Jig N Pop in Ascension Island

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

I met Eric in Bermuda who fished Ascension Island.
His fishing stories in Ascension Island are just unbelievable. My friend Nicola in Spain went to Ascension Island a couple of times for jigging and popping and I tried to fish there. But I couldn't make a trip to the Island for various reasons.
Now I am determined to visit the Island before it is too late.
I am going to get more detailed info about the trip.

http://www.ascension...lights-info.htm

#2 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi Kil,
Ascension is on my list, tried to go last year but dates did not work out for me. I have done a lot of research on this and am ready whenever you are as long as it is not during hurricane season. I have heard of incredible inshore tuna fishing. Let me know what you find out.
David

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hi Kil,
Ascension is on my list, tried to go last year but dates did not work out for me. I have done a lot of research on this and am ready whenever you are as long as it is not during hurricane season. I have heard of incredible inshore tuna fishing. Let me know what you find out.
David

David,
I am going to work on it.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Nicola's report

http://nicolazingare...r-disaster.html

spearfishing pictures and article in Ascension Island

http://www.jerseyspe...scension_Island

http://www.thewaterm...r-jurassic-park

http://worldwideangl...s-wild-frontier

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

I read fishing reports in Ascension Island.
It seems like a jigging paradise.

It is impossible to fish a day without catching something. Jacks, Tuna, Wahoo, there is plenty to catch , not only Marlin. In 2006 we did 5 days of 8 hour jigging in a row and caught around 8000 KG of fish during these days. And this is normal.

Also the shore fishing is great with garantee on black jacks. If you are there on the right time yo can catch Amberjacks, Mahis and even Yellowfintuna from the beach.

#6 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Kil
I contacted the captain of the only charter boat in ascension which is a 36 rampage, the harmattan.They have stellas and some jigging rods on the boat.If you go to atlanticfishingcharter.com you can find the info.Contact capt. Matthias Henningsen and he can give you all the info you need.
If you go to Marlin-web.com you will find fishing reports from capt. Olaf from the last 8 years.Olaf runs the harmattan for Matthias.

jason

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Kil
I contacted the captain of the only charter boat in ascension which is a 36 rampage, the harmattan.They have stellas and some jigging rods on the boat.If you go to atlanticfishingcharter.com you can find the info.Contact capt. Matthias Henningsen and he can give you all the info you need.
If you go to Marlin-web.com you will find fishing reports from capt. Olaf from the last 8 years.Olaf runs the harmattan for Matthias.

jason

Jason,
I got an email from Nicola. He fished with the Harmattan twice.
When I sent a local agency in Ascension Island, they said there is no charter boat on the Island now. I'll check whether the Harmattan is still running in Ascension Island or not.

#8 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Jason,
I got an email from Nicola. He fished with the Harmattan twice.
When I sent a local agency in Ascension Island, they said there is no charter boat on the Island now. I'll check whether the Harmattan is still running in Ascension Island or not.

I spoke with Olaf last night, he fished January and february in ascension this year. They do charters seasonal, so what they meant is that the boat isn't running at this time of the year.Matthias has the flight info and one hotel that they have there on his site.
I can contact him if you like.

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

I spoke with Olaf last night, he fished January and february in ascension this year. They do charters seasonal, so what they meant is that the boat isn't running at this time of the year.Matthias has the flight info and one hotel that they have there on his site.
I can contact him if you like.

If you can contact Olaf, ask him when is the best time for tuna.
Some said tuna are abundant in the harbor and don't have to go offshore.
I also read that the charter boat is booked way in advance. so ask him how early we have to book the boat during prime tuna season. ( Marlin is not our priority.).

#10 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

If you can contact Olaf, ask him when is the best time for tuna.
Some said tuna are abundant in the harbor and don't have to go offshore.
I also read that the charter boat is booked way in advance. so ask him how early we have to book the boat during prime tuna season. ( Marlin is not our priority.).

I'll check on that, I know that they are only there for 2-3 month's and that is usually booked by people in search of world record sized blue marlin.So it may be difficult to get the boat for a week to only fish for tuna but i'm only guessing here, maybe they will do it.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

The other option is to fish on a local boat. As you see the boats in Ascension Island on Youtube, it is like a panga in Mexico.

