P.E. I. giant in 2012

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have two trips to P.E.I. in September 2012.
One trip is with Korean fishermen during Labor Days and the other trip s Sept 15 - 17 for three days with West Coast fishermen, Jaime (fishordie) and David (fishybuzz).
I might have one more trip in Sept as I have another group who want to fish with me for giant in P.E.I..

#2 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

This thing is going to be sick. I cannot wait.

See you at the Show Kil

Jamie

#3 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Try to keep your pants on Jamie :D

I dont blame you though!

#4 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

When I was younger girls paid me to take off my pants.... Now they pay me to keep them on.... Bummer.

Jamie

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Three days trips means 6 trips ( two trips a day).
You can catch and release one giant a trip. We fish within only three miles from the dock and it takes 15 minutes from fishing ground to the dock.
After releasing a giant, the boat comes to the dock and go out again for the second trip.
You are targeting 600 lb - 1000 lbs giant on standup and you expect to lose many giant because everything has to be perfect to land a giant.

#6 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

kil remember to save me a spot...probably on Jamies trip because I know he will need help reeling one in... those west coasters are known for their weak wrists :thumbsu:

#7 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

kil remember to save me a spot...probably on Jamies trip because I know he will need help reeling one in... those west coasters are known for their weak wrists :thumbsu:

Scott, I believe Jenn has already confirmed to most of us why your Wrists were so strong when she met you...... Hmmmm. Based on the information she gave us I am surprised you are not blind or losing your hair..... Oh Wait.....But her information does explain the hair on your palms...Just sayin....LOL. I don't care who you are that is just plain funny right there. Unfortunately you might be right. I am getting older after all.

Jamie

#8 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Scott, I believe Jenn has already confirmed to most of us why your Wrists were so strong when she met you...... Hmmmm. Based on the information she gave us I am surprised you are not blind or losing your hair..... Oh Wait.....But her information does explain the hair on your palms...Just sayin....LOL. I don't care who you are that is just plain funny right there. Unfortunately you might be right. I am getting older after all.

Jamie

I sure am gonna miss that humor down in Panama this week :rolleyes: Now I have to break in a whole new set of guys.

#9 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:10 AM

Now you went and did it. I am jealous as heck. You guys are gonna have a blast. If you accidentally hook into something bigger than 60 pounds it's okay if you hand it off. It's better than crying and blaming your lack of endurance on some bout with Black Mold.... Admit it, you just gittin old. I just realized the girl behind the bar serving cocktails last year was talkin bout you not me when she said Who Dat Bald Ol Dude. He looks like he has strong wrists.....

Jamie

#10 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

I sure am gonna miss that humor down in Panama this week :rolleyes: Now I have to break in a whole new set of guys.

Scott, How the heck did I miss out on commenting on this fairly obvious post. Never mind, you set this one up Waaaay too easy. Jenn is such an nice girl
pretending to be your lady. Good front for a guy who intends to (Break In A Whole New Set Of Guys). I am not judging but I am glad I now know the truth.
Have fun with your new boys. Good thing that sort of thing is legal in Panama. In Texas they may not be as open minded. Now in Arkansas.... you might be okay.

Jamie

#11 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

Scott, How the heck did I miss out on commenting on this fairly obvious post. Never mind, you set this one up Waaaay too easy. Jenn is such an nice girl
pretending to be your lady. Good front for a guy who intends to (Break In A Whole New Set Of Guys). I am not judging but I am glad I now know the truth.
Have fun with your new boys. Good thing that sort of thing is legal in Panama. In Texas they may not be as open minded. Now in Arkansas.... you might be okay.

Jamie

You know what they say....."what happens in Panama,stays in Panama"

#12 mrbill

mrbill
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Are the gaints present in PEI in mid/late August? My wife and I are looking for a place to avoid the high heat that time of year in Texas. I was in shock when I found out that it will cost about 8K for two people to fly to Nova Scotia and get to PEI. Oh well, you have to pay for things that are still on your bucket list.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Are the gaints present in PEI in mid/late August? My wife and I are looking for a place to avoid the high heat that time of year in Texas. I was in shock when I found out that it will cost about 8K for two people to fly to Nova Scotia and get to PEI. Oh well, you have to pay for things that are still on your bucket list.

Yes, you catch giant in Aug. In fact, Japanese fishermen fished during Aug and I believe they booked in Aug this year too.

