Stella or Dogfight

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Please bear with me. I'm new to forum. Looking to purchase a new surf spinning reel for fishing in Cabo mexico off the beach. This is hard core long casting plugs 2-5 OZ as far as you can throw them. Then reel them back as fast as you can reel. Have done alot of research on reels, and It comes down to the Shimano Stella 18000 or Diawa Dog fight. Would love to hear the good and bad on both reels. Would really like to hear from the gentlemen who reviews the reels on these blogs, as he completely tears the reels down to there guts and gives all the good and bad. Read his review on the Stella, but have not seen one on the Dogfight. So I was hoping to get the feedback from the masses on this blg. thanks in advance for the comments. Regards Don

#2 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

Would really like to hear from the gentlemen who reviews the reels on these blogs, as he completely tears the reels down to there guts and gives all the good and bad.

I've heard of that loser before, but I wouldn't trust anything he says as he seems to be completely delusional! :blink:

The Dogfight was discontinued and the last one left the production line in November 2010. This means that getting parts and service for them is most likely to become harder and slower as time goes, and I think this is something that needs to be taken in consideration before making a $1000 investment in one. So between the two reels you've mentioned, I'd get the 18K.

#3 Fabio

Fabio
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

I have the stella 10000 to used in Panama and i used too one saltiga
The parture of line of stella is better than saltiga and the 10000 whith 25 kg the drag is enough for any fishes

#4 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Get the Stella you wont be disappointed,they are incredible reels and worth every penny

#5 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

[Alan Yes you were the man that I was looking for a response from. When you tear down a reel you really do it up right. Thank you for the information. Sounds like a cut and dry answer. If you could get parts would the stella be your choice of reels. Thanks again for responding, you do a great job, if I need any info on a reel I will certainly look up your reviews. thanks Again. Regards Don quote name='Alan Hawk' timestamp='1335785180' post='3125']
I've heard of that loser before, but I wouldn't trust anything he says as he seems to be completely delusional! :blink:

The Dogfight was discontinued and the last one left the production line in November 2010. This means that getting parts and service for them is most likely to become harder and slower as time goes, and I think this is something that needs to be taken in consideration before making a $1000 investment in one. So between the two reels you've mentioned, I'd get the 18K.
[/quote]

#6 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the kind words Don, much appreciated :)

If you could get parts of the Dogfight I'd still choose the Stella over it, more so in your case as you need a reel that casts far and the SW outcasts the Dogfight by a good 10-15% margin as per my own tests.

#7 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Alan thanks for the information. If you don't mind, what do you think of this reel,It is not the $1,000 Stella, but at 1/5 the price it has a quick retreve and seem to be built pretty tough. Your thoughts would be much appriciated. Regards Don Saltist®
As the Saltist name implies, these reels were designed for all-out serious saltwater fishing. And that means simple, straight forward mechanisms that can withstand the punishment and still work flawlessly, time after time. Like a manual bail trip for fewer moving parts—greater strength and reliability. Even a dual, full-time anti-reverse you can depend on, with no lever to accidentally turn off or snag line. Reliability and performance—that’s Saltist.

Saltist® Features:
Rugged, all-metal construction
Fast 6.2 to 1 gear ratio retrieves up to 53 inches of line with every crank!
Five CRBB corrosion resistant ball bearings
Digigear™ digitally designed and machined gearing, ultra-strong and ultra smooth
Tubular stainless Air Bail
Sealed, waterproof drag
Rotor brake keeps bail in convenient position when opened
Dual, full-time anti-reverse
Reliable manual bail trip
Machined aluminum handle
Twist Buster®

STT4500H

Digigear®
Digital gear design ensures a perfect mesh.

CRBB
Super Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings.