This picture by Nicola shows how close they fished for jigging and popping.
The primary target of the trip will be tuna, wahoo, AJ and black jack on jigs and poppers.

Posted Image

#12 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

I have some good news Kil, Matthias said he does do some jigging trips and he is checking his schedule for openings. He said it doesn't matter what month you come because it is a year around fishery.As soon as he lets me know the dates I will let you know.

Edited by Notorious, 11 May 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

I have some good news Kil, Matthias said he does do some jigging trips and he is checking his schedule for openings. He said it doesn't matter what month you come because it is a year around fishery.As soon as he lets me know the dates I will let you know.
I wouldn't advise fishing on the tiny pangas because of sometimes rough weather and that's a long way to go to be land locked.

That is great, Jason.
When we fish offshore, we definitely bigger boat. I guess Matthias is the only Capt there.
I am thinking about fishing in the harbor at night. A panga boat should be OK fishing in the harbor. I heard they rarely venture out past one miles as they don't have to, to catch tuna.

#14 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi,
After your email I found this thread about Ascension:) Harmattan is a great fishing platform for sure & Olaf the skipper is a great guy who works real hard for his anglers. The operation often puts down a mooring in about 120m of water that is used mostly at night for targeting a wide range of species from monster sharks to Swordfish. It is at the leeward side and can be fished at nearly every occasion. Jigging here can be great sport with YFT, Wahoo etc around in numbers. A deeper drop here brings Deep water-Bullseyes but the fun is getting them past the Oilfish which when hooked are real battlers. Swords are caught here & I have had a couple myself, not many places you can catch a Sword at anchor. (I have also had Blue Marlin & Sailfish on bait from this mark plus a Albercore of over 70lbs!) The local boats are worth a trip in an evening & at around $150 for 4 hours are great value. There is no hurricane season and no milaria etc US $ are accepted at a number of establishments as there is a USAF base on island. I am at work at moment but will post some pictures tomorrow.
Tight Lines,
Tim

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Tim,
Welcome aboard. :thumbsu:
Your input is very valuable and informative because you lived and fished there so many years.
Based on your emails, it looks tuna fishing close to shore or harbor is the best during the fry runs in Jun, July and Aug.
But I am wondering Matthias/Olaf still fish in July/Aug as I read they usually stop fishing by April. Based on the reports I got, the night fishing is fantastic close to the Island.
Sword fishing at anchor ? I think I am the only fisherman I know who caught two swordfish on jig on a single night. :)
And Oil fish ? I got to go. I never caught an oil fish on jigs before. I might jig all night non-stop for oil fish if I can find a boat. :)

#16 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yes the boat season normally runs a few months before & after Christmas but they have gone down & fished a couple of weeks end of Jun start of Jul at request of someone that wanted to fish the 04 Jul Marlin World Cup. (the angler Denis Froud caught a 3 kinds of billfish that day the biggest being a 1043lb Blue Marlin) The anglers also caught several 200lb + YFT on that trip. Only Matthais can answer if they can fish that time of year but never say never as if anyone else was interested in fishing around then it might be worth them going down. Yes Swords at anchor, the mooring is on the edge of a deepwater drop-off at the head of a valley and allsorts of monsters swim there at night. Two swords on jig on a single night, I think that record will stand for a very long time :)
Oilfish are easy, once it's dark drop a multi hook rig (5 or 6 baited circle hooks with a 10mm lumi bead on each)down to the bottom on conventional gear. Let it full with Bulls-eyes then reel in, repeat this until they get grabbed off in mid water - your Oilfish now awaits your jig:) Sometimes they will be there with the first string sometimes it might take a few drops, but not to worry as Deepwater Bulls-eye are just the best eating & the locals will queue at the pier to relieve you of any spare ones:) This method of brining the attention of oilfish also stirs up interest of any other predators in the area & is a method that has worked very well for me. If you let out a rope on the surface to move the boat into deeper water (150m plus) you will find Deepwater Grouper (orange & tastey) replace the Bullseyes. I have spent many nights fishing this mark & can say out of the 20 plus countries I have fished nowhere has yet come close to the fun I have had here. There are some monster sharks (Tiger, Dusky & deepdown sixgills) at this location but this is not normal a problem unless you chum heavily.
More to follow.
Tightlines,
Tim

#17 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Kil, Lets go asap!