Giant are caught in July too. I might go up to P.E.I in July this year if Capt says to come up.
But they are not reliable in July and Aug like in Sept/early Oct when spawning herring move into the areas and giant follow them which usually starts in late Aug.

#14 mrbill

mrbill
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

Any recomendations on where to stay in PEI?
Any good places to eat?

You mentioned that once a gaint is hooked and released (and I believe even fought until the hook spits), the boat must return to the dock and then leave again. Are both of those trips considered a one day charter, or do you have to pay twice if you go out on the second trip that same day? Sorry for the questions, but I like knowing things in advance instead of finding out once I get there. :rolleyes:

Edited by mrbill, 25 May 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

Any recomendations on where to stay in PEI?
Any good places to eat?

You mentioned that once a gaint is hooked and released (and I believe even fought until the hook spits), the boat must return to the dock and then leave again. Are both of those trips considered a one day charter, or do you have to pay twice if you go out on the second trip that same day? Sorry for the questions, but I like knowing things in advance instead of finding out once I get there. :rolleyes:

You can catch/release one giant per trip. If you lose giant, it is not regarded as catch/release. If you book a full day trip, you have two half day trip.
Some boats offer $500 for a half day trip.

#16 mrbill

mrbill
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for your quick response. So, if I chartered one of Tony's fishing boats for three days, I could get lucky and release six giants in three days. :thumbsu:

#17 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for your quick response. So, if I chartered one of Tony's fishing boats for three days, I could get lucky and release six giants in three days. :thumbsu:

Yes.

#18 mrbill

mrbill
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

I just talked with a girl from Tony's fishing. I'm tryng to book dates and get flights in order. I hate to be there and not find a boat, or have a boat booked and not be able to fish because flights are full. The wonderful world of trying to get a vacation/fishing trip put together. I'll sleep in the harbour, but the wife wants the best place possible. :angry: Traveling with the wife causes many headaches. They want to plan every single day in advance where I would rather fly by the seat of my pants. Every single night of our nine day trip will be planned out. That's good and bad. She has now taken over the planning. <_< I just want to fish.

Tony's girl told me he might be running 3 boats this year instead of the two he ran last year. Hopefully it all comes together. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can charter a herring boat just to observe the bluefins feeding off the back. :rolleyes:

Edited by mrbill, 26 May 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#19 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

Mr Bill,
Herring run usually start from late Aug. You might miss it, but giants are there.
The best lodging I can find there is Roller Bay Inn in Souris which is about 12 - 15 miles from the North Lake Harbor. Driving along the shoreline is just beautiful.

Tony usually brings lobster sandwich and drinks on the boat for customers.
Don't forget to eat oyster. It is pretty pricey($1 per oyster), but the taste of raw oyster is unbelievable.

I fish with Capt Tony for three days during Labor Days and with Capt Greg for three days in mid Sept this year.

#20 mrbill

mrbill
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the lodging information. I think I am staying at Rolling Bay Inn. I am no longer in charge of the trip. Since my wife is going on the trip with me, she took charge of all reservations except the fishing which already changed the trip dates. :( She doesn't trust me with hotels and places to stay as I really don't care. She cares so I'm guessing we will be staying at the most expensive places available.

It's amazing how much they charge you for booking and changing flights the dates 24 hours later. :angry: I think she told me we now have to fly first class because of the date change. Nothing else is available She knows my life evolves around fishing. All other activities are up to her as long as they don't evolve seeing museums and art galleries.

It looks like I will fish with Tony about a week before you. In fact, I will be somewhere in Nova Scotia while you are fishing. I think I leave for home the Sunday before Labor Day.

Good luck on your trip. I'll try my best to wear out all bluefin tuna at PEI before I depart. That way you can catch and release all tired fish that won't fight hard. :thumbsu:

BTW, I am a lobster eating machine. I will probably eat a dozen lobsters a day while I visit that part of the world.

Edited by mrbill, 27 May 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#21 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island are not for sightseeing though it is very beautiful rural countries for relaxing.
By 6:00 pm, every shop is closed. Even we had hard time to buy something to eat/drink after 6:00 pm.

When herring run start which usually happens by mid/late Aug, fishing ground is only a few miles from North Harbor. You might travel a little far if herring run doesn't start when you visit there. Check with Capt Tony whether they have standup rod/reel. They have one set, but I believe not all three boats have them.

If you need any help, let me know.

