Jerry Brown coming with Spliceable 40 pound spectra

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I just heard from Ben Frazier who let me know J.B. is coming out shortly with a fully splice-able 40 pound hollow Spectra. I called over to J.B. and found that is exactly what is happening. I will be getting some sample material to experiment with but this is giant news. Now standard reels which previously required the use of 60 pound to get a hollow product can increase the capacity using a 40 pound hollow product. This is not only great news for long range but all aspects of fishing as well where line capacity is an issue along with the desire of the angler to use knot-less connections. Additionally, I am told, the angler can insert up to 60 pound mono and flouro into the material for top shots and wind ones but we will have to see how big one can go in this regard. None the less I will assume we will now be able to make top shots and windons in even smaller diameter and smaller line tests than we can now. It sounds like this product should be available within a few weeks. WOW!!!! those of us using smaller and smaller reels and lighter and lighter top shots will be super excited about this event. For me this is going to change even my fly fishing backing since I went to hollow backing and knot-less tippets some time ago.... Very, very successfully. I am totally stoked.

Jamie

#2 hmoob

hmoob
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Jamie,

Have you tested this line yet? I'm curious if it can be splice with 40lb mono. I have 60lb hollow and it's difficult even trying to insert 50lb mono in to the core. What's the stretched diameter equivalent to? Please let me know.

#3 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Jamie,

Have you tested this line yet? I'm curious if it can be splice with 40lb mono. I have 60lb hollow and it's difficult even trying to insert 50lb mono in to the core. What's the stretched diameter equivalent to? Please let me know.

Yes, No problem putting 40 into 40. Thus stuff opens up and splices really well. As we speak I have another angler playing with it to get more input on the subject.
My bigger question is how small can I go. Not sure yet.

jamie

#4 capecodtuna

capecodtuna
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Yes, No problem putting 40 into 40. Thus stuff opens up and splices really well. As we speak I have another angler playing with it to get more input on the subject.
My bigger question is how small can I go. Not sure yet.

jamie

Tried to splice the new JB hollow 40lb, but felt it is too hard. I had no problem with the 60lb. Still trying to learn how to do this.

#5 hmoob

hmoob
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

I went to Melton Tackle yesterday and saw that they have the 40lb Hollow on the shelf. The spools were labeled UNSPLICEABLE, I didn't bother to ask them why. So I went back to CharkBait and picked up a spool of 60lb hollow, I will stick to solid braids for all my lighter set-ups.

#6 capecodtuna

capecodtuna
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

I tried all kinds of tricks people talked about. Wire, guitar string etc to "open it up".. no luck. I had no problem with JB 60lb though. I wonder maybe the one I have happens to be one of the "nonsplicable" spools.

Edited by capecodtuna, 17 September 2012 - 10:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users