#18 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Kil, Lets go asap!

David, I was thinking about going next year, but I can't wait that long. :)
I'll talk with Shin on Friday when I meet him in Korea. He wanted to join the trip.

#19 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

David, I was thinking about going next year, but I can't wait that long. :)
I'll talk with Shin on Friday when I meet him in Korea. He wanted to join the trip.

Good luck Kil, sounds like you have everything taken care of

#20 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

Good luck Kil, sounds like you have everything taken care of

Before I go to Ascension Island, I like to go back to Bermuda for marlin and tuna fishing. I want to test Black Hole jigging rods for marlin. :)

#21 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

Before I go to Ascension Island, I like to go back to Bermuda for marlin and tuna fishing. I want to test Black Hole jigging rods for marlin. :)

An 800lb marlin was caught and released 3 days ago. Another boat caught 15 wahoo's average fish being 40lbs and the tunas are still in the same area as when you were here.I'll let you know when the big fish show up!!
I want to get to Ascension as well some day but I can't resist fishing for 1000lb+ marlin when there!
The Hooker raised 6 marlin over 1000lbs in one day in Ascension!! On that same trip they were hooking into 200-250lb tunas on marlin lures!
You guys should have a great trip, I can't wait to hear the stories when you return.

Edited by Notorious, 11 May 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#22 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

I will contact some of my friends on Island & find out what boats are available if you decide to go & Harmattan is not available. I must mention that there is some very good shore popping/jigging from the shore at the back (East Coast) of the island. This is also not dependent on the fry being in as you can cast a jig into over 100m of water. I have had some great fish from this mark. Knowing how seats on flights can be I would suggest that a visit next year would be the way to go. This would also allow time to see it Harmattan could be made available & sort local boats. I'm posting a few pictures below to wet your appetite :)

Attached File  AJ.jpg   26.72KB   4 downloads

130lb AJ caught on Harmattan

Attached File  Oilfish 2.jpg   42.39KB   0 downloads

100lb Oilfish caught on the deepwater Mooring

Attached File  Albi.jpg   31.82KB   1 downloads

Nice Yellowfin on SHY III before she was dropped off the crane:(

Attached File  Olaf.jpg   28.25KB   0 downloads

Capt Olaf with some nice YFT

Attached File  night tuna.jpg   56.43KB   0 downloads

Me with a YFT from deepwater Mooring

Attached File  bigeye harmattan.jpg   50.63KB   0 downloads

BET on Harrmattan.

Attached File  wahoo.jpg   37.11KB   2 downloads

Fifteen 50lb Wahoo taken on a 4 hour trip with local.

Attached File  Blackjacks.jpg   44.43KB   0 downloads

Blackjacks 2 at a time

Attached File  tuna dorado.jpg   44.68KB   0 downloads

YFT & Dorado on SHY III.

Attached File  Rain (3).jpg   94.06KB   4 downloads

It rains on Ascension but only Yellowfin :)

#23 Dansar

Dansar
  • Moderators
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

Hi,

I will contact some of my friends on Island & find out what boats are available if you decide to go & Harmattan is not available. I must mention that there is some very good shore popping/jigging from the shore at the back (East Coast) of the island. This is also not dependent on the fry being in as you can cast a jig into over 100m of water. I have had some great fish from this mark. Knowing how seats on flights can be I would suggest that a visit next year would be the way to go. This would also allow time to see it Harmattan could be made available & sort local boats. I'm posting a few pictures below to wet your appetite :)

Attached File  AJ.jpg   26.72KB   4 downloads

130lb AJ caught on Harmattan

Attached File  Oilfish 2.jpg   42.39KB   0 downloads

100lb Oilfish caught on the deepwater Mooring

Attached File  Albi.jpg   31.82KB   1 downloads

Nice Yellowfin on SHY III before she was dropped off the crane:(

Attached File  Olaf.jpg   28.25KB   0 downloads

Capt Olaf with some nice YFT

Attached File  night tuna.jpg   56.43KB   0 downloads

Me with a YFT from deepwater Mooring

Attached File  bigeye harmattan.jpg   50.63KB   0 downloads

BET on Harrmattan.

Attached File  wahoo.jpg   37.11KB   2 downloads

Fifteen 50lb Wahoo taken on a 4 hour trip with local.