I arranged NZ fishermen with Capt Greg for a week fishing in mid Sept. They travel all around the world with their 80' Viking and they decided to fish P.E.I. at my recommendation.
I might go a few days earlier than my charter to fish with them a day or two.

#22 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

I talked with Capt Greg of Tightlinetours today.
Giant are there already in front of Souris (southeast of P.E.I).
I hope they can find smaller 200 - 400 lb giant. :)
I have two trips to PEI in September, but I might go up there before Sept if fishing is good.

#23 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

We have two three days trip to P.E.I. in Sept.

1st trip:
dates: Sept 1 - Sept 3 (Labor Days)
Capt: Capt Tony

2nd trip:
dates: Spet 15 - Sept 17
Capt: Capt Greg

Due to cancellation, we have a few spots available.
The cost is $1,000 plus tip per boat per day ( this is last year's rate and I'll find out whether the rate is same or not this year). Three - four fishermen fish on a boat.
You are welcome to bring your own tackle. If you don't have a standup tackle, we'll provide tackle consisted of Black Hole custom standup rod, JM PE20 and Braid's harness ( new Samurai harness).

Lodging is arranged with Roller Bay Inn in Souris. The rate is about $70 - $80 plus tax per room.

#24 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

We have two three days trip to P.E.I. in Sept.

1st trip:
dates: Sept 1 - Sept 3 (Labor Days)
Capt: Capt Tony

2nd trip:
dates: Spet 15 - Sept 17
Capt: Capt Greg

Due to cancellation, we have a few spots available.
The cost is $1,000 plus tip per boat per day ( this is last year's rate and I'll find out whether the rate is same or not this year). Three - four fishermen fish on a boat.
You are welcome to bring your own tackle. If you don't have a standup tackle, we'll provide tackle consisted of Black Hole custom standup rod, JM PE20 and Braid's harness ( new Samurai harness).

Lodging is arranged with Roller Bay Inn in Souris. The rate is about $70 - $80 plus tax per room.

Cant wait dont forget to let me know how we are traveling(car or plane) and yes jen is able to video with jane so we should have at least two HD cameras and the Go Pro
I know Racko wants to join us if there is room and my friend John is interested....Let me know how many spots are available

Edited by bowguide, 20 August 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#25 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

They catch some giant south of Souris now, but the catch ratio is 50 percent at best.
Herring run hasn't started yet, but it can happen anytime from now on.
We are going to wait until tomorrow for the herring run.
It it doesn't happen by tomorrow, we are going to postpone our first trip during Labor Day.

#26 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

We are going to leave for P.E.I. tomorrow.
Black Hole rods, JM PE20 as well as new Braid's Samurai fighting belts will be tested for giant.

Here is a picture of new Braid's Samurai belt which is an upgraded version of Braid's Power Play belt.

Posted Image

#27 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Scott,
I sent you an email.
I post the address of Rollo Bay Inn in Souris just in case.

Rollo Bay Inn
1067 Lower Rollo Bay Rd
Souris, P.E.I.
tel. 877-687-3550

http://www.peisland.com/rollobayinn/

Owner Tom said not to put the address on GPS as it always gives wrong direction for some reason. Instead, he said to put Rollo Bay Green.
Rollo Bay Inn is just past Rollo Bay Green golf course on Rt 2.

#28 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Kil, Jenn and Scott,

Have an amazing time. I am really pissed my messed up shoulder is keeping me from this unbelievable experience......Have an great and successful trip. I already wish I was there.

And Bill really needs to post his experiences as he must be having a blast.

Jamie

#29 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

Sept 2

We fished with Capt Spencer who is Capt Greg's son out of North Lake Harbor today.
After catching mackerel, we dropped the line, but it was pretty slow for two hours until we heard screaming drag sound. But unfortunately tuna pulled the hook. Within half hour, we had a solid hookup and Scott fought the first giant.
Surprisingly video we took showed that Capt Spencer got the leader after 10 minutes 50 seconds fight and released 650 lb giant after 12 minutes fight.
Scott fought 55 lb drag and he never used lower gear at all. It is too early to give a review of a reel after one fight, but it looks JM PE20 is not the same reel we used to use.

Prototype Black Hole giant standup rod and JM PE20 ready for a battle.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:56 AM

I just realized I replied on the other site. Best of luck to you all. Hope you release a grander tomorrow. Way to go for the Virgin Scott all dressed in White. Go Get em Jenn and the rest of you all. Very best of luck.

