My Ultimate Challenge: Swordfish on jig in 1700 ft deep

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

It may sound like crazy. But this will be my ultimate challenge to catch swordfish on jigs in 1500 - 1800 ft deep in Florida daytime.
I jigged for tile upto 1000 ft using manual reels, but it is totally different fishing for targeting big swordfish on jigs in such deeper water.

I caught two swordfish on jigs on a single night, but it was an accidental catches while jigging tuna.

To do this, I have to find a good Capt who can do power drift so that my line doesn't drift away.

#2 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

What reel? the Jm may have too high gear ratio... sounds very cool!

#3 Eandersen

Eandersen
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

That JM 20 may be a little heavy to swing all day...what reel that is light enough to jig for more than 20 min that has the line cap?

#4 Jorge Fidalgo

Jorge Fidalgo
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Kil, Capt.Bouncer Smith is probably your man.

#5 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Sounds like a great idea Kil. You need a designated reeler on the trip? :D

I hope you get one of the smaller daytime fish. Also I think you can still use a breakaway weight attached to the line/jig so that you can get to the bottom in a hurry. Then shake it off. For example use a coffee can full of cement/lead and attach to bottom of jig via light rubber band.

Make sure you take video of the process.

#6 BIGWAVEDAVE

BIGWAVEDAVE
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Sounds like a great idea Kil. You need a designated reeler on the trip? :D

I hope you get one of the smaller daytime fish. Also I think you can still use a breakaway weight attached to the line/jig so that you can get to the bottom in a hurry. Then shake it off. For example use a coffee can full of cement/lead and attach to bottom of jig via light rubber band.

Make sure you take video of the process.

That's the only way you are going to get the jig that deep with 1700' feet of line tied to the jig!The good thing in your favor is during the day the fish seem to swim to the surface where you have a chance to land one.Good luck for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users