Attached File  Blackjacks.jpg   44.43KB   0 downloads

Blackjacks 2 at a time

Attached File  tuna dorado.jpg   44.68KB   0 downloads

YFT & Dorado on SHY III.

Attached File  Rain (3).jpg   94.06KB   4 downloads

It rains on Ascension but only Yellowfin :)

Wow those are some huge Yellowfins, looks like a fishing paradise!!!

#24 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hi Dansar,

It's a special placed to fish for sure.
Most species grow real big at Ascension & that chance of catching a real beast makes it so good.
When the fry are in, the shore comes alive and your problem becomes trying to cast a lure without catching a Jack!

Tim :)

Edited by TJ Hook, 11 May 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#25 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

The problem is how I can wait until next year.:)

#26 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Good things come to those who wait :)

Edited by TJ Hook, 11 May 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#27 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi Tim
I came across your facebook page and viewed your photos. It looks like you spent many days on the water down there. It must me hard to fish anywhere else after your experiences in ascension!
Thanks for sharing the photo's, what an amazing place. I hadn't heard of ascension until the 1337 was caught, biggest atlantic blue since the 1352 caught here in 1995 I believe.
Are marlin caught all year around down there? How about granders, is there a certain time when they tend to show up more?
Thanks,
Jason.

#28 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

Hi Jason,
Pleased you enjoyed the photo's, Ascension Island is a special place and many who visit get the bug & need to return. For me it has involved 53 return flights, adding up to 477,000 miles of flying. Worth every single mile though & I would not hesitate to do it all over if I could :)
I have chased fish all over the world in 20+ countries but to be honest there is nowhere that ever really compares. Next week it's the Cuban Cayo's for a couple of weeks of Jigging & Popping but no doubt my mind will wander back to Ascension.
Your question is easy to answer in that yes Marlin are there year round and in fact you will also see Granders in any month of the year. The Yellowfin and skippies are there all the time so no doubt that is why the Blues are there too.
Now there is a second answer when's the best time for granders? Now this one is more difficult:
The sport boats started fishing in 2002, Harmattan & SHY III came over from Ghana in Jun and fished an exploratory week & caught some nice Blues to about 800 including 1 double header of big fish. That suggests Jun is good month for big fish I would say.
2 or 3 months later Trevor Cockle turned up with Gods Will & Gods Favour (renamed Madame + Hooker) and caught a few big fish including the 1337. So now Sep & Oct are now on the list.
SHY III & Harmattan have caught granders in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb, so we need to add those to list.
Roddy Hayes ran the Harmattan in Apr & saw 3 Granders in 1 day including the biggest of his life. (Trevor Cockle also said he has seen the biggest fish of his life at Ascension)
Denis Froud fished Harmattan in the 04 Jul Marlin World Cup at Ascension & caught a fish 5 mins after time up that weighed in at 1043lb when weighed some 18 hours after capture.
I think you will see from above that the big girls are there year round. The time not to fish for them probably is Mar/Apr/May as this is when there seems to be lots of smaller males (250lb class) about too.
The Charter operations will probably say Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb for big fish......this is true but they have never really fished Jun/Jul/Aug apart from the first exploratory week & 2 weeks the year Denis Froud fished the 4th Jul World Cup.
If you asked me when I would fish for a grander, I would say when the Tuna are normally thickest......Jun/Jul/Aug.
My good friend Denis sadly passed earlier this year, he was an accomplished angler holding a number of World Records & successfully completed the triple royal slam for offshore fish species; billfish, tuna, and shark.
Denis had faith and rolled the dice to fish Ascension "out of season" and although he didn't win the 4th of Jul World Cup he did catch a Grander slam that day which made him a very happy man :)

Attached Files

#29 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hi Tim,
your information tells me to fish Ascension Island in June/July/Aug. Thanks for the info.
As we attend ICAST show in mid July and I might join the exploratory trip in remote destinations in Asia in June next year, the probable dates are from late July to mid Aug.

I like to fish on the Harmattan a few days and fish on local boats for inshore fishing a few days. I contacted a local boat and the boat looks available.

Tim/Jason,
can you find out whether the Harmatttan is available in late July, 2013 ?