Model
Number Action
FW / SW Bearings Gear Ratio Line Per
Handle Turn Wt.
(oz.) Line Capacity
(Lb. Test / Yards) Drag Max
Spinning
STT4000H - / H 5CRBB, 1 RB 6.2 : 1 44.5 20.30 12/260, 14/210
SAMURAI BRAID: 40/320 22.0
STT4500H - / H 5CRBB, 1 RB 6.2 : 1 44.5 20.10 14/300, 17/220
(SAMURAI BRAID:40/440,55/330) 22.0
STT5000H - / XH 5CRBB, 1 RB 6.2 : 1 53.1′ 25.60 17/310,20/240
(SAMURAI BRAID:55/440,70/330) 33.0
STT6000H - / XH 5CRBB, 1 RB 6.2 : 1 53.1 25.40 25/250,30/210
(SAMURAI BRAID:70/440,80/330) 33.0
STT6500H - / XH 5CRBB, 1 RB 6.2 : 1 53.1′ 24.40 25/300,30/250
(SAMURAI BRAID:70/550,80/440) 33.0

CRBB = Super Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearing, BB = Stainless Steel Ball Bearing, RB Roller Bearing

quote name='Alan Hawk' timestamp='1335800197' post='3129']
Thanks for the kind words Don, much appreciated :)

If you could get parts of the Dogfight I'd still choose the Stella over it, more so in your case as you need a reel that casts far and the SW outcasts the Dogfight by a good 10-15% margin as per my own tests.
[/quote]

#8 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

Alan Good Day. Looking for feedback on the Saltist STT6000H - / XH 5CRBB, 1 RB 6.2 : 1 53.1 25.40 25/250,30/210
(SAMURAI BRAID:70/440,80/330) 33.0
have you ever gutted one of these.?? How would this stack up.?? I know its not a Stella, but its only $220.00 Do you have any thoughts on this Diawa reel.? This is certainly more in a better price range. Just would like to know your opinion on this reel. It has a really quick retreave which for its price range is really hard to find. Your thoughts. Thanks Regards Don

#9 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

I did spend a lot of time with the Saltist and I was very underwhelmed. It looks good initially but when used for any length of time and subjected to considerable stress the reel disappoints. The way the handle is attached to the body is pretty cheap and you'll need to re-tighten the screw every few trips. But the biggest problem of the reel is the line roller which runs on a synthetic bushing instead of a proper bearing. It will jam and stop turning at one point, then the braid will saw into it and fray. Someone posted a tutorial of changing the bushing into a bearing but I wouldn't bother because the reel is pretty overpriced in my book. The Exceler T is basically the same reel minus the one-piece bail wire, it has an extra bearing that goes properly into the line roller, and it's $70 dollars cheaper. Unfortunately it's a 4.6:1 reel more suited for jigging.

Best.

#10 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thank you Alan. Really appriciate the feedback. Maybe not such a good choice. Was reading another one of your reviews earlier today on the Van stal reel. You mentioned that you ranked that reel number 4. Was wondering if you could give me your top 5-surf reels that you feel are something that you would purchase. As I mentioned I fish off the beach in Cabo for roosterfish and speed kills down there. Need the reel to really retreive quickly, and be able to take some abuse, and have a drag that holds up well. you can get into some fairly large fish down there from the beach, upwards of 50-lbs they can certainly take some line. I guess you need to spend the money to get the goods. But if you had a list of surf reels that you feel are worthy of your seal of approval, I would greatly appriciate the heads up. I need to purchase something pretty soon. Thanks allot really injoy your knowledge. Regards don

#11 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Here are my lists

http://www.alanhawk....iews/lists.html

I don't have a list for surf reels because there isn't an exact definition of what constitutes a "surf reel". Some people would only call a 100% waterproof reel a "surf" one, others who don't swim with reels would find reels with basic protection sufficient, and others would only use a long cast reel on the beach. The criteria you mentioned (strong guts, drag, speed, etc) make me believe that your original choice of a 18000 SW is quite right.

Best

#12 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks Alan. found your site. its quite impressive. will pass the info along to some other hard core surf guys. Thanks allot for all of your information. Regards Don

#13 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

You're always welcome! Tight lines :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users