Neep help choosing a rod builder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Any good rod builders out there? I know all the sponsors on 360tuna, but was wondering if you guys could recommend somebody else. professional or good forum users. thanks

#2 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Ive used Joe from terminator tackle(he does not build them himself but does have a thorough understanding of how they should be laid out) he goes over everything with you and makes sure that the rod is built for you.Some of the other builders that do this just have standard specs that they apply to everyone regardless of size. He has built two jigging rods for me along with a popping rod,and he just built a popping rod for my wife (shes 5'2) and it fits her perfectly.I am very happy with my choice,and his prices are great as well

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I highly recommend our member rodwinder who is my personal rod builder.
Rodwinder is respected by many other rod builders.
Many rod builders don't fish and just build rods, but Ralph,rodwinder is also an avid fisherman all his life.

#4 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Rodwinder or Mike Garone.

What is your budget, what kind of rod?

#5 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

I Will send ridwinder a pm. I am building two black Hole 250g rods. Much similar look as the Smith amj 52h with lowrider titanium guides fuji pss... Thinking of blue Eva grips with spilt on the back. Spiral config. Ballpark prize is around 500usd

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

hafnor,

I highly recommend to learn how to build your own rods unless you need fancy wrapping.
I saves lots of money and it is fun.

Some rod builders use a rod building company in PA for their orders.
I visited the company and they build rods for decent prices though they are not taking orders from individuals. they have all specs on the website and customers can choose what they want.
We tried to connect their website to JIGNPOP so that customers can order form our site.
But it was too much work for us and we postponed it. But it is still in our plan because the price is very reasonable and customers can order what they want.

Mike Garone which Angelo mentioned is another rod builder you can trust. He is also an avid fisherman.

#7 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Sounds nice! I love the bh rods, but the 350g is to much of a rod for halibut! the 250 will be perfect! I would love to build my own rods but as I am only a student the economy is a bit stiff if I were to order a rod rack, glue, epoxy, finish etc... shipping is also very expensive to Norway... and tax. 25%! Once I have a stabile economy I might give it a try but for now I might stick with a rodbuilder. Thanks, and I will keep you posted on the rod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users