#30 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hi,
Pleased things are coming togther for your trip. I am not sure which local boat you have contacted but it is worth mentioning the Ascension Goverment have a suitable boat called the Wideawake. Harmattan would be the best but the Wideawake is capable of fishing the windward side of the island where some of the best reef marks are. It was used last year when filming an episode of the UK fishing series "Extreme fishing". Not sure what the cost would be but give you an option to fish if Harmattan is not available. (Which I think will be the case as owners/crew fish Cape Verde/Azores/Canaries at that time of year.)

Tim

#31 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the info Tim. Sounds like they could use another suitable boat down there. With the amount of charters those guys do in Cape Verde it seems hard to imagine that a place like Ascension couldn't have a full time operation. You could alternate crews every 2-3 months to run the boat.
What is the furthest that you would venture offshore? every photo and video that i've seen looks real close to the island.

#32 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Tim,
Lisa of Obsidian Hotel gave me contacting info of a local boat.
His name is Patrick.
I'll follow your advice.

#33 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Tim,
His name is Patrick.
I'll follow your advice.

Kil, for the type of fishing that you will be doing it makes sense to use a local boat. it is highly unlikely that harmattan will be operating that time of year.
I wonder how many anglers the local boats will fit to fish comfortably? That is why I originally recommended Harmattan but it seems like you really want to fish in July.
all of the photo's that you see from Eric and Olaf holding up tuna's were caught in fall or winter month's to my knowledge. I think Tim will confirm.

Edited by Notorious, 13 May 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#34 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Kil, please dont schedule trip around July 4th week. I have to be at work always during holiday weeks. 2013 is good for scheduling trip.

#35 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Kil, for the type of fishing that you will be doing it makes sense to use a local boat. it is highly unlikely that harmattan will be operating that time of year.
I wonder how many anglers the local boats will fit to fish comfortably? That is why I originally recommended Harmattan but it seems like you really want to fish in July.
all of the photo's that you see from Eric and Olaf holding up tuna's were caught in fall or winter month's to my knowledge. I think Tim will confirm.

He said the boat can take upto 4 fishermen.
Tuna are there year round, but tuna get close to shore during June, July and Aug. So it is logical to fish June, July and Aug.

I plan to fish with four fishermen when we can fish on the Harmattan, but I can go alone or with one more fishermen if we only fish on a local boat or from the shore.

When you say fall or winter, it is confusing. :)

#36 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Kil, please dont schedule trip around July 4th week. I have to be at work always during holiday weeks. 2013 is good for scheduling trip.

David, we have ICAST Show around 10th of July in 2013 and I might have a GT/dogtooth trip in June. That is why I plan to go late July.

#37 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

Tim,
His name is Patrick.
I'll follow your advice.

I am sure this will be Patrick "Kimbo" Anthony, if it is, you have got the right man for the job. I have fished many times with Kimbo, he knows the local waters very well & can handle big fish boatside with no problems. I would think the boat will be Lady Shy, it is an old converted lifeboat that is slow but handles the sea well. (I will try & contact Kimbo and have a chat) I would suggest taking a GPS with the location of the steep drop-offs/pinicals etc programmed in as the locals normal methods of fishing are troll & bait at anchor. (I can email scan of charts to you no problem, the seabed is very impressive!) If you want to target the oilfish at night tell him you want fish at "The Pipeline" mark. This mark is your best nightime location for a wide range of species. (Don't drop a bait down to the bottom though as I don't think you would want a 1000lb plus Six-gill on your jigging rod!) I will let you know the other marks I would fish via email ;)

#38 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

He said the boat can take upto 4 fishermen.
Tuna are around, but tuna get close to shore during June, July and Aug. So it is logical to fish June, July and Aug.

I plan to fish with four fishermen when we can fish on the Harmattan, but I can go alone or with one more fishermen if we only fish on a local boat or from the shore.

When you say fall or winter, it is confusing. :)

Hi Jason,

Yes the YFT in most of the pictures where mostly caught Nov through Apr on the sport boats. The YFT/Marlin are there year round but Kil asked about the best time when they are in close/shallow water in numbers. Year to year does vary when the fry arrives but I have found that normally Jun onwards the shore/inshore fishing is at it's height. For several years I would always go down the first 2 weeks in Jun to fish only from the shore/inshore and only 1 year had the fry not yet appeared. I still caught Jacks/Dorado from the shore & YFT etc inshore but there weren't the fish boiling on fry.
When the sport boats first came over from Ghana in Jun 2002 the owners/friends/press could not believe that you could catch Tuna/Dorado/Rainbow Runners etc from the beach next to the Hotel. There is lady Luck to contend with & I'm sure Kil is not expecting to catch a YFT from shore but the best chance to do it & see the best inshore fishing is IMHO that time of year.