Jamie

#31 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

After scott's catch, we went back to dock and went out again.
We put two rods. One with prototype Black Hole Rod/JM PE20 filled with 200 lb JB Hollow/200 lb mono and the other with 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special/JM PE10 filled with 130 lb JB Hollow.
A giant took dead herring on450 Black Hole rod. This time Scott's wife Jenn fought the fish.
It was her first big tuna, but she fought like a veteran. I thought she could land the giant, but unfortunately 130 lb main line got broken not far from the boat.
I am confident she will land a giant on standup tomorrow.

When we got back to the spot, we saw a few boats fighting.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Jan fighting a giant like a vereran
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Capt Spencer's father Capt Greg fished commercially today and landed 919 lb.
Posted Image

Greg gave us some meat from head.
It is a little chewy for sashimi, but it was excellent for streak.
Posted Image

Posted Image

We are going to fish with Capt Tony tomorrow.
Herring boats will fish tonight and we expect good fishing tomorrow.

#32 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

I just got back from P.E.I.

We fished with Capt Tony yesterday ( Sept 3). We had a good news that a herring boat was working and tuna were there around the boat when we left the dock.
As soon as we got there, we threw baited hook. But two commercial boats hooked up giant before we did. Capt Tony Showed courtesy and left the area so that commercial boats fight without any interference though we marked many tuna there.

Current was pretty strong and we didn't hook up a giant until mid afternoon. Our moment came. We had a hookup along with two other boats nearby. Jenn fought the fish. The giant didn't make a long run and she could bring it close the boat within 5 minutes. I thought she could beat Scott's 12 minutes fighting time, but unfortunately the giant pulled the big circle hook.

Tony got a phone call from a commercial Capt he knows. They had a giant commercially and asked Tony to come to his herring net. When we got there, we could see several giant marks on the screen. The commercial boat came and lifted one side of herring net. When we threw dead herring, big giant came up to the surface to take herring !! They were all big and some were over 1,000 lbs.
We decided to threw baited hook without playing with them.
It took only a few second a big 900 plus giant took the baited hook in front of us !!!
Game is on and Jenn positioned to fight.
When the giant made several spectacular long runs and I was concerned Jenn could handle the giant. But she did splendid job from the start to the finish as you see in the pictures below.
I observed Jan Howard fight a big yft on a long range boat. She fought calmly with a pose like a true veteran. Jenn fought with power and stamina thought she is lacking in experience.
She brought the giant close to leader within 45 minutes, but it made a long dove and Jenn needed another 25 - 30 minutes to bring the fish to the boat. We got the leader and tried to pull the giant, but unfortunately the line got broken. I felt sorry for Jane because she did everything to bring the giant to the boat and she said she would jump into the water to take pictures with fish.
Jenn used prototype Black Hole rod JM PE20 filled with 200 lb JB Braid. The setup was a great for giant and I'll discuss about the tackle setup later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As soon as we hooked up a giant, several boats converged from no where.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Starting drag was 55 lb but she fought at 72 lb drag at the end.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I fished giant in P.E.I. on 7 trips in three years. I caught many giant as well as I observed others fight many giant. I can say the 900 lb giant Jenn fought could be one of the hardest fighting giant I've seen. It still took drag at 72 lb to the end. Congratulations Jenn.
You'll have no problem to land 100 - 200 lb yft on JIGNPOP 9/12 days trip on the Excel
in Jan 2013. :)

#33 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

Excellent report and photos Kil. She's such a strong lady :)

#34 Inspiro

Inspiro
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Thanks alot for the report
How can she manage such huge drag for long time without a chair, the harness must be the secret

#35 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thanks alot for the report
How can she manage such huge drag for long time without a chair, the harness must be the secret

She has very strong legs as he used to be a body builder.
And also she used the rail of the boat for her advantage when needed.

#36 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

So how do I go about buying one of these giants?

Have seafood handling license.

Kil, next time you go you have to trailer bonar box for me for the fish :)

#37 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

I need to go !!!! I could hear the excitement in your voice today as we talked Kil and that is after you are back home :)

#38 mrbill

mrbill
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Congrats to Jenn. That's putting the wood to the tuna.

