days - so scope to book the joint for a month and get 3 or 4 parties out of 2 minimum fees
I'm not sure why they charge this way - prob in case of plane delays, but that would work anyway as if the plane is delayed out, it is also delayed in!

what do you reckon Mr Kil?

Edited by popper tosser, 31 August 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#91 handycarp

handycarp
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hi Guys
Just finalising a trip in late May early June to Ascension.The Plan is to Big boat fish on Harmattan for 5 days jigging and chumming Not to worried about chasing Marlin.. On the beach/rocks and local boat for 3 or 4 days .Has anybody got a contact for the local boats on ASC?And Also a bungalow on the Beach contact.Any hot spots for the beach/Rock fishing would be very welcome.We are thinking the scad will not be there( But you never know they may come early).Any other info very welcome.
Thanks and a great site for info. :D :D

#92 popper tosser

popper tosser
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi Guys
Just finalising a trip in late May early June to Ascension.The Plan is to Big boat fish on Harmattan for 5 days jigging and chumming Not to worried about chasing Marlin.. On the beach/rocks and local boat for 3 or 4 days .Has anybody got a contact for the local boats on ASC?And Also a bungalow on the Beach contact.Any hot spots for the beach/Rock fishing would be very welcome.We are thinking the scad will not be there( But you never know they may come early).Any other info very welcome.
Thanks and a great site for info. :D :D

handycarp
here's my bits
http://www.worldseaf...-Ascension-tips
Patricks email address is: PNSCA@cwimail.co.ac - for local boat

have you booked with harmattan - i am keen to know if they will be there outside their traditional season
pete

p

#93 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

#94 ono87

ono87
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Kil,
Hey I use to work there about 12 years ago. Can't beat the fishing on Ascension. Caught my biggest YTF ( 247 lbs) and ono (87 lbs). Good luck to you.

Cheers

Ed

#95 Dimitri

Dimitri
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

WOW, what a scene, awesome and hysterical all at once. Thanks for sharing.

Nicola's report

http://nicolazingare...r-disaster.html

spearfishing pictures and article in Ascension Island

http://www.jerseyspe...scension_Island

http://www.thewaterm...r-jurassic-park

http://worldwideangl...s-wild-frontier

#96 mickyspec

mickyspec
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi kilsong
just wondering if theres any update on whether the harmattan will be in ascension for a longer duration in 2013
I too would be up for a visit there but i would be gutted if i could only fish during the evenings only

thanks
mike

#97 Eran-fish

Eran-fish
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

extreme destination to my next year trip.
thanx for the info guys :thumbsu:

#98 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on Ascension.  Fishings hot at the moment both inshore & offshore, a 1320 Blue Marlin (link below) was caught this week. Lots of nice YFT & Bigeye are also being taken.  Good news is Harmattan, the only sport boat down there, is now running all year round & doing inshore/jigging trips at a greatly reduced price to the offshore trips.  The pound is down against dollar at the moment so booking through the English co-owner Phil Riley would also make the boat even cheaper.  If anyone wants to contact Phil you can get him at  admin@fivestartravel.co.uk  for more info check out Facebook site: https://www.facebook...2822975?fref=ts

Happy jigging,

Tim

http://www.grindtv.c...g biggest ever/

#99 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

I was planning to go to Ascension Island in July this year, but I must postpone the trip next year because I have too many trips this year.
I think I have enough guys to make the trip.
Basil of BHP Tackle just returned from Ascension Island and he fished with The Hamarttan for 5 days. The said the trip was the best he ever had.
I have a trip to Alasak in late June. If the trip doesn't happen, I might go to Ascension Island instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users