Tim

#39 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hi Jason,

Yes the YFT in most of the pictures where mostly caught Nov through Apr on the sport boats. The YFT/Marlin are there year round but Kil asked about the best time when they are in close/shallow water in numbers. Year to year does vary when the fry arrives but I have found that normally Jun onwards the shore/inshore fishing is at it's height. For several years I would always go down the first 2 weeks in Jun to fish only from the shore/inshore and only 1 year had the fry not yet appeared. I still caught Jacks/Dorado from the shore & YFT etc inshore but there weren't the fish boiling on fry.
When the sport boats first came over from Ghana in Jun 2002 the owners/friends/press could not believe that you could catch Tuna/Dorado/Rainbow Runners etc from the beach next to the Hotel. There is lady Luck to contend with & I'm sure Kil is not expecting to catch a YFT from shore but the best chance to do it & see the best inshore fishing is IMHO that time of year.

Tim

Hi Tim
Okay, I understand what you are saying.Fishing that is that good from the shore would be amazing. I can understand why Kil would want to go that time of year.

#40 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the info Tim. Sounds like they could use another suitable boat down there. With the amount of charters those guys do in Cape Verde it seems hard to imagine that a place like Ascension couldn't have a full time operation. You could alternate crews every 2-3 months to run the boat.
What is the furthest that you would venture offshore? every photo and video that i've seen looks real close to the island.

Jason,
I think the logistics of running a year round operation at Ascension would be hard. One of the main problems is getting your customers there, there's only so may seats on each plane for civilians (which need ooking well in advance) then the cost of the flight does put a lot of people off. Sometimes you just can't get your customers there & boat/crew sat doing nothing is poor. Also if anything goes wrong it can take several days to sort out as the flights with spare parts are only every 4/5 days.
The fishery itself is 100% year round & I myself was going to set up a full time smaller boat (30 footer) operation a few years ago but the Government would not allow any new boats :( It's a difficult one for sure & I know something that has proved very annoying for the owners of the boats that have operated there.
Your question about how far off shore would I venture, the truth is the fish tend to be nearer the island & upwelling rather then out in deep water over the abyssal plain. The is an excellent area to the SW about 8 miles offshore where some peakes come up from 1000's of metres to about 160m from the surface. Otherwise the fish tend to be closer in, food + structure no doubt is why they are there :)
SHY III did once venture 145nm SE of Ascension to fish the Grattan Seamount..........but that's a whole other story on it's own :)

http://img.photobuck...JHOOK/azi3d.jpg

Map showing SW Peakes.

#41 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for that map Tim. I tend to look on google earth at times, I see a bank 7.5 miles to the south,south east is that accurate?
It's too bad they wouldn't allow you to have a boat there. Ascension is a perfect place to fish the world cup. Being the only boat instead of fishing next to 50 other boats would be a dream!

#42 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for that map Tim. I tend to look on google earth at times, I see a bank 7.5 miles to the south,south east is that accurate?
It's too bad they wouldn't allow you to have a boat there. Ascension is a perfect place to fish the world cup. Being the only boat instead of fishing next to 50 other boats would be a dream!

Jason,
Yes there is an area to the South, at that distance. It does not seem to create the same kind of upwelling as the shallow area that comes up to 160m to the SW. This area has been very productive for big fish. There is also a shallow area which runs out from the island to the NW (off English Bay); this has been the most productive area for me.
The only year that the 4th Jul has been fished produced the 1045 lb fish for Denis just after bell. The winner that year was the 1189 lb fish on Tripleplay from Bermuda, so it would have not have taken the cash anyway. I would say though the 4th Jul has only been fished at Ascension on that 1 occasion & it throw up a grander. I wonder if it was fished every year by a couple of boats the winner would have come from there?

Kil,

Sorry if we have wandered off subject a bit here!