Every boat in PEI that has the right commerical permit to catch tuna can only keep one tuna per year. One kill tuna per boat per year. They can release as many as they please with paying customers. If you happen to get lucky, you can catch one, return to the dock and tie up by 1:00pm, and then un-tie and return to the water for another chance. If you happen to bring one to the boat and can't make it to the dock by 1:00pm, then your fishing day is over.

They don't necessarily keep the 1000# ones. Sometimes they keep the 600-800# one because they have a better quality. The fish is graded after they cut off the tail and inspect the quality of the meat. If you happen to keep a low grade tuna you will only get about $8 a pound. The fish is weighted after removal of head, tail and guts. If the tuna taken is of high quality, it will get a price of up to $29 per pound.

They have to use circle hooks when fishing with customers. They can use "J" hooks if they are looking for their kill tuna. When they are commercial fishing for their one tuna, they only use about 20#s of drag. They believe that having the tuna on for 8-12 hours with light drag pressure will keep the tissue free of enzimes and they will get a better price. They also have a rule that you have to cut the line after 1 hour with a customer. That is why you have to fish with lots of drag. There is no one timming you so if you take a little longer it's no big deal.

Those lobster and tuna permits are closed for purchase. The only way you can get one is to buy one from a current holder. Normally, it's handed down from one generation to another. But, you have to pay your father around 375,000 for the permit. It's like a mortage. You pay him off yearly until it's time for you the sell it to your son. It's like a retirement package for Dad. It's a way of making a living to pay your bills, feed your family, etc. They all work very hard and all are professionals.

#39 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

They don't necessarily keep the 1000# ones. Sometimes they keep the 600-800# one because they have a better quality. The fish is graded after they cut off the tail and inspect the quality of the meat. If you happen to keep a low grade tuna you will only get about $8 a pound. The fish is weighted after removal of head, tail and guts. If the tuna taken is of high quality, it will get a price of up to $29 per pound.

When we fished on the first day, there were 6 giant caught commercially and only two giant had good grade and more value though they were smaller.

When Scott caught and released 650 lb giant in 12 minutes, Capt Spencer said he would keep the giant to sell if he had ice/bag on his boat.

#40 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

We originally fish with one boat on the second trip ( Sept 15 - 17), but we need two boats now.

One group from NZ got a 1,000 lb giant on their first day of one week fishing today. Congratulations. I know they catch giant in South Island, NZ, but 1,000 lb giant are very rare in NZ.

#41 Ron Z

Ron Z
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

great pics and post kil hope to see you soon

#42 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

great pics and post kil hope to see you soon

Hi Ron Z,
You know me. I'll be in Cape Cod when tuna feed heavily from late Sept through Oct. :)

#43 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

814 lb giant caught on Capt Tony recently.

Posted Image

#44 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

We booked two boats.
Josh, Kevin and myself fish with Capt Greg and
Scott and Racko fish with Capt Spencer. They charges $1,000 excluding tip per day per boat. I fished both of them. They are great Capt and work very hard.

Josh and myself drive up on Thursday to meet fishermen from NZ who has been fishing for a week.
Scott and Kevin will drive up on Friday while Racko flies to P.E.I on Friday.

Here is tackle suggestion.

rods: I bring standup rods, but you can bring your rods if you want to use your own.
I highly suggest to bring a popping rod to tease them on surface without hooks. It is time they feed on herring and we expect lots of surface action.

reels: 50/70/80 filled with at least 600 yards of 200 lb braid.

leader line: 200 lb. They are not line shy at this time of year. You don't need fluoro carbon.

harness/fighting belt: bucket harness is a must.

Roller Bay Inn we are staying provide light breakfast and the boats provide lunch/drinks.

We have an option to eat dinner at restaurant and cook ourselves at Roller Bay Inn.

Tom of Roller Bay Inn kindly allow us to take shower free after fishing on the last day (Sept 17).

The distance from GW Bridge to Roller Bay Inn in Souris, P.E.I. is about 900 miles it takes about 16 hours if you drive non-stop. Road condition is pretty good.

#45 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

09-14

After driving 14 hours nonstop, Josh and I arrived at Roller Bay Inn in Souris at 4:00 am on Sept 4. After having breakfast and some rest, we headed for North Lake Harbor.
Capt Tony group from NZ were waiting for us.

Loaded herring at the dock
Posted Image

Herring boats were there and tuna were near the herring boat.

