GT on Christmas Island

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

I thought GT fishing is just so and so based on fishing reports I got.
But I read excellent GT trip on the Island by a group I know last year.

Here is his report:

Christmas Island (Kiritimati) is awesome. I just returned from a two week trip there last week and cant say enough good things. The island is promoted mostly as "the worlds best bone fishing", which it probably is. However, everything else shines. Yellowfin, Wahoo, sailfish, GT, Bluefin trevally, and a multitude of reef species make it a fishermans paradise. It is WAY laid back and a fish at your own pace kind of place. It should be on every fisherman's radar. DO NOT expect a Palm Beach charter boat or crew. You fish out of homemade boats and have to bring all your own tackle but that is part of it's charm. Already planning next years trip

Caught fifty or sixty GT. Most were 25-45lbs but had casting on the flats. They (the lodge) have instituted a no chum or bait policy for GT. It seems to be preventing the fish from getting trained as they did in midway several 60plus with the biggest about 75-80. The reef also claimed many. Had 5 on the fly rod in the lagoon to about 30lbs sight

We (wife and myself) stayed at the villages on christmas. The place is clean and well keep. We did fish on the outriggered boats. At present there is only one "normal" boat on the island, about a 25 foot super panga w/ a 135 outboard. The honest truth is that the outrigger didn't present a problem for us, however I could see less experienced fisherman having some troubles. The beauty of Christmas is you can fish any way you would like and if you want to do or try something different you can. In our time there we spent about 2/3 the time in the ocean. We only trolled for tuna and wahoo in order to get to various trevally spots. Three times we actually had to take the trolling lures out of the water(because we were catching to many fish) in order to get to the GT grounds. There is a NO KILL policy in place for any lagoon species, bones, GT, Bluefin Trevally, etc. This is true if they are caught in the ocean or lagoon. The remainder of the time was in the lagoon or wading the ocean for trevally. You could break up the fishing styles and species any way you would like. On the island Tuna, GT, and bonefish and separated by minutes of travel time. Tuna in the early AM, Trevally plugging the reef mid day, and walk the flats for bones and GT in the afternoon.

It looks great. Is there any member who fished Christmas Island for GT ?

#2 Atlantic Tuna Project

Atlantic Tuna Project
  • Moderators
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

That sounds amazing Kil. I love destinations when you can mix the fishing up with on the water adventures and do it yourself missions from the lodge. Let's look at a popping trip here for next year. I would be interested to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users