Edited by TJ Hook, 15 May 2012 - 04:01 AM.

#43 peterk814

peterk814
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hey Kil-

Consider me in for this trip once you nail down the dates. =)

#44 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Jason,
Yes there is an area to the South, at that distance. It does not seem to create the same kind of upwelling as the shallow area that comes up to 160m to the SW. This area has been very productive for big fish. There is also a shallow area which runs out from the island to the NW (off English Bay); this has been the most productive area for me.
The only year that the 4th Jul has been fished produced the 1045 lb fish for Denis just after bell. The winner that year was the 1189 lb fish on Tripleplay from Bermuda, so it would have not have taken the cash anyway. I would say though the 4th Jul has only been fished at Ascension on that 1 occasion & it throw up a grander. I wonder if it was fished every year by a couple of boats the winner would have come from there?

Kil,

Sorry if we have wandered off subject a bit here!

Tim
I remember that day very well, Andrew caught the 1189 in the last hour.He called in an estimate of 800-850 on the radio!
yeah, I jumped off of the orginal topic a bit but I think that your info will encourage even more interest in Kil's trip.
I'd love to go myself but Harmattan would have to be there operating at the time. That world record blue marlin is swimming around and Ascension like Bermuda has a great shot at it. It seems to me that you can get a full day in offshore and have plenty of time to jig and pop inshore in the evenings. The best of both worlds, especially with that mooring that you talked about.
I have a story for you of a fish that we hooked into in 2010 when I fished with Ben Smith who is in one of your photo's on your FB page on the Wild Hooker. I'll pm you the story, don't want to really get off the topic :D

#45 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

As long as we are talking about fishing, it never be off subject. :)
I love to catch marlin. I plan to visit Bermuda again mainly for marlin fishing with light tackle. We landed 1000 lb giant with 11 oz 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rod and I'd like to land a 1000 lb blue marlin with the same rod in Bermuda. :)

Oilfish becomes a major target in Ascension Island because I never fished oilfish before.

#46 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

I love to catch marlin. I plan to visit Bermuda again mainly for marlin fishing with light tackle. We landed 1000 lb giant with 11 oz 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rod and I'd like to land a 1000 lb blue marlin with the same rod in Bermuda. :)

Oilfish becomes a major target in Ascension Island because I never fished oilfish before.

Kil, I forgot to tell you that we have lots of oilfish here as well.whenever we fish for swordfish at night all we get is oilfish, big ones as well. No one targets them here. I need to catch a sword while you catch an oilfish :D
I have two PE-8's with 550gram jigging rods and a dogfight with 550gram rod for pitchbaiting to marlin.Some fish that you see here you may not want to hook on jigging gear :startle: !most of them however won't be a problem.

#47 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Tim
I remember that day very well, Andrew caught the 1189 in the last hour.He called in an estimate of 800-850 on the radio!
yeah, I jumped off of the orginal topic a bit but I think that your info will encourage even more interest in Kil's trip.
I'd love to go myself but Harmattan would have to be there operating at the time. That world record blue marlin is swimming around and Ascension like Bermuda has a great shot at it. It seems to me that you can get a full day in offshore and have plenty of time to jig and pop inshore in the evenings. The best of both worlds, especially with that mooring that you talked about.
I have a story for you of a fish that we hooked into in 2010 when I fished with Ben Smith who is in one of your photo's on your FB page on the Wild Hooker. I'll pm you the story, don't want to really get off the topic :D

I think we both wandered a bit but thats what happens when you get 2 guys talking about fishing :) Bermuda or Azores would be my choices after Ascension for the 4th Jul. I don't know much about the Bermuda fishery but you fish offshore on Banks most of the time? How long a run to the grounds? I look forward to reading story ref Ben Smith. Below is the story of the trip to the Grattan Sea Mount from Ascension, I'm sure it will be of interest to any angler :) Bet the jigging would be good there too :)

The Grattan Seamount was 145 nm to the SE of Ascension Island. Martin (Marty Bates, Deck Hand) and Christian (Angler) were very keen to go so I gave Dieter (Owner of boat) a call to ask permission to go as it is not normal to wizz off a few hundred km into the middle of the atlantic. The boss agreed with caution to be careful so we filled SHY up with food and fuel and left Ascension at 1030 h on Wednesday 29 Dec.