Posted Image

We didn't waist any time because we wanted to hook up a giant before boat traffic started.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was not big (about 500 lb) ,but it was a good start before other boats showed up.
Congratulations Alex for your first giant on standup.
Posted Image

We tried to get in the harbor after releasing first tuna, but we had hard time because boats were coming out from the harbor one after another.
Posted Image

As we expected giant became lock-jaw due to boat traffic.
Posted Image

Capt Greg decided to leave the boat traffic and lifted his own net, but he had to put the net back because there were too many herring on the net.
Posted Image

We marked tuna on the screen, but they were not in biting mood.
This year's fishing is definitely different from last year's.
Giant become very picky this year. They even don't hit poppers regularly though they are on the surface. It is not automatic to hook up a giant anymore.

After long wait, finally one giant decided to swallow our live mackerel and fight was on.
Bea took in charge and fought the giant using fighting chair. As you see her pictures, she showed her experience to fight very relaxed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Josh from NZ got the leader
Posted Image

Wow, big giant !!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was roughly over 110 inches. Capt Greg said this fish is similar to 920 lb giant he killed in length, but he estimated this fish about 1,000 lb as it is much fatter.
Thanks for the invite and congratualtions Bea and NZ team for the grand giant on the last fight of the trip. They want to come back next year. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Awesome Kil AWesome.

Not sure what I am doing here in California and not in PEI. I should forget about the Bum shoulder. Great job

Jamie

#47 mrbill

mrbill
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Looking at that last picture with the Coors Lite reminds me of my trip to PEI. I hate and dispise light beers. When I opened up the cooler on the boat and only saw Coors Light, I opted to just drink water. I'd probably have to drink 50 of those suckers just to get a buzz.

They actually make some good beers in Canada and Nova Scotia. There is a huge influence of Scotish decent. Generations of imigrants from Scotland are all over PEI and Nova Scotia. Very nice people and good manners. They also love to play the fiddle and Celeic music. Don't be surprised to see someone wearing kilts and playing the fiddle on your visit to a local pub.

The best thing in PEI is the lack of thiefs. You don't have to lock your doors or hide anything. They are honest and it wouldn't surprise me if they care of the very few instances yearly in their own manner. :thumbsu: I was in shock to see the way they sell something like our garage sales. They just place the items for sale at the end of their driveway with a bucket to place the money in after you deceide on what you desire. When you come home from work, you just look in your bucket and take out the money that was placed in it for items purchased. That method would last about one minute where I live.

Congrats to Bea. That's the second girl you've shown taking on a gaint. That's great. I'm glad she got it to the boat. Fighting from a chair with a 130 isn't easy for a person her size.

#48 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

I just got back from fishing. Fishing was great. Three guys jumped into the water after landing giant. :)
Detailed report and pictures will follow after dinner.

Posted Image

#49 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

09-15
Josh, Kevin and myself fished with Capt Greg and Scott and Rocko fished with Capt Robert.
It was wide open bites in the morning though most herring boats didn't work.
We lost first two giant due to tangle with herring nets.
Josh fought and released 900 plus lb fat giant in the morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We was extremely lucky to land the fish because 5 - 6 ft splicing slipped during the fight and only 2 1/2" was left.

Posted Image

After releasing the giant, we came back to the dock. Dennis Braid was waiting for us before he flied to California.
Posted Image

919 lb giant killed today. I heard 5 - 6 giant were caught commercially today.
Posted Image

Posted Image

After resting for an hour at the dock, we went out again in the afternoon.
Bites slowed down, but we managed to hook up another giant on boat rod with custom standup rod and Penn 80.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Scott and Rocko also had a fantastic day with Capt Robert.

We are heading to the dock now for another day's battle.

#50 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

09-17

Capt Greg decided to pull the herring net before starting fishing in the morning
Posted Image

And we went to Capt Spencer's Sun Catcher to deliver herring. Scott was fighting giant already.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I finally fought tuna. I saw big giant took the bait. It took 600 yards off PE 20 reel even on 45 lb drag. I knew I am in trouble. the line got caught on herring net, but luckily we cleared and fight continued. When the giant made a furious second run, 200 lb leader line got broken. The leader line might be get damaged when it tangled with the net or crimping was failed. With 50 plus lb drag, nothing is safe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tangling with herring net is a big issue.

Posted Image

Giant finally respond chunking last two days as it is used to be. I think hot bites will continue until mid Oct when giant start to migrate.
After chunking 5 - 10 minutes tuna were boiling on top.
Posted Image

tangle with a net.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image