• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image

I tend to recommend tackle after I test them myself.
When I got Heru Skipjack a few years ago, I just thought it was a kind of GT lures.
When I fished on the Big E out of Freeport, TX three years ago, I was using Shibuki most of time as it was deadly for yellowfin on surface. At the end of the trip, I decided to test Skipjack and got an instant hit on the first cast. After the trip, I gave a couple of skipjack to Capt Josh who was working as a mate. I heard later that Josh hammered bunch of yellowfin with the Skipjack. Still I just thought Skipjack is one of good tuna lures and didn't give any special attention to it.

Reggie, brother of John of Panama Sportfishing Lodge in Panama told me Skipjack lures are the best yellowfin catcher for him in Panama. Still I thought he caught many yellowfin on the lures as he had a confidence in the lures as he caught tuna with them.

But, I had a chance to observe with my own eyes when I fished in Panama in late April.
Indeed, The Skipjack got attention from yellowfin more than any other lure by a great margin.
The close second was Yozuri Sashimi Bull lure.
They started with big 150g Skipjack and even small 30 - 40 lbs yft hammered them.
When they lost all big Skipjack, they used small 60g Skipjack, but it didn't matter because yft still hammered the lures.

I plan to fish in Gulf of Mexico for yellowfin popping around oil rigs this year and compare the effectiveness of Skipjack with other well known lures this summer or fall.

my first yft caught on a Skipjack on the Big E three years ago.
Posted Image

yft in Pamana just love this lure.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Hi Kil,

I hope you added a couple of purple in the 150 and next size down and a couple of blue with Chartruese 150's and the next size down to my order. Those poppers worked amazing regardless who was throwing them.

Jamie

#3 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

kil did you have to bring back that terrible memory of losing my 150 skipjack? LOL seriously though I think that was the top producer along with the sashimi bull down there.That will definitely be part of my "prize package" when I finally get up to your shop

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hi Kil,

I hope you added a couple of purple in the 150 and next size down and a couple of blue with Chartruese 150's and the next size down to my order. Those poppers worked amazing regardless who was throwing them.

Jamie

Jamie,
Skipjack come with 60g, 90g, 120g and 150g.
We had only 150g and 60g on the Panama trip.

Skipjack is very easy to work and cast great.

#5 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

Jamie,

I would love to try the 1 ea. 90 G in both colors, 1 ea. 120G in both colors and 2 ea. 150 G in both colors I noted.

Jamie

#6 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

Jamie,

I would love to try the 1 ea. 90 G in both colors, 1 ea. 120G in both colors and 2 ea. 150 G in both colors I noted.

Jamie

#7 Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:06 AM

Guys ,

Heru Skipjack can be use as " chugger " by lowering the tip of the rod using side stroke or can be used as " pencil " by raising the rod tip , both techniques are effective for GT and Tuna alike as well as other species . The horizontal eyelet at the tail will enable an ordinary single hook to be used to face upward or downward by means of a splitring when the use of treble hook at the tail may be considered to be a hinder such as in the case of sailfish fishing , combination treble on the belly and big single hook facing upward at the tail is favored .

Jon .

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

Guys ,

Heru Skipjack can be use as " chugger " by lowering the tip of the rod using side stroke or can be used as " pencil " by raising the rod tip , both techniques are effective for GT and Tuna alike as well as other species . The horizontal eyelet at the tail will enable an ordinary single hook to be used to face upward or downward by means of a splitring when the use of treble hook at the tail may be considered to be a hinder such as in the case of sailfish fishing , combination treble on the belly and big single hook facing upward at the tail is favored .

Jon .

Excellent advice, Jon.
I already noticed the lure is very versatile and easy to use.
Several guys used Skipjack lures in Panama. They are very good fishermen, but they are new to tuna popping. Still it didn't matter. They caught more tuna with Skipjack than others who used other lures. Some was popping hard and some was twitching. All worked.

#9 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

Yes,

These Skipjacks were deadly for Yellowfin Tuna, Snapper and Amberjack. These and Scott's Bull Sashimi where the hot tickets by far.

Jamie

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:40 AM

Yes,

These Skipjacks were deadly for Yellowfin Tuna, Snapper and Amberjack. These and Scott's Bull Sashimi where the hot tickets by far.

Jamie

Jamie,
I didn't have Heru Tuna on the trip. The shape of Yozuri Sashimi Bull and Heru Tuna are similar. I always try to minimize tackle when traveling and I always regret when fishing start. :(

Yozuri Sashimi Bull
Posted Image

Heru Tuan
Posted Image

#11 Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

In 2005 I caught a 67 kg YFT using Heru Tuna 80 , check ;

Jon .

Attached Files

#12 jerome the belgian

jerome the belgian
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hi Kil;

Heru skipjack is also a nice GT lure

very nice when you are tired, and when you friends on the boat still fish with heavy popper, you just cast behind the popper :rolleyes:

[img][img]http://nsa20.casimages.com/img/2011/06/13/110613074020320639.jpg[/img][/img][img]http:/www.casimages.com][img]http://nsa20.casimages.com/img/2011/06/13/110613074020320639.jpg[/img]

Edited by jerome the belgian, 13 June 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Jerome,
nice to see you here. :thumbsu:
Do you have any plan to fish Cape Cod again ?
Fishing is not upto par right now, but it can be anytime they explode.

#14 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

In 2005 I caught a 67 kg YFT using Heru Tuna 80 , check ;

Jon .

Nice picture Jon.

#15 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

After my last Panama trip, the Heru Skipjack is my favorite topwater. You can cast very long distance and easy to work using several different technique.

#16 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

Jamie,
I didn't have Heru Tuna on the trip. The shape of Yozuri Sashimi Bull and Heru Tuna are similar. I always try to minimize tackle when traveling and I always regret when fishing start. :(

Yozuri Sashimi Bull
Posted Image

Heru Tuan
Posted Image

Hi Kil,

Chris had the hot Skipjack 150 and was kind enough to let both Willy and I play with it a bit as that popper just could not miss regardless who was throwing it. Chris was second highest stick with that popper behind Scott and gave Scott a run for his money up till the last day. I cannot wait to try out mine here on the West Coast.

Jamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users