There was about 10 kts off wind on the nose with a small chop, our speed was about 7 kts expect to arrive on the bank next morning.
We arrived on the bank at 0730h and stopped to do an engine room check and have breakfast. We started trolling at 0800 h.

0825h pulled hooks on a 500 to 600lb Blue Marlin
0835h caught small yellowfin
0850h raised a small billfish but no bite
0905h pulled hooks on a 350 Blue Marlin
0945h bite small billfish
1030h caught another yellowfin
1100h pulled hooks maybe tuna
1245h got covered in wahoo biten off the swievels
1300h stopped to fix the wahoo damage and dropped bait to the bottom
and caught grouper, bullseye and small sharks.
1400h caught Yellowfin 170 lb
1415h caught Yellowfin 100 lb
1430h pulled hooks tuna
1445h caught Blue Marlin 300
1600h mystery bite on stinger
1645h mystery bite stinger again

It was getting dark so stopped to do engine room check and set up for drift. We did 3 drifts across different parts of the bank and even managed to catch squid and rig it live. We caught an oilfish, black jacks and 2 small sharks. At sunrise we started trolling again.

0745h cauht wahoo
0830h caught Blue Marlin 400 lb
1045h caught a Blue Marlin well over 1000 lb. Fight lasted about 1 hour and was close to the boat for most of the fight. Martin had it on the leader at least 6 times. We had the gaffs ready but dident want any accidents-espesially the fish sticking its bill into the hull. Without a gaffman I would have to leave the controls.we had the fish at the side of the boat twice and the second time I was on my way down when the fish did a nasty and the 900 lb leader broke on the hull.maybe just as well as it was still strong and made us all wet on the deck when it left.
We departured from the bank at 1430 and had a bite from a spearfish in the deep off the bank. the wind had dropped to 5 kts with a calm sea. The troll home was calm and uneventfull.
we arrived next morning 0830h 31 December.
It was agreat trip and love to fish there every day but its to far . It was a great adventure and I imagine it is the first time a sport boat has ever been there.

Capt Ian Carter

SHY III

#48 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

The oilfish go to about 140lbs & 100lb + fish are not uncommon. They fight well & go loco when they get near the boat, locals call them Night Barracuda. Think by the sound of it you might have to get a 1000lb Six-Gill on the Black Hole Cape Special too. The record from bait hitting bottom to hook-up is 28 seconds!
First man to catch 3 species over 1000lbs on a jigging rod sounds good to me :)

#49 TJ Hook

TJ Hook
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Kil, I forgot to tell you that we have lots of oilfish here as well.whenever we fish for swordfish at night all we get is oilfish, big ones as well. No one targets them here. I need to catch a sword while you catch an oilfish :D
I have two PE-8's with 550gram jigging rods and a dogfight with 550gram rod for pitchbaiting to marlin.Some fish that you see here you may not want to hook on jigging gear :startle: !most of them however won't be a problem.

Don't think I know of anywhere other then the Canaries where oilfish are targeted/on the menu. They eat fresh Oilfish there but by all accounts it is about the best laxative ever! I've cut one open for a look & no way was I going to eat anything that looks like it's full of used engine oil! As you will know the skin is covered in sharp hook scales, defo one for the baseball bat before it comes over the gunnel!

#50 Notorious

Notorious
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Tim
You don't have to fish the banks for marlin in the summer.The edge drops off only 1.5 miles offshore on our south shore. I have some photo's of Rene's and Frankie's(frankie from ghana) 1005 jumping right around that distance out.I'm still trying to figure out how to upload photos on here.
That is some spectacular fishing on that seamount on shy III. Surprised those guys didn't take the wild hooker over there? That would be a great trip if you had two boats to go just in case anything went wrong.

Kil
You can test your blackhole on a 1000lb tiger shark here as well. they hang right up on the SE corner where you saw the marlin last month. I caught one about 1100lbs 10 years ago near the tower on stand up gear in about 45 minutes. They are plentiful in the summer. You have very high odds of catching one on a jigging rod.

Kil, I know this is the wrong forum but boats here are getting 20-35 bites on wahoo's on the edge right now(fish up to 85 lbs).I need to put an update in the Bermuda forum! Danny is in Cabo fishing the world championships this week.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users